Friday, January 20, 2023

Sattler's at Disney, Day 3: Hoop Dee Doo

Sunday wasn't a park day for us (Gwen was in Hollywood Studios, though), so we decided to fill our day with a whole bunch of other fun stuff. I suggested trying the fairways course at Fantasia Mini Golf, since us Waterstraut passholders can putt free before 4pm. We had hoped to play this course on my 40th birthday trip, but we got rained out. When we used our rainchecks with the Sattlers the following year, the fairways course was all booked up. Basically I've learned if you want to putt putt, it's best to rope drop it if you don't have reservations. So, that's what we did. 


The fairways course is difficult though. It's like a real putting green, and you're lucky to come in under 6 (the max) per hole. A lot (and I mean A LOT) of balls ended up in the bushes. We played in two groups, with the kids in the front, Holly, mom and Cort in the back, and Asa and I floating inbetween. 



Sometimes we even putted at the very same time! 


Overall, we had a super fun time (Garrett was even the best sport on his team!) and would totally recommend rope droppign putt putt. 


Cort was most excited to have played it, though mom was the winner. I told everyone to look really interested in Cort's last putt for one more picture.. and this is what I got... (I think it's kind of awesome). 


After putt putt, I had proposed Pretzel-Palooza. Garrett told me that he makes sure to get a Mickey Pretzel every day he's at Disney, so I inquired if he had tried any other Disney non-Mickey pretzels. He hadn't, so I told him all about the various pretzels at Disney Springs and then proposed Pretzel-Palooza where we tried them all, and then rated them. Surprisingly, everyone was pretty into this idea- so off to Disney Springs we went. We broke up into groups. Cort went back to get Joann, who had passed on putt putt but wanted in on Pretzel-Palooza. I headed off to the Wetzel's Pretzels booth to grab some regular and cinnamon sugar pretzel bites, and Holly headed into the Polite Pig for two of their giant pretzels with cheese dip.  


Then we met up with everyone else at the Hangar Bar. They had gotten us a table outside and then Holly and I came in with all our take out (I'm sure our waitress wasn't thrilled- but Holly said to just act like you know what you're doing and nobody questions you. We did order pretzels, drinks, and tip our waitress well- oh, and we cleaned up all our mess too!) 


The Hanger Bar pretzles are served with cheese dip and mustard, and are served on these cute little airplane hangers. 


I think they are slightly small than the classic buttered pretzel from Polite Pig, though we didn't get a side by side comparison, since the pretzels were too big to fit in a takeout container, they were cut in half. 



Holly also grabbed a few other sides at Polite Pig- including street corn, brussel sprouts and sweet potato tots. I realized as a vegetarian, she had probably never thought to stop at a bbq place called Polite Pig, but they have some awesome veggie sides. 


So how did the pretzels rank? Well, we all ranked them and then Cort tallied the points. Coming in last place was the plain wetzel's pretzels (though that was Garretts favorite one). Those aren't super unique and you can find them all over- not just at Disney. Third place went to the Hanger Bar pretzel. It was just a little dry. Second place was the cinnamon super Wetzel's Pretzels.. and the winner was the giant Polite Pig Pretzel. Garrett deemed pretzel palooza a success and suggested anytime we're at Disney together we do it again. 


After pretzel-palooza, we broke up to various places at Disney Springs. Asa headed home to check on the dogs and get Peyton, Holly and her mom went to do a little shopping, Cort went over to the Boathouse to see if Steve was around, and Garrett and Calib hung out. Meanwhile, mom and I went over to Giddeons for some cookie butter cake and a banana bread chocolate chip cookie. We even got special cutting in line treatment thanks to a lovely Giddeon's employee. It was literally ten minutes from start to finish- the quickest Giddeon's trip ever! 


Holly placed an order at Everglazed and we walked down to get donuts, before piling back in Cort's van to head back to Fort Wilderness. We decided there was so many of us, we could set off the sensor that siad the parking spot was taken (we did in fact turn the light red). 


Back at Fort Wilderness we piled in the golf carts to head down to the pool. 


It was warmer (and sunnier!) than it had been on Friday, and the pool was still warm, so it wasn't actually a terrible day for swimming. Everyone went in the pool this time, instead of being limited to the hot tub (though, we did that too). 


Back at the cabins, we had snacks- including donuts! while we waited for Asa to get back with Peyton, and we watched some football. 


Calib also took the younger kids around on the golf cart and let them drive around the loop (just around the cabins, not on the main road). 


As I sent them off, I told Garrett to take some pictures for me... this is what I got. 



And then Garrett had his turn at driving the cart. 



That evening I convinced Cort, Holly, Asa, Calib and Garrett to go down to the Chip N Dale campfire with me. I hadn't been in years, but it turns out not only are the marshmallows no longer free, but Chip n Dale were out at the stage for like 5 minutes before going back in. I was totally disappointed because they used to do meet and greets. 


So I headed back with Asa, Calib and Garrett while Holly and Cort stayed behind and wandered around. They sent me a couple of pictures- the pool steaming, and apparently Chip N Dale DID come back out for meet and greets and I missed it! 



Later that evening we piled in the golf carts and headed down to the Settlement--- 


--for our dinner at the Hoop Dee Doo Revue! While we waited in line for the doors to open we even got to catch some of the Magic Kingdom Fireworks. 


I've been to Hoop Dee Doo Review (a long running dinner and show at Fort Wilderness) twice before- once as a kid and once with Asa on one of our anniversary trips. Cort hadn't been there since our childhood days though, and said if he was staying at Fort Wilderness (a first for him and his family) that he wanted to go. So, I was making reservations 60 days out. 


I made special shirts, and special ears for the occasion. (My ears even matched the napkins!) 


Hoop Dee Doo is an all you can eat, and all you can drink affair- including beer, wine and sangria. (Sadly, Calib forgot his wallet so he had to stick to pop/lemonade). 


The food is bbq- ribs, chicken, mac and cheese and the likes. Something for everyone. Garrett downed a whole lot of fried chicken and Hayden loaded up on Mac and Cheese. Holly even got some jackfruit and veggie sausage, so that was nice. 


The show is super old school. But, it's fun. We all had a great time. 


The whole thing ends with Strawberry Shortcake, which is just delicious. 


And they hand out the big washboards and spoons to get everyone in on the closing number. 




So, there's singing. And dancing. And drinking. And eating. 


And napkin waving. All in all an awesome night. 


There was a girl sitting in front of us who had gotten picked to take part in the show. At the end of the night she turned around and asked me where I got my ears, I told her I made them and she was super impressed. I decided to give them to her, and she was just super excited about it. She had her friend take a picture of us (and so my mom snapped one too). Anyway, wherever she is, I hope she enjoys her ears! (I now kind of want this to be my thing- wear homemade ears, and if someone loves them, just hand them over). 


The golf cart ride back was eventful. Calib and Cort were driving, and when Calib pulled up to a stop sign, Cort pulled up next to him and suggested drag racing. We totally were killing it- until Cort (Mr. "I don't break the rules") cut through the grass and then went the wrong way through the cabin loop (on a one way road!) I suspect Asa egged him on, and the grandma's on the back didn't have enough influence to stop the shennanigans. Peyton was also on the winning team, shouting and cheering from the cabins driveway as we pulled up. (The pictures dipict the craziness of the moment). 



Later that night we had to add a bed for an extra person back in the "kids" room, so Cort brought over part of their couch cushions for Peyton to sleep on. 


Next up: One last Disney day at Epcot! 


No comments:

Post a Comment