Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Week 14: Just Sitting Here on the Corner of Awesome and Bombdiggity


It's been a long eventful week around here. I've found those are best to alternate with short, lazy weeks. Asa responds much better to going out for the weekend if it 1. somehow matches up with his work from home week on either end. 2. follows a weekend of very uneventful activities. Asa didn't grow up traveling a whole lot, so while to me 5 hours in the car sounds like no big deal, about two hours in he's complaining about how we're not there yet. And then he tries to sneakily pawn it off as though the kids (who HAVE grown up travelling) are ready to be out of the car. I see right through your tactics, Asa Waterstraut. You've been found out.

Early in the week Hayden had his very first field trip. He went to a farm, and was very excited about his meeting with Rosie the Cow. Apparently the teachers had talked this cow up so much, according to Hayden it was the cutest cow ever. He was equally as excited about the piglets, which he said were smaller than Porkchop, and the rooster. He got a mini pumpkin, and got to pet goats. He talked about this for days like it was the best trip he'd ever been on, Alaska included. In addition to the first ever field trip, he also got to ride on a bus for the first time. He was very excited about this, as if it was the coolest form of transportation he'd ever been on, glass domed train car included.

The next day, however, Hayden had a note in his planner that he had been talking when Ms. Bazin asked him to stop. He was so upset when he got in the car, telling me he had a note. I said 'Hayden, what was it for', and he broke down in full on sobbing, threw his hands up in the air and replied "I don't know, I can't read!" He knew he was in big time trouble, and by big time, I mean no video games, tv, or Halloween candy as a snack. To a five year old this is about as devastating as the world gets. I know, right? To be five...

Calib and Peyton both had their science project boards due this week. There's very little room on these boards for creativity. Basically, they just want you to print out your entire project, glue it to a board, and they tell you exactly how to lay it out. They did have about half the middle section to do what they wanted. Since their projects were really similar (calib saw how plants grew in different amounts of light, while Peyton saw how plants grew being 'watered' with milk, water, and gatorade) we did the boards pretty similar. I cut the dixie cups in half, and glued them to the board, then we made flowers out of pipe cleaner depending on how they grew. For Calibs I made a little closet door for the one in the dark, and window sill for the one in the sun, and a tree for the one under the shade. I think they turned out pretty cool. I would also like to thank Justin for the use of his printer, and the banana he left me for breakfast while I typed out their projects. And, we may all rejoice, for Science Projects are done for the year! Whoo-hoo!

Thursday morning was the Student of the Month Presentation. I went to see Calib get his award, and his coupons and things. I doubt they have this is middle school, so this is probably my last time going to the Student of the Month Presentation for Calib. How sad. It was nice not to have to take Hayden with me, he usually squirmed and whined through the whole thing. On my way out, I saw Peyton walking with his class, and he must not be too embarrassed by me, because he did yell out 'Hi Mom' and wave. Thursday was also Otter Run Day. Think Run for Fun on a smaller scale. They used to take donations for Otter Run and used it to help fund raise for the school, but this year they didn't. I kind of wondered what the point was then, but the kids had fun.

Thursday also saw Asa complete his first Quest. I discovered if you form chores in quest form, he responds much better. In this case, the chores consisted of getting the camping gear from the garage, when he was successful, we threw a parade in his honor concluding with a trophy presentation. However, this said trophy presentation was interrupted by a fire breathing dragon, which Asa and Peyton bravely slayed. Or, in lay men term- a lizard got in the house, Hayden and I ran screaming, while Peyton and Asa caught it in a cup and sent it outside. However, during this traumatic event Calib called to see if he could stay and eat dinner at his friends house, and I just yelled into the phone about dragons, and trophies, and quests. He seemed unfazed and just responded with 'so, right, can I eat over?' Hayden was quite traumatized by the event. He ran under the covers and started screaming 'This is how it all ends!" In his defense, it was one of the biggest lizards we've ever had in the house.

The boys didn't have school on Friday because of a Teacher Planning Day. Asa had requested the day off, but because of things at work, they later changed it so he had to go in. This really screwed with our plans, because we were going to leave early Friday Morning, and take our time getting up to the campgrounds in Georgia. Our plan was to get there around 5 so we could put the tent up before it got dark. Instead, I spent Friday dragging kids to the store and getting the house and things ready (which I procrastinated and didn't do Thursday), and we didn't get to the campgrounds until it was 10:30 and pitch dark. We manoeuvred the fit so the headlights were on the area for the tent, and actually put it up pretty fast. It was only the third time we had done it, and the first time in the dark, I thought it went pretty smoothly. There wasn't even any cursing involved.

Clint and Jessica got there right after we had finished setting up the tent, which was good because we were two sleeping bags short, and Clint and Jess were bringing them for us. The low was supposed to be around 30, so we knew it was going to be cold. I had gotten the boys all long underwear, packed hats and gloves, two hoodies for everyone, extra socks, plus the blankets and sleeping bags. We were all sleeping on air mattresses or mats too, which helped keep us a little warmer. I'll admit the first night I was cold. I passed on the long underwear, and was in the sleeping bag that had a broken zipper. Asa complained about being cold, but in reality he was in a sleeping bag good for 0 degrees, complete with another fleece lined sleeping bag on an air mattress. As much as he wanted his friends at work to believe he was roughing it, I think he had it pretty good. He said his arms were a little cold, but he refused to put on the hat, gloves, or hoodie I had brought for him. The boys actually said they were fine. Peyton was the funniest, because he scooted all the way down in his sleeping bag, and his head only came up to about half way. He was in a full on cocoon, and slept pretty great actually.

Clint had planned out our Saturday pretty well. We drove from our Campground in Richmond Hill to Savannah. He had gotten maps at AAA for all the kids, and would tell them a park and have the kids direct us. Calib was really the only one interested, and Peyton whined because he wasn't into it, but he quickly changed his mind, and would read the History plaques at each park. Hayden would just run around a lot, but I figured it was a good way to get his energy out. Eventually we found ourselves at the really large park, playground included, and the boys played on that for awhile. The also picked up a ton of leaves, pinecones, acorns and other assorted things to get my pockets all gross, but I suppose thats the job I signed up for when I had boys.

After we walked around Savannah, we went to Fort Pulaski. We stopped in at the Ranger Station and got three Junior Ranger Books. If the boys walked around and found the answers, they would be rewarded with a Junior Ranger Pin. They really liked the fort. It was complete with a moat and everything. They ran around it, spent a good amount of time in the jail, and climbed on some cannons. Clint took Peyton and Calib around to fill out their books, and Asa and I took Hayden to fill out his. Let me tell you, there was quite the difference in what they wanted Hayden to do (like find shapes and such), and what they wanted Calib and Peyton to do (complete with Math problems). Either way, the boys all filled there's out and returned it to the Ranger Station for their pins. I told Clint I didn't remember having that much fun at a fort when I was a kid. He said we liked the forts, it was the battlefields that dad used to drag us too that were much less exciting. I think it really tired the kids out, and had the same effect on Clints dog, Elemeno.

After the Fort we picniced lunch in the grass out by our cars because it was nearly time for low tide, and Clint had said Tybee Island had some really great Tide Pooling. Jess and Elemeno stayed in the car while we went in search of random marine life. Peyton LOVES Tide Pools. His favorite part of the whole Alaska trip was the tide pooling in Seattle. We went out to the rocks, and initially found nothing, so we moved on to the next set. Clint was worried it was going to be a bust, but when we got to the second set we found all sorts of things. There was a lot of baby hermit crabs, some sort of sea cucumber type things, a horseshoe crab, and a ton of conch shells- fully intact you can hear the ocean in them, only ever find ones like that in a gift shop- conch shells. The boys loaded up on those. Peyton could have stayed forever, but the tide started to come back in.

It is also worth noting, this was the first time my kids ever saw the Atlantic Ocean. I know, I can hardly believe it, either. We've lived here for almost six years, and have never made it the three hours over to the other coast. My kids actually saw the Pacific Ocean first. Anyway, of course we all put our toes in, because thats what my grandpa said you always have to do. Let me tell you, it was cold. Not like, the Gulf is cold this time of year cold, and Not quite Alaska cold, but somewhere in between. Definitely not 'I could go swimming in that' warm though.

We headed back to the campsite and got the tent, beds, and pajamas ready, and dinner going before it got to dark. I'm very uncreative when it comes to camping food, so hot dogs and brats it was. Clint brought some sides of baked beans and potato salad, and I had the stuff for smores. I'm not sure if all my kids decided they liked burnt marshmallows, or just catching them on fire, but either way, that became the fun activity for awhile. Eventually, Peyton and Hayden got cold and went in the tent. They had a flash light and were making shadow puppets which you could see from the outside, it was pretty funny. Eventually though, things got out of hand and there was a lot of jumping around. When I went in the tent there was blankets, pillows, gloves, hats, socks, and pajamas everywhere. So much for spending all my time getting it organized before it got dark. Needless to say, Peyton and Hayden then went to bed. Although, there was still a lot of shadow puppet-ing after that. Calib stayed up with us, probably in part due to his fear of raccoons, and probably because he didn't want to go in the tent and deal with Peyton pouting about going to bed early. We went to bed when we got too cold to sit outside anymore. I don't know if it was the addition of long underwear, or the fact that it was 10 degrees warmer the next night, or a combination of both, but it was much warmer the second night.

Sunday morning Clint made breakfast, he was much more ambitious than I was, but then he's a seasoned camper. He made us all breakfast sandwiches, complete with sausage, egg, and cheese on an english muffin. They were really good. Jessica started the fire, apparently with no lighter or anything- all Survivor style. Then she taught Calib and Peyton how to tend to the fire, and they gathered up leaves and sticks. They then sat around talking about who was 'fire manager' and who was 'assistant fire manger' for hours. After breakfast we packed up the tent and headed home. Clint and I decided this should be a yearly activity. It was nice of them to drive the extra time, because I really thought the 5 hours wasn't bad at all. Take note, Sattler family, when mom retires, I want our February trip closer on my end, dang it.

On our way home, we swung by the Jacksonville Jaguars Stadium, to check one more off my list. We were lucky it was an away game, or we'd never have been able to get in and out so quickly, and we might not have been able to get it at all. Anyway, one down for the year, only four more to go. I'm thinking I'll get Cleveland, Miami, Pittsburgh (*waves* Hi Joanne, we'll have to come visit you for that one), and maybe Indianapolis. We'll see how all that pans out. We haven't made official 2012 summer plans yet. I know, can you believe it? We're not all booked up by some huge event. What ever will Asa do with his vacation days?

It was also the last day for the food and wine festival, so we stopped by on our way back. For those of you who don't know, it's a festival they have at Epcot every year. Around the world, they set up little kiosks in each country and have tasting portions of food from that country. You can buy a gift card type thing and then swipe that instead of digging out your cash or credit card at each one, and it helps you keep track of what your spending. It was way more packed than I expected it to be, but really, I just wanted the Fisherman's pie. That was our first stop, and then we decided we would head back to where we came from and try some new things. We had $40 on our card, I didn't want to try anything I had last year (not because it wasn't good, I just wanted to try new stuff), and I didn't want to have to go back further into the World Showcase because of how crowded it was. So, we headed back and luckily there were all kinds of new things to be had. We had some sandwich pita thing in Greece, which was yummy. The Cheddar Cheese Soup in Canada, was as good as people had said it was. We had the desert trio, and then discovered the two new 'country' kiosks were at the front, so we could try everything at those. Hawaii and Australia were new this year, and I was happy they were at the front so we could try them. I even had the raw tuna. Yes, me. Raw fish. I ate it. Oh yea. Also, gross, I'll never do that again. After that we stopped by Club Cool and filled up a water bottle full of free Chinese Coke-a-Cola and headed home. The boys were disappointed we didn't ride anything, but the lines were just too long.

We got home around 5, and thank God we missed the game, looks like it was just horrible for the Bucs. After we unpacked the necessary items, Asa went off to play Skyrim, a new much anticipated game. He'd been looking forward to it for months, and still agreed to go camping this weekend. Although, had I known he wouldn't have had the day off, I would have picked a different weekend.

Monday Peyton had his field trip to the History Museum. He was supposed to go when the Vice President was here, so it got moved. The funny thing is, he has another field trip scheduled for later this week, so he gets two in one week. What a lucky kid, and lucky for us too because we hardly have homework to worry about this week! I also spent Monday making a baby quilt for a friend, and sent that off to her. It'll be so nice when I have a spot for all my sewing and crafting stuff. I love working on things, but it's such a chore to get it all out and put it all away.

By Monday, my cold really started to set in. Luckily, it's work from home week, and Asa has been getting the boys to and from school and handling homework and dinner time. I basically have no voice, and when I do have it, I use it to blame Asa for spreading his germs to me. I want to get better because theres a lot to do in preparation of Thanksgiving, plus I'm missing out on Justin's test Cheesecake for Pie Making Wednesday. Hopefully my voice and energy return soon.

And, I leave you with Asa's Quest, given to him over instant messaging.

Rinsters 1:34 pm
I'll make a list of items for you to retrieve from the garage.
I'm going to make hamburgers for dinner.

asa.m.waterstraut 1:35 pm
yea, that's what I meant. chores and food.

Rinsters 1:35 pm
no.. not chores... a quest.

asa.m.waterstraut 1:35 pm
... go on.
how will this quest be presented?

Rinsters 1:35 pm
You need to go into the abyss and retrieve several items bringing them to safety in the house.

asa.m.waterstraut 1:36 pm
*gasp

asa.m.waterstraut 1:36 pm
but you know what they say about the abyss
not one man that's gone in has ever come back out

Rinsters 1:36 pm
so file this under epic quest

asa.m.waterstraut 1:36 pm
*GASP
You see me worthy of such an undertaking?

Rinsters 1:37 pm
I do. You may need goggles, and a broom for your protection.

asa.m.waterstraut 1:37 pm
I'll have to stop at a tavern to properly equip myself.
What is the reward for this quest?

Rinsters 1:37 pm
just over the mountain beyond the broken down washer you may see a green lid, retrieve green lid being careful not to come into contact with any dragons.

asa.m.waterstraut 1:38 pm
oh my gosh. oh my gosh.

Rinsters 1:38 pm
There can be a trophy.

asa.m.waterstraut 1:38 pm
YES! A TROPHY!
A prestigious mantle to show the world of my courage.

Rinsters 1:38 pm
Beyond the mountain, you may find a source of light in the forms of flashlights and lanterns. Bonus points if you retrieve these in working order.

asa.m.waterstraut 1:38 pm
oh my gosh

Rinsters 1:40 pm
Somewhere in the great abyss, you may find air mattresses to rest your weary head. Retrieve the mattress for plus one to comfy sleepiness. Come back without the pump, and the mattress will be rendered useless and you will have -1 to comfy sleepiness.

asa.m.waterstraut 1:40 pm
oh man
so many variables
I'm so excited
so I need a green lid, flashlights, a lantern, an air mattress and an air pump

Rinsters 1:43 pm
Now, there are several other camping goodies to be found. Perhaps located near the green lid. These goodies include picnic table cloths and clips to keep the table down. Other items may include off bug spray and hot dog scewers. For each of these brough back to saftey, you will be given plus one to stud-ly-ness.
Should you become unsteady on your feet, you must locate a blue tube containing a chair. Find this, and you have nearly completed your quest.
And finally, the mecca of all camping items, the reason for this quest...

asa.m.waterstraut 1:44 pm
oh my gosh, this quest is huge.
the tent?

Rinsters 1:45 pm
is the place to keep yourself warm and cozy...

Rinsters 1:45 pm
the Tent *ahhhhhhhhh*

asa.m.waterstraut 1:45 pm
gaaaso
..p
ok, ok. ok.
ok I can handle this.

Rinsters 1:45 pm
Bring back the tent, along with these other items, and you will be victorious!

asa.m.waterstraut 1:45 pm
and then I get a trophy?
and perhaps a burger?

Rinsters 1:46 pm
yes, my good sir. You will be rewarded handsomly, and celebrated on your throne when you triumphantly return!

asa.m.waterstraut 1:46 pm
oh man
this is exciting
I feel that I'm up for it, I accept the quest.

Rinsters 1:46 pm
dun dun dun dunnnn!!

asa.m.waterstraut 1:46 pm
wait
what;s the name of the quest?
I need to categorize my quest journal

Rinsters 1:47 pm
It is so secret, it is beyond naming.

asa.m.waterstraut 1:47 pm
oh man
this is heavy

Rinsters 1:47 pm
No one is to know of this quest, until you retun to the townspeople with the items they so desperatly need.

asa.m.waterstraut 1:48 pm
they're depending on me.

Rinsters 1:51 pm
They are.
Or else how will the survive in the cold days ahead?

asa.m.waterstraut 1:52 pm
they won't... prolly just die.

Rinsters 1:52 pm
its all up to you.
There will surely be a parade in your honor.

Rinsters 1:53 pm
concluding with the presentation of the trophy, of course.

asa.m.waterstraut 1:54 pm
yessss
I so got this

Next Up: Muddy Shoes, Blanket Forts, and Eye Sheilding from the game that is the Packers vs. Bucs

No comments:

Post a Comment