Friday, August 12, 2016

Olympics Day 7: Table Tennis

Quick blog tonight, I only uploaded like 20 something pictures compare to my 100 yesterday. But, I figured I'd get a blog up quick, as to not get behind. We've got the first preseason game for the Bucs (notice Calib sported his jersey today in honor of them), plus more Olympic watching! 

Today was Australia Day! We also worked on our country boxes, and held one event: Table Tennis. 


The boys got their Australia bag this morning. They were most excited about the TimTams! 


For lunch, we had Australian breakfast. Apparently, it's served with baked beans. We also had eggs, toast, bacon, and Pikelets, complete with fig preserves on top. It was all very good, but the baked beans just felt out of place. 


Everyone picked their countries for their trading cards, I steered everyone away from Fiji, announcing they had never won an Olympic medal, which was true at the time. Once I had Fiji, I told everyone I had heard earlier in the day that they would possibly be getting gold in Rugby (and they did!) The boys were not pleased. 


We worked some more on our country pizza boxes. They're pretty much complete, but we have a few more things to do with our countries before we are ready for presentations. 




Our event was table tennis, and as I was taping pool noodles to my kitchen table to attach my homemade tape net, I thought to myself...' this is my life, I tape pool noodles to the kitchen table.' (in a good way of course!) Anyway, I had picked up some paddles when Joann Fabrics had their summer stuff 60% off and I had a $10 off coupon. I got a whole lot things for the Olympics, and I think these paddles were probably $2 or less. We had the ping pong balls from Franklin Pierce's activity, so this one was pretty easy to throw together. 

 

I set it out early so everyone could practice. I did have to put Dipper in Peyton and Hayden's room, he was quite disruptive to my net. 


Everyone took turns practicing. Peyton and I had some good games going. 



And poor Asa had such a good attitude about having ping pong balls fly past him while he made our Polynesian inspired dinner. 


We would need the table for dinner, so the event had to take place early. Calib and Peyton wanted to play games, but with our oval table, it was a little weird and unfair at times, and I knew if we did normal games, Hayden wouldn't have a chance. So, here's how it worked: Everyone had 10 returnable serves from me (meaning it had to hit the table on their side). If they returned it over the net, they got a point. If they got it to bounce back on my side of the table, they got two points. Asa was score keeper, and picture taker while I served up the ping pong balls. 


Hayden went first, and got a respectable 15. 


Peyton and Calib both went (apparently Asa missed any pictures of Peyton playing table tennis), and got 19. 


Since it was a tie, Peyton and Calib asked if they could play a game to determine gold and silver. 


We obliged, and Peyton ended up winning in a close match. Calib was none to pleased (you can sort of tell in the medal ceremony picture below). 


 Our table tennis medalists. 


Dinner tonight was Polynesian. We had pork cutlets with bananas, Polynesian Banana Bread, Polynesian Coleslaw, and some apples from New Zealand. We also had Po'E for dessert. The coleslaw was the hit of the meal, surprisingly. But, the banana bread was also awesome (Asa's really doing so good on the baking!). The pork was good, but I was the only one who liked the bananas with it. And the po'e was all around a thumbs down. The consistency of it was just weird. 


Everyone but Hayden has been picking up some medals for their country. And Hayden is yet to win a gold. It's gotta happen sometime! He's had an awesome attitude about it though. I haven't really heard one complaint out of him, just a moan everyday when he asks if Cuba won anything.  



Our leaderboard after today looks like this, Peyton took the lead from Calib thanks to South Korea picking up some new medals. 


Next Up: We've got to get to our Candy Bar Election stuff, and finish up our country projects, so just one event again. And it's South America day! 

No comments:

Post a Comment