Thursday, August 18, 2016

Olympics Days 13 & 14: Water Polo, Sailing & Diving

You're getting your second two-fer Olympic blog! I knew today I wouldn't have much to report, and yesterday wasn't quite the blockbuster days we've been having, so I figured I'd just combine the two. Yesterday was day 13 (it's gone by too fast!), and we held our Water Polo and Sailing events. 


We also celebrated Calib's country, Italy! If you remember, he traded Hayden for Cuba when we drew for countries, and I think Hayden got the short end of the stick in that trade. Italy has gotten a TON of medals this Olympics. 


Calib had some fun items in his bag. The cookies were super yummy (but very chocolatey) 


The boys picked all the recipes for their country days too. For lunch we had antipasto, grapes, the cookies, and Arugula, Prosciutto, and Tomato Paninis. It was one of my favorite lunches all Olympics. 


Calib gave a lovely presentation, and told us all about his research of Italy. 


His box is also very cool. I'm not sure what to do with these when the Olympics are over, but I love them. They did such a good job! 


I had purposefully planned Water Polo and Sailing for the second week of the Olympics, because I knew we'd have the pool all to ourselves if we went during school hours. It's been a week since Hillsborough county went back to school, and everyone else (including Pasco) followed on Monday. Usually, we're totally rejoicing this event, but we've been so busy with the Olympics, we haven't noticed. We are all very excited for theme park season though. September and October are the best times for Disney, Universal and Busch Gardens- and we have passes to them all! 


Anyway, for our event, I took the colored laundry baskets from an earlier event down to the pool. Everyone has their own color around here, so the boys knew which baskets were theirs. 


I also brought a ton of balls down to the pool- everything from ping pong balls to beach balls. We dumped them in and then the boys had a few minutes to get as many balls into their baskets as possible. They were only allowed to bring one ball over at a time, and they couldn't get out of the pool to throw. Their baskets were a little further back, depending on their age. 


 Asa set the timer, and off they went. 


Hayden ended up with the most balls in his basket! A second gold medal for him! 


Calib and Peyton were less than pleased with their showing. 


After water polo, we held our sailing event. Everyone got on their 'boats' (aka a pool noodle), and sailed across the pool. 



The first one there was Peyton, followed by Calib, and then finally, four hours later, Hayden. 


After our events were done, we decided to play a game of water polo. We put two baskets on either side of the pool, and then used a volleyball. I took some pictures before I joined in. Worth noting: Hayden made an awesome water polo goalie. I wasn't so good on the other end. Asa and Hayden ended up beating Calib, Peyton, and me in a close match. 


Later that afternoon, there was more beach volleyball out at the net. 


I am going to miss our Olympic dinners. Asa has done an awesome job cooking them, while I plate everything up. We did take a little help from the Publix bakery for Italy's dessert, but for the most part Asa has cooked, and baked it all. Pretty impressive! 


For dinner we had gnocchi with pesto, shrimp scampi, grapes, and Arugula and Parmesan Salad, plus the tiramisu for dessert. It wasn't my favorite meal, but for the second night in a row, the salad was my favorite thing, and I had a second helping of it. 


After dinner we held our medal ceremonies. We awarded our sailing medalists first. 


And then we held our ceremony for Water Polo. Hayden has two golds under his belt! 


Today there wasn't much Olympic related activites to be had. Asa is in the office, and we don't want him to miss any festivities. I knew we could squeeze diving in before he left, though. (And then I just threw the USA up there as our country, because I didn't want to leave it empty!) 


 

But, waking up the boys to do an event proves to be rather difficult. This is my life at 10AM every morning. So much whining. 


It was an easy set up for our platform diving. We just took the bar stool for the platform, and various containers for our pools, which Asa filled for me. 


We each had five dives (pennies to drop). If the penny dropped in the big bucket, it was one point, the medium containers were three points, and the tiny little guys in the middle were five points. 


Asa and I hadn't played an event in awhile (mostly to give Hayden a chance to catch up in the medal count), but since we just had the one event today, we thought it would be nice if we all did it together. 


 I had a respectable 11 points. I thought I had the gold locked up, but Calib ended up with 12 points. 


But, for the first time Asa and I were both on the podium! Hayden dished out the medals, and Peyton took the picture. 


I had some errands to run, so I told Asa I would leave when he left and we could go to lunch together. So, we did that, he headed off to work. 


For our USA dinner, we had Nancy Reagan Mac and Cheese! Plus, it's like what I cook when Asa is in the office. It's easy, the boys love it, and I never mess it up! 


With the event today, Asa caught back up to Hayden- but I haven't checked for country medals today yet, so we'll see what happens. 


In other news, the blanket fort finally came down. I need to start packing away some decorative items in Home School Central, and it was just kind of time. But, Peyton told me it'll always be 'the summer of the blanket fort', and that made me smile. 


That's it from here. It was a low key day, but good to regroup for our last three Olympic days. I had to pack some things for tomorrow, and get a few other things ready for the last couple days- so the break was needed. Tonight the boys and I are just going to hang out, and watch some Olympics. 

Next Up: It's Korea Day, and the event I've been waiting for ALL OLYMPICS! 

No comments:

Post a Comment