Thursday, January 19, 2012

Week 24: "Hello? Is This Spud Manpants?"

Well, it's Thursday and I'm getting the blog up- which is a bit late. I have no excuse really. I've done a whole lot of nothing this week. Mostly because I feel like we're living in a state of limbo. I mean, why clean/organize/start any projects when we'll just be leaving here in a few weeks anyway. No need to trim the hibiscus, cut the grass, clean out the pantry, or the garage. Which, all would have been on my to do list, had this move not been so abrupt. Now, you may be thinking I should be boxing things up. But, the reality of the matter is were moving less than 10 minutes away- theres really no need for a whole lot of boxes. This week our current landlord said we could stay until the 15th because as he said it "I'm gonna be a nice guy and let you stay till the 15th rent free". As Mom said however, "it's your security deposit at work". Lets face it, that deposit is long gone. Anyway, new rent will be due on the first in whichever place we end up at (yes, I know I said we had decided- but apparently the market is flooded with houses that fit our needs- and our latest find has a fenced in back yard!), so we'll have 15 days to move things over. Then, one day of moving the big things with a bunch of friends who have requested pizza and chocolate ice cream as their only form of payment, and we should be all done.

Anyway, yes, back to my original thought- I'm living in a life of limbo. It's a very sad existence, theres not much to do, wait for the mail lady to arrive to see what kind of junk mail she's got for me today. (Seriously- how many mattress ads can a person get in a week?) Chase the trash guys down the street, to make sure you get it out in time (I have been gathering up and tossing things that won't make the move with us- so trash day has become rather important). Let the dogs out 15 times a day, and marvel and Porkchop and Phenoms ability to pee in the exact same spot at the exact same time.

Oh, and watch TV- Granted, I sew and quilt while I've been doing so- but, I've watched a lot of daytime TV lately. It really is awful. Did you know Maury Povich is still on the air? And from what I can tell- all his shows revolve around paternity tests. How you gonna be on Maury three times and STILL not know who the dad is? I think someone just wanted a free trip to New York. Also, Regis is long gone. For a minute I thought Seth Meyers had replaced him. Yes! Weekend Update 5 days a week. But, alas, he was just a guest host of sorts. Oh, and never watch that show 'The Doctors", which could easily be called 'How many different diseases/dangers can we scare the crap out of you with". I did not need to know one person dies every day from slipping and falling in the bathroom. I now just view my bathroom as one giant death trap. Also, why was Snoop Dog on the Price is Right? Funny the set looks the same as when I used to watch it right after Mr. Ed before heading off to afternoon kindergarten, and that annoying person that's last to bid still chimes in with that $1 over the highest bid... jerks.. But, something about Drew Carey and Snoop Dog together on the Price is Right just seems wrong.

Next week it's really time to buckle down on the quilting, I'm trying to get it done before I head off to Tennessee mid-February. I suspect the first two weeks of February will be a much more productive 'living in limbo' time, than these last few weeks. Gonna have to break out some slow cooker recipes for those days. Things are about to get really busy around here. We've got weekend plans as long as the calendar can see. This week, when I thought about it, I told Asa maybe I should get going on some things at least, he deterred me with his charm, and video games. Then we both decided, it was too early to procrastinate even. So, we procrastinated the procrastination. That's how the Waterstrauts do it, people!

On to the weeks events- because that's probably what you came here to check out, anyway. If anyone is actually still reading my blog. It's nearly half way through the year of the weekly blog, so I don't blame you if you've lost interest. I know, I'm not as entertaining as I pretend to be. And now, because I've written a few paragraphs, and have lost interest in my week 24 blog already, Lets do things a little different this week. Here's some pictures, captions, lessons, quotes, and awards for the week. Enjoy, my friends.


Why I love living in Florida. This is how we spend random January Days. Who's jealous?


Ice Cream at the Beach.. In January! How is that not awesome?


Clearwater has two celebrities: Hulk Hogan, and Winter the Dolphin. This is Winter, notice the absences of the mustache.


Look! It's a PAINTED turtle.. Ba dump dump chshshsh


Bathing Suit.. Shmathing suit. Hayden doesn't care.

Lessons of the Week:

Lesson #1: Kids can be easily bribed to root for the correct NFL teams with sour straws. But, when the incorrect team loses (Tim Tebow), they will not fake disappointment nearly as well.

Lesson #2: Don't attempt to have the first ever Waterstraut Kickball Tournament and have Hayden count as outs. He'll run the bases till he collapses when he's not up to kick- but when he is up to kick, he'll kick the ball, then sit down in the fetal position waiting to have the ball thrown at him. (Lesson #3- we're probably not ready for the first ever Waterstraut Dodgeball Tournament)

Lesson #4: Don't play as Eastern Michigan University on NCAA, no matter if your wife went to school there, and you think you can save them from the football playing abyss. And, don't fool yourself into thinking a coach named 'Spud ManPants' can save this team, with his dirty t-shirt covering his beer belly, scruffy beard, and 1980's visor. (Asa, here's looking at you)

Lesson 4 brings me to the funniest quote of the week:

Hayden: *picks up phone* "Hello?"
Calib: "Hayden tell Mom we got to Casey's ok"
Hayden: "Hello? Is this Spud Manpants?"
Calib: *sigh* "Just tell Mom"
Hayden: "Ok, Happy Spud Manpants Day"
You had to be there. I cried. SO funny.

In a distant second, but still rather amusing/disturbing thanks to the FL grading system:

Calib: "I don't get it. If you have to pass the FCAT to move on to the next grade, why do all the other grades really matter, anyway?"

Awards for the week:

The Award for the Best Environmental Do-Gooder: Peyton.
He spent his day at the beach, picking up trash, after his trip to the Aquarium Animal where we learned about animals who were harmed because of the trash. An old guy up on the pier even yelled down "Good Man!" to Peyton, who got more and more disgusted each time he found a piece of trash. Ah, tourists, Clearwater Beach, and their cheeze-it boxes. Jerks.


The Award for the Biggest Over-reaction: Oakstead Elementary
We got an automated call Thursday Night letting us know we needed to 'bundle the kids up as it's going to be a cold day tomorrow'. Yes, bundle them up- the high is only expected to be 62!!!

Best Football Game of the Weekend: Um, 49ers and Saints, obviously.
If you like football, and you didn't catch this- what is wrong with you! It might be the best game I've ever watched. Plus, the Saints lost. Added Bonus.

Worst Report Card Reaction: Calib
Yes, it was report card time this week. Peyton got a respectable three B's and two C's. Hayden of course got all S's (for Successful). And Calib, well, he came in with a disappointing 4 A's and one B. I'm sorry but, I have trouble feeling sorry for a kid who pouts about the one B. We had to tell him, yet again, to 'stop being all Uncle Clint' about it. After of course we were good parents and told him how great it actually was. Peyton gets three B's and two C's and says 'Yes! That's GREAT!' Calib gets 4 A's and one B, hangs his head in shame, and says 'Why can't I ever get all A's?'

Best Dinner of the Week: Low Country Boil!
Made by this girl! *points at self* Seriously, best low maintenance meal ever. How did I not know about such a thing till a few weeks ago? So yummy, easy to make- so go make one. Yum.

And finally.. I give you...
Biggest Milestone of the week: Hayden
He climbed all the way to the top of the rope pyramid at the playground for the very first time ever. AND, wait for it.... He got down ALL BY HIMSELF.


Next Up: Dinosaurs! Art Fests! And Puzzle Parties- Oh My! (And probably the start of some procrastination)








No comments:

Post a Comment