Tuesday, June 13, 2023

Happy 23rd Birthday, Calib!

 June is always a busy month for us- we've got birthdays, anniversaries, general stuff going on. So, before we leave for our anniversary trip- I wanted to catch you up on the happenings around here. On the 1st, Calib turned 23. He's now to that age when nobody cares how old you're turning (we're now counting down to 25 for cheaper insurance and car rentals! Whoo-hoo). Still, I will always be on board to celebrate my kids birthdays. I made sure he awoke to plenty of gifts. 


Mostly we did giftcards and snacks, but I did make him the shirt he's been begging for (though I told him it's an inside shirt and he's not allowed to wear it outside the house), and Cort sent along a shirt that Calib 'will need more than (him)'. Calib was less than pleased. But, hey, watching Baker Mayfield as the Bucs QB could be fun.. right? 


For lunch we headed over to Bee Coffee for some drinks and cubans. 


But on the way back we had an absolute downpour. It has been SO DRY here. Like, unseasonably dry. So, I know we needed the rain. But it nixed a lot of outdoor plans for Calib's birthday. We dumped Pop Golf in favor of Top Golf- but when we were about to leave for that and it was storming complete with frequent lightning strikes, we decided to nix that as well with plans to pick it up another night, maybe with some friends (date still pending) We did, however, have tickets to go to Goat Happy Hour the next night at our local Brewery. But, sadly, that too would later get canceled for weather. 


Still, we made the best of it with movies and games. We even broke out a Calib favorite nobody likes to play with him because he's so ruthless about it (think of it as Calib's version of my Lifeboats). I did, however, try out a new strategy and ended up winning. 


For dinner, Asa made Calib nachos. In fact, Calib picked the meals basically all weekend. 


I had also run some errands the gay before to pick up his annual Gigi's Cupcake order, and since I was right there getting a Zuku sushi gift card, I picked up some Crumbl cookies for the weekend as well. 


And of course, I grabbed the numbers for his birthday candles. 


My mom made an appearance via zoom, per the usual and we sang and had our cupcakes. 


It's not really weird that Calib is 23. I've been here. That seems accurate. It does however seem weird that I have a 23 year old. I don't feel old enough for that (and to be fair, I am barely old enough for that). But, here are me and Calib, the OG's of the household, holding down the fort for the last 23 years. I shouted at him 'Hey, you're 23 now- where's your two toddler and one failed marriage' which he found slightly amusing. Anyway, we're having very different 20s... but that's cool. 


We ended the night with watching Spiderverse, since Calib had never seen it. Later that weekend, they would all go see Spiderverse 2, which they loved. 


We did also get Calib a Chromecast for his room and a mount for a tv- so he can use that to watch sports now, which is cool. Hayden, meanwhile, is still loving his 'dorm' room. 


In other news, the garden is getting by with the lack of rain. I'm hoping it rains at least some while we're gone on our anniversary, or I'm afraid a lot of things will die (Sure, the kids would water them- probably). But, we're also house sitting and have those plants to water. For our promised efforts, we were rewarded a zucchini I found on my car windshield when I ran out for some errands. I love this neighborhood. 


In our own backyard, we've been getting some veggies. Tomatoes. Peppers. You know, the usual summer haul. But, I've also got some sunflowers growing real tall, and my passionfruit and sweet potato are loving climbing the vines. 


I don't have any pond fish at the moment, but it's getting lots of love in the form of frog eggs. I have tons of tadpoles coming along. 


And I successfully made it through 'no mow May', an event I just heard about this year where if can avoid mowing during the month of May, you should- for the bees! We have solitary miter bees here that like to burrow, so not mowing is super helpful to their habitats. The yard looked like a jungle come June, but I feel like it paid off, we've had a TON of bees in the yard the last week or so! 


Asa also got some very nice gifts. If you sent them, thank you. He was super excited about them. 


And, we got a couple of chess sets from our Buy Nothing Group to take over to the library to add to their collection. 


Next up: My weekend as a Rapid Kitten Rescue!

No comments:

Post a Comment