Thursday, December 22, 2022

Holidaycation: Day 2


Welcome back to Asa and my week of Holiday-cation. We're on Day 2, where we woke up on a cruise ship stopped in Nassau, Bahamas. Of course, our day started with some coffee's from Cafe Promenade, which Asa so kindly went down to get for me every morning. (He's a keeper like that). 


Last time we were in Nassau, we didn't really see any of it- instead we went out to Sandy Toes to see the pigs. Obviously, that was a total highlight, but it is pricey, so we decided this time to just go exploring in Nassau. But not before breakfast! We woke up, had our coffee, and headed to Windjammer- where we even had live morning music! 


Windjammer is a little crowded in the mornings, but I like to take my plate outside to the pool deck to get aaway from the crowds. Here I was in Nassau, Bahamas outside in 78 degree weather, with Christmas music playing, and Atlantis in the Background, all while I had mega-breakfast (that's what I call when you can have french toast, a pancake, and a waffle all at the same time- and you don't have to pick just one). And all of this with my favorite person on the planet?  Basically, if there is a heaven, this is what mine looks like. 


After breakfast, we had our exclusive time for Rock Climbing, thanks to the key. Also, thanks to the early morning time (and the temperature), the wall wasn't going to burn us like last time. 


There was only one other person climbing during the key time, so it was basically no wait at all, they just had to get us hooked in, and off we went. Asa made it all the way to the top this time. 


After rock climbing, we went down to change into our swimsuits for exclusive key time on the Flo-rider. They give you a special wristband, and block off the wave for only key guests. 


Asa took a turn and did pretty well, after all, he got the hang of it on the last trip. 


And then I thought long and hard about if I wanted to do it. There wasn't a crowd, so my social anxiety was good there- but I was afraid of wiping out. Asa was super supportive and cheered me on (without being pushy about it), and so I gave it a go. 


I actually didn't suck at it either. Though, while trying to get up on my knees, I did eventually wipe out. But, it didn't hurt or anything (I did get some water in my ear, but it came out fairly quickly). I was super proud of myself though! I did the Flo-rider! 


Since there were only a couple of key holders there, they let us all sit on the bench and pass around the surfboard thing to denote next in line instead of having to wait. Since usually the wait is super long during the the normal time, and it was only one or two people deep this time,  Asa decided to go again. 


And I cheered him on! 


Check him out, he can get up on his knees! 


Anyway, the key was awesome for this. Like I said, there can be a hefty wait so this was great to get so much time with nobody else around. Plus, we felt kind of special being behind the "private session in progress" sign. 


After that, we stopped by the pool deck to get some soft serve. We had a mental list of things we missed out on last time that we wanted to make sure we got to them this time- among my list was ice cream! 


Since we were already wet from the Flo-rider, we decided to hop in the pool for a little while, and we even got to swim while watching a World Cup match


Then we headed back to our room to change, and made our way to Deck 1 to get off the ship. Why, hello again, Nassau! 


We were parked right next to the Liberty of the Seas, which we'll be taking in April for Asa's 40th birthday cruise! 


The port is coming along nicely since the last time we were there in September. 


Hello again, Nassau! 


I had a breif description of a walking tour around Nassau saved on my phone, so we had some ideas of places to go, but we also nosed around from place to place. 


Sadly, I had hoped to go into the library (that used to be a jail!) but it was STILL closed due to covid. 


So instead, we just walked past on our way to the Queens Staircase. The staircase was built in the 1700s by 600 slaves as a way to the fort at the top. It was later renamed for Queen Victoria who abolished slavery. There's a lot more to it, but you can always google it- or visit, the locals will be happy to give you a tour for tips (and they'll even take your picture). 


Asa and I climbed the 66 steps to the top, where you'll find the bright yellow sign. 


Take the corner and head the rest of the way up the hill, and you'll find Fort Fincastle and the water tower. 


And you'll get a nice view from the top. 


There's quite a few market stalls up neart the fort as well... 

..Along with some people who will cut open coconuts to serve you right there at the top of the mountain. 


We paid the $5 for the coconut and the experience. 


They had plenty to just cut open, or you could get some ice cold from a cooler. We opted ice cold, and it was probably the best coconut water I've ever had. Asa is more of a fan than me, and he really enjoyed it. 



When you're all finished, they'll even cut it open for you (and make you a spoon) to scoop out the rest. I felt very much like I was on Survivor or something, it was all wild and local and cool. (The pigeons picking apart the remains was especially adding to the ambience). 


Totally worth the 5 bucks. 


After our adventure, we headed back down the road to go back toward downtown. It's pretty rugged out here, but I liked seeing the less pristine parts of the Bahamas (not that I didn't adore Sandy Toes). 

We walked back down the Queens staircase.. 



And headed back toward the water. It's not too long of a trip from the ship, less than a mile, I think. So, it's not a big detour if you're walking around. And it's totally worth it in the history lesson and cocnut alone. 


Making our way from the Queen's Staircase back toward the more touristy areas, we noted quite a few murals, old churches, brightly painted buildings and even the new US Embassy they're building. 


One church was even welcoming in visitors so we went in and had a look around. 



After some nosing around, we ended up at the Pirate museum. 

We decided it'd be worth the $13 admission, and headed on in. It is pretty cool, with lots of little quizzes, history lessons, and scenes set up. This was abosultely more Asa's thing than mine, but I enjoyed it as well. 


Asa then spotted a McDonalds and wanted to see if they had anything different than they do here (they didn't though). They were, however, only letting a certain amount of people in the building at a time due to covid protocols. 


I will note, be careful walking in the Bahamas. There's just cactus sticking out everywhere (Asa told me I was super close to these, but I didn't even really notice). 


We continued nosing around and walking the streets, and we made sure to go into the straw market to get a Nassau magnet. 


We didn't have any drinks on the ship (that's for next time), so we decided we should go ahead and get something on shore. We found this little stand just off the boat and they were serving fancy drinks in pinapples, so we gave it a go. 


It was some kind of Rum punch situation, and it was delicious. They also gave us the part of the pineapple they took out to make it. And, then they decorate the whole thing with candy, more pineapple, and an umbrella.


It was 20 bucks, but Asa and I enjoyed it. 


Our final stop was at a coffee shop. Asa really wants to have a coffee shop in the Bahamas that he knows and visits, so we'll see if we stop by here again. It was good coffee, though not amazing. 


Personally, I was there for the lemonades (I really wanted the guava but they were out). 


And that was it for our time off the boat in Nassau. All aboard! 


It'd been awhile since we had anything to eat, so we headed up to Windjammer for a late lunch. You just cannot beat those views. 


After some hanging around the ship, we decided to play some shuffleboard to watch us sail away from Deck 4. 



And just like the day before, we were sailing away at sunset time! 


This time though, we got to be the first ship out (there were SIX in port that day). 


Let me sunset pictures commence. 



Then of course there was some sail away trivia, follwed by dinner at Windjammer. 


While we were down getting our coffees after dinner, noticed Santa on the Promenade. He was even available for selfies. 


There were some special things on the cruise for the holiday. Santa and the decorations, obiviously. But also Christmas stories, carols, even Christmas trivia. (I couldn't get enough of the decorations though). 



We did get ourselves a towel animal with our turndown service, which is always fun. 


And then for the evening, we headed out to see some shows. We even got special key seating in the balcony for the comedien/juggler who was pretty good. 


After that, we went down to Deck 3 to check out the Ice Skating show, which was also pretty entertaining, even for Asa who isn't a big fan of those sorts of things. We missed this one on our last cruise, and I wanted to be sure to catch it this time. 


And then we headed off to the Star Lounge for some kind of game show, I think (this one was apparently not that memorable, because I have no idea what it was). 


Fun fact: you are allowed to bring a bottle of wine on RCL. We also brought along our knockoff yeti mugs Collin got us for Christmas (I actually like the Orca mugs over the Yeti ones, they have the super cool lids), so we had somewhere to put our wine. 


We took our drinks outside, where we were greeted with a full moon. 

One of our favorite things to do on the ship is to go out to the helipad late and night and look up at the stars. Sadly, the full moon made it so bright, there wasn't as good of star gazing as our last go around on the ship. But, the helipad is still a favorite. 

After that, we made our way to Sorrentos for some pizza which we took back to the Star Lounge for Karaoke. 


That doesn't even start until 11pm, and since I started taking my new anxiety medication, it's a tall ask for me to be up and around at 11 pm. So we always say things around here like 'moms not making it to karaoke today'. But, I did make it. Even if I look REAL sleepy. 


Next Up: Holidaycation Day 3

No comments:

Post a Comment