Thursday, January 26, 2012

Week 25: Tomorrow: The Best Time To Do Everything You Had Planned For Today

Best news of the week: We aren't going to be homeless! Yay! We officially have our new house. Though, our thoughts are this is a temporary home that we will be out of in less than a year- so don't address those Christmas cards just yet- I'm pleased we were able to find a new house close enough to what we need. Priority number one was the same school district. We got that. We don't however, have a fenced in yard. However, yay for a living room and a family room. Rock Band will no longer consume the only common living space, and Asa can finally have a space for his work from home computer, besides Calib's bedroom. I think this will also be a good indication on what we really need to look for in the house we want to buy, and it also gives us plenty of time to go after the short sales, which are plentiful, but I thought out of the question due to the lengthy process. All around, it'll be a good move. Let me know if you want our new address, I sent out an email, but I know I missed some of you.

This week also saw the big campaign of 2012. No, not the presidential campaign, but the campaign to get Peyton's named changed. Hayden has become obsessed with this, informing us all many, many times that he has decided their names sound too much alike. He has started in on his 'Change Peyton's Name' Campaign. I suggested we had a debate, and election. Peyton was not amused by the idea. We'll have to see if the motion makes it past the primaries. I'll keep you informed.

Biggest Accomplishment of the week goes to Peyton, who didn't complain when Asa had accidentally gotten the toaster pastries with cream cheese filling. Occasionally the boys will get these as a special treat, but when I pulled them out of the freezer, I noticed the box and thought Peyton was surely going to throw a fit. Which, have been fewer and farther between. (Good news for my sister in law, Holly, they start to grow out of it when they're nearly 10- you're over halfway there!) He ate it, said he preferred that we not get that kind again, and went on with his day. I was quite proud of this very grown up reaction.

This week we also saw the return of American Idol to our DVR. We've all been watching together, complete with popcorn on the stove (since we've been microwave-less for about a month now- the new house has one above the stove- yay!), and everyone guessing whether or not the person can sing before they start in. Peyton is by far the best guesser. Anyway, we need new shows to watch together- Survivor doesn't come back for a few weeks, although we already have someone to root for, because her husband is a pretty prominent guy here in Tampa.

Friday night I was a bit bummed so we had a family sleepover, watched some random stuff, had some snacks, and hung out. I gotta thank everyone for being extra nice to me this weekend. I even got a soup bowl for lunch on Saturday. Fyi, Publix has the best soup ever-and their bread bowls are on sale for $1.19 this week! My freezer got stocked.

Saturday we headed over to the Art Fest at Wiregrass. It was a free event they have every year at the outdoor mall. The main street gets closed off to cars and they brought in all kinds of cool vendors, artists, and various pottery places. My favorite was a sunflower outdoor shower. I thought it was really cool, and should I ever have a need for such things, I'll be getting one. It'd be very cute out by a pool. They also had a guy who made cute little random people out of bullet casings. He had like a dog walker, a ninja, and random animals. It amazes me what people can do with the strangest things. There was also some very cool pottery places, and people drawing big elaborate (some even 3D) chalk drawings on the street. Had we not been going out afterwards, we could have brought Porkchop and Phenom, there were tons of dogs there. I thought my cousin Joanne had the biggest dog ever, but then we saw an alaskan malamute. Holy Moly.

Afterwards, we went out to Ikea to look around, get some ideas for things I might want to pick up for the new house (because everyone knows getting/needing to shop at ikea is one of the best parts about moving). Peyton was just under the height limit for the play area, so we got to drop him and Hayden off there together. Too bad Calib and Asa were too tall to play in there, they ended up sword fighting with feather dusters in the kitchen section.
Saturday night we went over to our friends Katie and Kevin's house for game night. Kevin has a daughter just a little older than Hayden, and a brother just a little bit older than Calib, so the kids all got to play together. Noah and Ann came over too, and we played some Bubble Talk and some team Dicecapades. (which Asa and I totally won- go team Waterstraut!) It's nice to have friends our age, with kids our kids age. That doesn't happen very often. Hopefully we'll all be getting together again soon.

Sunday morning we got up and went out to Dinosaur World. A friend of mine had told me about 50 percent off tickets in January if you bring in canned goods. We hadn't been before so we piled the boys and the dogs in the car and went out to Plant City. They had a really great playground, complete with a swing set of tire swings, and a fossil dig- in which the boys got to sift through the sand and keep three fossils that they found (included in the price of admission- yay!) Then we walked around and saw all the dinosaurs, and Peyton made sure to stop and read every plaque. My personal favorite was the Utahraptor. Can you guess which state the Utahraptors bones were found in? They also had cute little interactive stations, and a koi pond where the boys got to feed the fish. Overall it was a fun visit. I don't think I would have paid full price for it, but with the half off admission it was totally worth it.
We made it home in time to catch football- which is now dead to me. I can't believe the Raven's lost because they missed an easy field goal. I was/am heartbroken. Then, the 49ers had to go and lose. Which means if the Patriots win the super bowl, Peyton wins the family pool. How depressing. I really want to boycott the superbowl now, but Justin's having a party because I made him, so I think I'll go and drown my sorrows in a peanut butter ball. In other football news, the Bucs got a head coach. He's on par with Spud Manpants, but I'm reserving judgement. We'll see how it goes. On the up side, people in Tampa seem to be unimpressed by this move, which just means tickets will be cheap next year, and Asa and I can get really good seats to see Philip Rivers play, and this time, he's likely to win.

Tuesday Hayden had a note in his planner, letting me know that Hayden needed to learn how to spell/write his last name. Heres the thing- it's ELEVEN letters. The poor kid. I'm not going to press it too hard, because it stresses him out. He can't remember the beginning by the time we get to the end. And, there are certain things he'll just pick up over time. I get really annoyed with his teacher because one minute she's telling us he's beyond most first graders, but then we get notes about how he doesn't use a kleenex properly, zip his hoodie on his own, or spell his last name. I figure he's not going to be filling out his college applications and still asking me how to spell it, while sneezing all over the place, and not being able to bundle himself up for the cold weather. We'll work on it, but I'm in no hurry to 'remedy this asap' like I was told to do by his teacher.

Yesterday something pretty cool happened. I know I've raved about the site reddit on here before, but this was super cool, so I must share. Asa had posted on there about how this game, dungeon defenders, that he plays ALL THE TIME with the boys had stopped having updates for the Xbox. He talked about how it was a great game, he played a ton of hours with the kids, but that he was disappointed the updates came out for the PC and not for the Xbox. The makers of the game saw the post, and emailed him a code to get the complete game on the PC for free. They asked if they could do anything else, and Asa asked if he could have another code to put it on Calib's laptop so they could play online together, and the makers of the game came back with a code almost immediately and thanked Asa for his interest in the game. Pretty Awesome.

Last night we brought out Munchkin, it had been awhile since we had played it. In case you don't know, it's a card game in which you fight Monsters to gain levels, and once you get yourself to a level 10 you win. Asa was on the verge of winning, so I handed Calib, a go up a level card, and a monster to fight that I knew he could beat, and Calib catapulted into the win. It was pretty epic.

Funny quotes from Hayden this week:

Hayden: "Mom, do you think Bullseye can still run like the wind with his broken leg?"
Me: "I don't know Hayden."
Hayden: "I don't think so. He needs to go to the super glue hospital"

Hayden: "Where's my lotion"
Me: "I don't know, you can use mine. You'll smell pretty. You want to smell it?"
Hayden: "Argh.. Ok" (sniffs lotion) "That smells like Pink"

Next Up: Oh my gosh, Oh my gosh- I am SO excited- Saturday is MANATEE SWIM DAY!! It's supposed to be sunny and semi warm, I can hardly contain my excitement!



No comments:

Post a Comment