Tuesday, December 31, 2019

So Long, 2019

In case you've been wondering what we've been up to in that weird void that is the week between Christmas and New Years, the answer is basically hanging out in the blanket fort, eating food, and watching lots of Disney Plus. 

There's been Charcuterie boards. 

And even a showing of Yogi's First Christmas. 


We also had a blanket for sleepover. I wasn't too sure about Dipper joining in the fun, but it was a good time anyway. Who doesn't love sleeping in a blanket fort? 


We went out to Ford's Garage to celebrate the New Year a few days early. 



Also, we got stuck by a bunch of cranes who just wandered right down the middle of the road. So that was fun. (I snapped this picture right when they were finally exiting the roadway. Those ass hats know nobody is going to hit them, and they will make you wait FOREVER). 


Asa won the holiday raffle at work and got a fun little gift bag. 


And there's been lots of football on, between bowl games.. 


And the very last Bucs game of the season. They lost. But, I was more sad about the last taco bar of the season. 



And, while I feel like it has been Christmas FOREVER, I am a little sad about not having the tree light the family room in the evenings anymore. I will probably take it down on the 1st or the 2nd. For real though, with Calib and his Christmas, I feel like it should have been the new year weeks ago..


We are finally here though,  New Years Eve. That's about to be a wrap for 2019.  I took the boys to the library for an Anime Club/Gaming event, and I was asking them about their favorite DAY of the whole decade. 

I picked the day we went to the Easter Egg Roll. Honorable Mention went to the day we drove from Anchorage to Fairbanks. 

Peyton chose his 15th Birthday in Maui. But, he was a big fan of his 9th Birthday in Alaska too (he's spoiled).  Then he threw in that day on the Oregon Coast. 

Hayden said his favorite day was when Bridgette puked in the trashcan at Cedar Point. But to be fair, his memory doesn't span all the way back to the begning of the decade. 

Calib's not here. But, I'm guessing he'd pick something from the trip he's on. But, maybe some sports related thing, although everytime we go anywhere the team we're rooting for loses. 

Asa tried to say it was the day we got married. But, he doesn't mean it, that day was stressful. He just thinks that's what he's supposed to say.  He threw in "that day in Alaska" (the same as my honorable mention). 

We have some of the holiday food left over. You know, the stuff that's super delicious but you should not be eating past the holidays. So, we put out one last bar to use up all those resources. Tomorrow it's back to cauliflower rice and lentils for lunch. 


And there's some time in the blanket fort. We even got Peyton around for a game of Mario Kart. He'll be out by 8 though, so no anticlimatic midnight celebration for him. That's if Etta doesn't wake him up with her fireworks freak outs. 


For my part, I'll spend some time in the blanket fort watching Disney plus with some drinks and some books, and maybe some games. But, mostly, also wrangling in the scare of fireworks dogs. 


I have no big end of the year wisdom to share. Some times I think this year was uneventful. Probably because there were no big trips, and not a lot the five of us did together. But, then when I think about it- Peyton started college classes, Calib got his license and went to Europe for the first time, Hayden turned 13- opening up the rare window where we're the parents of three teenagers. Asa not only got his Master's Degree this year, but he also went and got himself, which so far, is turning out to be the job of his dreams. 

As for me, I did ok. I finally feel like I am understanding my anxiety and getting a handle on that- I lost somewhere between 40 and 50 pounds (without gaining anything over the holidays), and overall have learned to take better care of my self. Plus I did everything at Disney, and that was cool!

So you know, we didn't go to Hawaii, or Alaska, or an Easter Egg Roll- but 2019 treated us ok. 

And 2020? Well, it's a year divisible by 4, which means we get an election year, an olympic year AND  a leap day year! Those are all my favorite things. Plus, Hayden and I haveconjured up not one but TWO year long projects- The Candy Bar Election (one more time!) AND the President's Birthdays. We already have lots of visitors on tap. Jake will be here in a couple weeks, my mom not too long after that, and then I hear we're gearing up for another LAN party. Peyton gets to hit the Carribbean with my family, Asa and I will be celebrating our 10 year anniversary, and I might even get to go with him on another work trip. 

So thats all I've got from here. 

Happy 2020, everyone! 



No comments:

Post a Comment