Monday, December 27, 2021

Finding Our Christmas Spirit

 We're currently in that void between Christmas and New Years, where you don't quite know what day it is, and you spend most of your time eating snacks in your pajamas. But, that's a good time to get caught up on the blog. Asa took last week off, so he is working this week- at least until Thursday, so I've got to entertain myself. 

We got back to mid-December where we were still doing our Christmas games. We of course did the wrapping paper game, where you have to wrap a gift with your teammate.  


Hayden and Calib were up first. 


Followed by Asa and Peyton. 


Usually it's how fast you could wrap it, but they tied. So, we had to go to Facebook to see what present was wrapped better. 


Facebook picked the one on the right, with the green bow, which was Peyton and Asa's. 


Calib ended up with 10 days off work, I think I mentioned that in my last blog. But, despite testing negative, if you're sick, you basically have to be out 10 days unless you have multiple tests come up negative and a note from your doctor. He enjoyed his time off though, and the boys took that opportunity to watch all the Spiderman's before No Way Home came out. 


That also meant we didn't have to worry about Calib being at work for the Survivor Finale. Asa made one last Sur-FRY-vor night for the season. (Good finale, Awesome fries). 


Another night we played the lifesaver game. 


You dump a bowl full of flour, and while keeping it's shape, you place a lifesaver on top. Then, everyone gets to cutting some of the flour off. 

The person who makes the lifesaver fall must retrieve it with their mouth. 


Aroma Joes was giving out some awesome rewards for their 12 days of Christmas, so we went there a few times over the holiday.  This was BOGO Iced Coffee Day! 


Of course, it was our Etta-versary on the 16th. Etta has lived with us for four whole years now. So, I made her pupcakes with cheese sprinkles. 


She was very excited about it. 


And she also got herself a new rope. I can't believe she's been a part of our family for four years. She was such a mess when she first got here, and now, while she's still a mess... she fits in perfectly.. with us, and her pack. 


On the 17th, the guys went to the theater to see No Way Home. It was the first time anyone in our house had gone to a movie theater since December 19, 2019 when we threaded the needle between when Rise of Skywalker came out, and when Calib left for Italy. Man, those were different times. Anyway, it was two days short of two years. 728 days. My count continues, but I've never been a huge movie theater girl. 


A couple of nights later, we held our annual Christmas  Open Bar. 


I got lots of stuff for drinks.. 


Made a menu... 


Set out some food. .


And got to taking orders. 


Of course, everyone ordered way too much food and drink.... 






...except Peyton who slept through the whole thing. So, when I closed up that night, I left a note we'd reopen for lunch, mostly so Peyton wouldn't miss the whole thing. 


It worked! He was excited to see the sign when he got up, and was happy when I reopened. 


Our game that day was called 'Do you hear what I hear?". I wrapped boxes of jingle bells, and they had to shake them to determine which box had the most and least bells in it. 


Hayden was the only one that didn't get it quite right. 


I think I also told you about the massive amount of lemons we have had ripen all at the same time. I've been trying to figure out what to do with so many of them. I've been juicing some to freeze into lemon juice ice cubes. 


I dehydrated some for tea. 


And I even made lemon curd in the instant pot! 


And then we also doled them out to the neighbors, going door to door, delivering lemons to everyone as a little Christmas cheer. 



In other news, I know I dropped out from talking about covid as much since my Social Distancing Journal was completed, but we're heading back up. 7.4 per 100,000 wasn't too bad, but since we only release numbers once a week, that lags. Still, it was easy to see we'd have to prepare for another wave. 



And, quickly. 


It's not just Florida this time, though. 




Something about all this felt very March 2020. Things were getting cancelled left and right. 


And the NFL was not immune. 




Basketball and Hockey got hit pretty hard too. NHL actually paused the season. 


So, things aren't looking great. But hey, at least we're vaccinated AND Boosted, and that's very NOT 2020. 

Next Up: Hunkering Down in the Christmas Blanket Fort









No comments:

Post a Comment