Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Day 10- Asa's eating has gotten out of control. Whoever bet it would take 10 days, wins.

Our kids didn't get up till 10:30 this morning, we finally let them sleep in and that was the result. Although, we had to wake Calib up. The scary part about this is thats 2:30 in the afternoon back home. Oh boy, the time adjustment back is certainly going to be something. By this time we'd missed breakfast. Not that it really matters, because you can get food on this ship anytime you want. So we just headed up for family swim time in the indoor pool, and went to lunch afterward.

Right after lunch, the boys went to their kids club. They didn't even want to get off the ship, instead they just gave Asa and me instructions about what they wanted and headed off. The port today was Seward. Seward reminded me of frontier town at Cedar Point. There's a bunch of random shops, with wooden porches on a street not used by cars. To be fair, maybe they do normally have the street open for cars, but they were having their 4th of July celebration today, so it was all closed down. What do they do for fun in Alaska you ask? Well, they play some sort of game with eggs (I know this due to the dozens of eggs smashed on the street), they play tug of war (and seem to take it very seriously), and they have.. hold onto your seats folks.. the slowest bike rider contest. Whoever makes it to the finish line last without falling over wins. I kid you not. I get the impression that when the cruise ships aren't in port, theres like a tumbleweed blowing through town, except not.. because this is Alaska, but you get the picture. It's probably more like a Moose wandering through town.

We stopped by the train depot (which also reminded me of the frontier train stop), except sadly there was no cheese on a stick near by. The lady there was helpful. We had my laptop and were asking about wifi since I really hate to pay 5 bucks on the ship everytime I have a blog to post. She told us down by the 'bonanza' she usually see's people on facebook. Really? The Bonanza? Yup, we're in frontier town. So anyway, we headed down there and we were able to connect for $2.95 for an hour, which was better than the ship, so we paid it and I posted my latest two blogs. Then we wandered around the shops and headed into the information building, which was ligitmatly built out of sticks. We did pick out some things for the boys, since they had requested such things, and called Justin to see how things are at home. Porkchop is fine, I know you were all just as worried as me about the poor little guy. I saw a doggie shirt today that said 'My human went to Alaska and all I got was this lousy t-shirt'. Sadly, though, the smallest size was for 4 to 7 pound dogs, and that would be much to big for Porkers.

Asa and I also decided to stick our feet in this creek that was emptying into a lake. I can't even tell you if I've ever put my feet in water as cold as this. It was ridiculous. I don't even know how to describe it. Just leave out a bucket of ice fill it up with some cold water, and stick your feet in. If I stayed in any longer than it took to take my picture, I might have to be airlifted to seattle for frostbite or something. What makes it even worse, when we were leaving town and walked past it again there were three girls in bikini's getting in the water. Crazy, crazy Alaskans. At least they weren't wearing those furkini's. Yes, it's exactly what it sounds like. I told you, I've seen some weird things since I've been here.

Everyone kept talking about what a nice day it was weather wise today- I think mostly because it wasn't raining. It couldn't have been any warmer than the 50's. Apparently sunshine is at a premium in Alaska, but we've had a decent amount of it. I feel like I'm starting to get used to feeling cold. Then I keep thinking how hot home is going to feel like-- when I finally get back there. At least were heading far enough south it's actually kind of getting dark. That all night day light thing really off sets your internal clock.

When we got back on the ship,we spent some time around the ship playing ping pong and putt putt. However, here's the situation. I am pretty much so off kilter from this ship, I might as well be drunk the whole time. I told Asa I sure hope I don't have to pass a sobriety test on this ship, because I can't walk a straight line on board to save my life. Putt Putt was horrible as a result of this. Now, normally, I'm a pretty good putt putt-er. And normally, Asa ends up being a very poor sport. But, i just cannot get it together on this ship. So, my score suffered, and Asa finally won. He was thrilled at this development, and while he knows I am having a hard time with the ship, he's refused to believe his win had anything to do with it.

Then we met up with the boys for rock climbing. Last time they went, Calib made it up part way before giving up. Asa and Holly were taking bets on how far he would get this time. Not in front of Calib of course, as this would be poor parenting. The loser had to eat the grossest dessert on the menu at dinner. Calib climbed all the way to the top, rang the bell, and Asa had to eat sugar free key lime pie. (Asa is not a key lime fan to begin with)

So, lets talk food. Since we have gotten on the ship, Asa and Cort have been sitting next to each other. Everynight they discuss the possibility of two entree's. Well, tonight, they did not sit next to each other, and Cort ordered two appetizers, two entree's, and two desserts. Asa didn't realize this and while he ordered two entree's and two desserts (mostly due to the key lime pie bet he lost), he only had one appetizer. And, because this is competitive Asa, he has now deemed it a competition between the two of them, and Clint is encouraging this behavior. Clint told Asa tomorrow he has to get three entrees. I'm afraid Asa will accept this challenge. He can't be out eaten by a 'flex-atarian' (Thats what we call Cort, since he's not a vegetarian all the time, just most). The amount of food Asa has consumed on this trip could easily feed a third world country for weeks. I believe he had six meals today alone. Not including ice cream cones, or blueberry loaves he had as snacks. On the other side of the spectrum, today Hayden turned down cookies. Apparently when you eat about 15 of them over a 3 day period, the novelty wears off.

After dinner, all the kids went back to their clubs and we went to see a comedian perform. The guy was really pretty funny, but the singer they had before hand was just awful. As a first time cruiser, I had never actually understood that whole 'You sound like a cruise ship singer' thing Simon always said on American Idol. After watching this guy tonight, I totally got it. He was the epitome of a cruise ship singer. Cheese meter was off the charts on this guy.

By the time that was over, we only had a bit longer until we had to pick up with kids, so Cort and Asa played a game of pool, on what was supposed to be a self leveling pool table. 'Supposed' being the operative word. At one point nobody touched one of the balls, and it just rolled right on into a pocket. Cort was crushing Asa, until the non-existent self leveling worked in Asa's favor resulting in a scratch when Cort was trying to sink the 8 ball. Now Asa feels like it's his lucky day, beating two Sattler kids at games today. He said he just has to beat Clint at something tomorrow. He'll have to find Clint's weakness to beat him though. My downfall is my motion sickness, Corts is apparently the boat shifting in Asa's favor. Although, apparently it's a pretty big deal for Asa to beat a Sattler kid, so he'll take it anyway he can get it.

We all had this talk tonight about how sad it will be when we don't have an entire ship crew to wait on us hand and foot. I said it'll be really sad when I leave something for someone else to take care of it, only to find out I'm that someone else. But, until then I'm going to go ahead and let other people wait on me hand and foot. I'll cry about the adjustment period later.
We had to round off tonight with room service, because none of us had anything to eat in at least the last hour.

Count for the day:
Asa's Meals: 6
Asa's Deserts: 6
Asa's Coffee's: 4
Asa's Bathroom Trips: too many too keep count.

Tomorrow: Icy Straight... doesn't necessarily sound like an agreeable place for a Floridian, but we'll see.

No comments:

Post a Comment