Monday, July 4, 2011

Day 8- Professer Plum, in the Guest House, with the Dumbbell

Today we're just cruising on the ship. It's also Peyton's birthday. First off, it's hard to make a kid feel more special on their birthdays, when everyone is getting whatever they want, whenever they want. Cake? Ice Cream? Psh.. You can have those 10 times a day if you want! And boy did my kids ever take advantage of that. Yesterday, for Peyton went something like this: birthday cake, birthday ice cream, birthday ice cream, birthday cake, birthday ice cream, birthday ice cream, birthday cake, birthday tummy ache. They did light a candle for him in the dining room at lunch, and sing to him, so that was nice.

We ordered room service for breakfast. The boys thought this was pretty cool, since we hardly ever stay at hotels that have room service, and if they do.. we never order it. But here, it's all included, so really, why not have room service?

Then we had to do the dreaded emergency preparation drill, or whatever they call it. Peyton was none too pleased this had to occur on his birthday. It was about 15 minutes long, and he spent much more than 15 minutes the night before complaining about it. It was quick though, and then we shipped the kids off to the oceaneers club. Hayden really liked his clubs, he made a chefs hat, and some candy. Calib and Peyton played some game called gaga ball, and made a bunch of friends. Meanwhile, Asa and I roamed the ship kid-free. The club is awesome, the kids can't wait to go-- AND they have no idea it's essentially a babysitter. Score!

Lunch was awesome in the diningroom. There was no lunch kids menu, they just asked what they would like. We ordered mac and cheese for Gwen, Garrett, and Calib. Some lady got on the phone to order the mac and cheese. It was like a mad dash to get the kids some mac and cheese, which Holly and I found hilarious. I mean, really, we could have ordered something else. But, man, the service on the cruise ship is something else. I have never been on another cruise ship before though, so I can't really say if it's anything over and above any other cruise line, but to us it's living the good life. Our steward turns our room down everynight (and places the boys stuffed animals strategically-- usually they're all looking up to the bald eagle who sits on top of the pillows), opens our door for us if he's in the hall way when we get back, and last night he knew to get me ice in our bucket before I even asked. And Asa just checked- I have new ice again. AND he took our laptop cords and wrapped them up all nice with a twisty tie and the velcro thing that we're too lazy to ever use. He's pretty cool. I wish I could take him home. I'd never have to clean up or make another bed again.

After lunch we went up to the top deck of the ship for Peyton to climb the rock climbing wall. He made it up to the top and rang the bell-- THREE times. Calib couldn't make it to the top, and he was really disappointed, he's so used to being good at everything. Asa, Clint, Jess, and Cort all also climbed up to the top. I took a picture of them all, but Clint was rather inappropriate with the safety harness, so I may have to be cropping that picture. The little kids played putt putt while we were waiting, and rather enjoyed it. Although, you had to watch to make sure it didn't get out of control, balls and clubs were flying all over.

We sailed up to the Hubbard glacier in the afternoon. It was a serious sight to be seen. It's hugely massive, and there was TONS of ice in the water. While we were sailing through we did hit some ice, at one point the tall planters around the pool were shaking pretty mightily. The views were gorgeous though. There were a couple seals along the way, I missed seeing any of them though. When the ship turned towards the glaciers, I went back to the room to see them from our balcony (They were on one side and then were supposed to go to the other side). Unfortunately, it was too risky to turn the ship the other direction because of all the ice, and the possibility of it getting stuck in the propellers. So, I missed all the action. The boys and Asa were still up on the deck swimming, so they got out to look as pieces of the glacier were breaking off and falling into the water. At one point the captain was having everyone on the ship yell scream and make noise to try and get pieces to fall. I'm sad I didn't get to see it, but the boys did, and they thought it was super cool. The captain said it was the most glacial activity he'd ever seen.

I had to take a nap after awhile, sea sickness was really starting to get to me. It was either go to bed, or go to the bathroom. I picked bed, for obvious reasons. I'm hoping the sea sickness does not persist, I have a whale watching cruise to go on tomorrow. I slept until dinner, and we went up to the Windjammer for some food. It's buffet style, and decent. Cort and his family were there too. It was formal night in the dining room, and since our formal is more like chili's or red robin, I thought it was best for our family to pass, but apparently our waiter was disappointed we weren't there, and had the kids menus out for everyone, ginger ale for Asa since he orders it everytime, and a high chair for Garrett. Clint, Jess and Mom came up to see us after they had dinner and told us all that. Cort said it was like upstairs was Ponderosa, and downstairs was Red Lobster.

After dinner, the kids went back to their clubs. The adults went and played Clue in the game room. Cort won. I was taking really good notes, but ran out of space, and lost interest, so I still had no idea who it was, in what room, or with what. Plus, at this point I was really getting sea sick. I took some more dramamine, and laid in bed. Asa went to get the kids, and brought Hayden back, with a bouncy ball he said was made from 'toilet water and green paint'. I don't know what they do up there, and given those ingredients, I'm not sure I want to know. Calib and Peyton had black smudges all over their faces. Apparently, they were playing dodge ball, and when you were out you got face painted-- with things like mustaches, beards, and unibrows. Good thing Cort wasn't playing, or you wouldn't have been able to tell if he was out or not. (That was a Cort unibrow joke, in case you didn't catch it.)

Asa went to watch a movie with Holly, so I stayed with the boys. The boat was rocking back and forth so much though, I was feeling awful at that point. I did take a unisom so I could sleep through it, Jess said it would be the worst night since we had awhile to travel in the open waters. I'm hoping thats the case. I told the boys I was going to sleep, and if there was an emergency to go wake up grandma next door.

Next Stop: Juneau for some Whale Watching

No comments:

Post a Comment