Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Week 12: If Nothing Ever Changed There'd Be No Butterflies

Another week, another plan to go to the food and wine festival blown. Boo! This is my favorite festival, and we haven't had a free day to go yet. This week Asa came down with something, and completely lost his voice. While this was maybe nice for a day at two (hi babe *waves*), it is not awesome as a prolonged event. I did learn that when given the choice of pain or whispering, he can actually pull off a whisper. If you know Asa, you know his whispering skills leave something to be desired. It's one of his many adorable quirks. (Ask me again in a few years though, we haven't been married all that long).

Anyway, due to his illness, I didn't think it was best to go to the food and wine festival while he couldn't eat anything but ice cream and soups. Though I've heard the Cheddar Cheese Soup at the Canada Pavilion is to die for. Which also means I missed Sister Hazel at Eat to the Beat. Hanson was on a weekday so I couldn't make it for that either. Boo! Ok, enough focusing on the stuff I missed out on, I'll get there eventually, even if it has to be on the last day on our way back from our camping trip with Clint and Jess.

This week I made all our activities and snacks Halloween related. Yes, I've become that Mom. Don't look for me to be on the PTA anytime soon though. Because those moms are seriously out of control. We had spiders (aka crackers with PB in the middle, pretzel sticks for legs and chocolate chips for beady little spider eyes), Vampire Smiles (Apples with PB and marshmallows for teeth), Ghost Poop and Spider legs (marshmallows and pretzel sticks), worm sandwiches (Nilla wafers sandwiched with nutella and gummy worms), jello jigglers (in halloween shapes, but of course) and blood red spider drinks (Sprite with Gatorade Ice Cubes that I froze plastic spiders in). The boys thoroughly enjoyed their Halloween inspired snacks. This week, I'm getting the week off from after school snacks, and letting them have a couple pieces of candy from their buckets.

We played some fun games. My favorite was the popcorn answer find. They each had a bowl of popcorn, with tiny little cardboard pieces hidden inside with answers on them they had to match to their cards. Hayden had sight words, Calib and Peyton had Math problems. I really should have thought ahead, though, because they ate half their bowl of popcorn looking for their answers, and weren't hungry for dinner.
Our Halloween inspired crafts were also pretty fun. We made salt dough pumpkins, complete with a stick from the yard for stem. The boys liked the glow up monsters too. I had bought some of those little Sunny D drinks, and we used the empty bottles, turned them upside down, painted them and added a glow stick. They made a nice night light for a night before the glow sticks died.

It was also red ribbon week at school, so they had all kinds of different things to do. Monday and Friday were green shirt days, which was relatively boring. Wednesday and red shirt day also was rather tame. However, crazy sock day and hat day were quite the hit with Hayden. When I realized it was crazy sock day I went out in search of some socks. I really thought it wouldn't be that hard, but crazy boy socks pretty much don't exist. (I noticed as I dropped them off the next day most boys were sporting girly socks). So, I grabbed a three pack of blue, black, and tan socks and figured we'd mix them up and everyone could have a 'crazy pair'. When I got home with them Hayden was really disappointed. He told me "These aren't crazy, they're just different colors, that's not crazy at all". So, I told him we could make them crazy, and glue things to them. He them thought this was the best idea ever, and wanted to paint one sock, and glue googly eyes, pom poms, and pipe cleaners in the shape of an H on the other. He happily did all of this while talking about how he was going to have the craziest pair of socks. I then asked Calib and Peyton what they wanted to do for crazy sock day. Calib said he would just wear one navy blue and one black sock (I couldn't really tell the difference once he had them on), and Peyton said he wasn't going to wear crazy socks (He later took one black and one tan). Hayden mocked them and their lack of crazy socks. I just realized I probably covered all this in my last blog- but oh well, I'm not deleting everything I just typed. When Hayden got home he was telling me all about how his crazy socks were the craziest there was.

The came hat day. After the socks, a regular old baseball cap was not good enough for Hayden. He needed something over the top, and crazy. I tried to tell him we could glue googly eyes and pom poms to a winter hat. He replied "Thats already been done, Mom. I can't do the same thing". We settled on the Moose Hat Peyton had gotten when Asa and I got married, and everyone got something moose related. From the second he got out of the car all the teachers were giving him thumbs up telling him how cool his hat was. Apparently though, he spent the day putting his head down and chasing kids around the playground with his antlers. Calib was quite embarrassed by it, but I thought it was hilarious.

Let me take a second out here to talk about Survivor Night- did anyone else see that crazy tribal council? It's all the boys have been talking about. They can't wait till this Wednesday to find out what happens. I told them they better be ready, in their PJS at 8:15 because I'm starting it with or without them.

This week also was both my brothers birthdays, so we took a picture of the boys holding "Happy. Birthday. (and) Uncle Cort/Clint" Signs. I was out of construction paper though, so I just had to minorly adjust the Uncle Cort sign for Clints birthday. I like this new way of sending birthday wishes, so when your day comes around look for a fun picture in your inbox. Oh, or a joke. I've been sending birthday jokes out, because I'm expecting some on my birthday again. Don't want to be a hypocrite you know.

Friday only half stunk. We got a call from the Realtor about how they needed to come look at the house, take some pictures, and we didn't even get 24 hours notice. This kind of stuff cannot continue to happen. I'm so over it. I'm trying not to post every little thing about it, but we were defiantly duped by the realtor. Asa had spoken to him the day before asking about when he thought they would come in to do the pictures and he said "a couple of weeks, maybe a month", and then here he was the next day. Our landlord apparently knew nothing about it. I find it fishy. I don't trust either of them, and it sets me on very shaky ground, and I do not like it. Renting is not cool anymore. Chalk us up to a statistic now, one of those people getting screwed over by the housing market who did nothing to get themselves into this mess. I know it'll come out ok, but it's getting there that is less than ideal. And, now I'll go back to not talking about it until I have actual news to report, just a rant there.

Friday was also report card day. Calib got all A's and a B. I was thrilled, but he was disappointed. He wanted to get all A's. Asa had to tell him to stop being all 'Uncle Clint' about it. Peyton on the other hand, I was worried about. Things aren't coming home as much as they were last year. I expected that, because he has the same teacher Calib had last year and she's not big on sending the graded stuff home. What has come home has been really good, though. I was kind of bracing myself. When I opened his report card I was so pleasantly surprised. He had three A's, two C's, and nothing he 'needs work' on (like organization, class participation, ect.) Last year Peyton had all C's, all year except for the one D incident. I've been really concerned about him and his attention, and at the end of the year I suggested perhaps there was an issue with the teacher and her unwillingness to bend to a child's individual needs. The school was not happy to hear this, but I said before I did anything, I wanted to see how Peyton did in another classroom, and since it was the end of the year, I would have the opportunity soon. Well, case and point. Good for Peyton. He responds so much better to not being overworked and under appreciated. Hayden got all S's, for successful, but I knew he would- unless of course there was a 'blowing nose' category. I've been told he needs work on that.

Friday was also the fall festival at school. You buy tickets and they have games, snacks, and prizes. Hayden really enjoyed the fishing game, but got a little too excited with the fishing pole, and nearly hit someone everytime he played it. Calib and Peyton both got to dunk teachers in the dunk tank, and everyone got ice cream sandwiches.

Saturday, after we had decided we weren't going to go to the food and wine festival, we decided to head out to the pumpkin festival. After all, they have pumpkin ice cream which was right what the doctor ordered for Asa. We spent awhile in the corn maze. We let Hayden lead for awhile, and hit more dead ends than I expected a corn maze to have. We got to see some pumpkins shoot out of the pumpkin cannon, and Hayden took a pony ride. Then we fed the goats, emu, and chickens and decided that we needed to buy a new house, out in the country so we could have a goat, and more importantly a llama. And a chicken. And a duck. And possibly a pig, which we could name Mr. Hamm Lincoln. Whether a house exists in our school district, I'm not so sure. But, I wouldn't mind not living 5 feet from the house next door. And having a duck.

Sunday was supposed to be the Halloween Party at the Clubhouse, but I guess the intial signs and bulletin that went out had the wrong date on it. I tend to put things on the calendar, decide were doing them, and not double check they're still occurring or haven't been moved. Apparently, the party was moved to Saturday and we had missed it. It turned out ok though because I had to make some costumes for the boys book character parade at school on Monday, and we had Science Project work to do. The Bucs were on a bye, so I didn't even have football to watch. We did carve pumpkins. Hayden skipped the carving, in lieu of painting, but was upset he didn't get to 'scoop out the goop'. Peyton on the other hand, made his usual frightened disgusted face at the prospect, and I eventually had to scoop the goop of his pumpkin.

For the book Character parade Hayden was the pig from 'If you give a pig a party'. I bought a pig hat, but had to change some things around, unglue the ears and reglue them to the other side, cut off the snout, take off the eyes, and glue a party hat. Then I found pig gloves, he had the pig nose from the costume shop in Ohio, and he wore pajamas (because of the pajama party in the book). I thought he was cute. I tried to get Calib to be Captain Underpants, because I try and get him to do it every year, but he refused. Maybe Hayden 'I don't care about what people think' Waterstraut will do it someday. Anyway, he was Captain Nobody from a Sunshine State book he's currently reading. I made him the eye mask, and we had the red cape, then I taped lightning bolts to his shoes to complete the outfit. Peytons was perhaps the best and cutest outfit. He was ADORABLE in it. He was Geronimo Stilton, a book series he's been reading for over a year now. Geronimo is a mouse who goes on adventures. I took the white shirt he wore at the wedding, and cut the sleeves off since it was too small anyway now, and put a green shirt over it. Then I made a red and white felt tie and glued that too it. I took a pair of glasses, painted them back and we completed the look with a mouse nose and ears from the costume holiday house in Fremont. I was pretty proud of their looks. It was full on crafty-Corinne-ness all around. I loved it.

They all had little parties at school on Friday, in which I was then reminded this would be Calib's last Character Parade, because next year he'll be in middle school. I angrily thanked Peyton for reminding me, and then I nearly hyperventilated. Calib in middle school- with a locker, and eating lunch with 9th graders. Oh boy. Lets not talk about that again for a very, very long time. Peytons friend Ciara and her dad came trick or treating with us.

For trick or treat, Hayden was a Pirate, Peyton was a knight, and Calib was a football player. They were pretty cute, but I gotta say I do miss the days of fuzzy full bodied suits of cuddly little animals. I guess I'll just have to look at old pictures and reminisce. Anyway, Ciara and Peyton were talking about hanging out this weekend, and I said 'we'll see, I'm not sure when your board is due for your Science Project, do you?' Peyton started blankly at me, like he didn't even know what his board was. Ciara chimed in "It's due November 10th". I marveled at the knowledge she had. I've never heard the boys tell me a date when something is due. I replied with 'whoa, is this what having a girl would be like? They actually know things?" Anyway, Ciara's nice, and Peyton is smitten with her. They had a good time trick or treating. I'm gonna have to watch out for this one, Peyton is going to be a heart breaker, I just know it.

Milestone of the week:
Porkchop finally chewed through the tail of his stuffed whale. He's been working on it for nine months.

Top Scorer of the week:
Me! On Luminous. It's a tetris like game for the Xbox. Sunday I had the sixth best score in the world. Oh yea!

Best Answer of the week:
Calib: 'I don't know how to answer this question- If you were to do your Science Project again, what would you do differently'
Me: 'I'd take care of the plants myself instead of making my mom do the whole thing'

Brought Back to Life:
My cell phone. Thats right folks. Fully functioning, and back to normal. Although, slightly disturbing- I had no messages from the two months it was off.

Teacher Fail:
While doing Hayden's homework with him, I read at the bottom of the page, this note from his teacher: It is ALWAYS ok to read the directions and questions to your child. If you have to help them answer it, just put your initials by the problem, and your child will receive partial credit.
Seriously? He's in kindergarten. He get's S's or U's.. hows he going to get partial credit?

Best Misunderstood Moment:
Asa (while whispering):"I can't talk"
Hayden: "eggnog?"

Up Next: A weekend of Fests! How many we'll make it to, I'm just not sure yet.


No comments:

Post a Comment