Monday, December 28, 2020

Social Distancing Journal, Day 263 thru 266: It's finally December!

 Day 263, Tuesday December 1

Ah, December! We've made it to the last month of the year. It also, sadly marked one year since I had been to the Magic Kingdom, and that makes my heart hurt. But, you know, heres the thing. Nobody here lost their job (well, I mean, Calib and Peyton passed on the trampoline gym and chose to stay unemployed), nobody here has gotten sick. My mom, my brothers and their families- all healthy. So you know, it seems like if that's the case, I should really check my privilege. My hardship is staying home? In my house, that I own, and am able to still pay for. Like yea, I didn't get to go anywhere cool. I didn't get to have some big blowout 10th anniversary. But, things aren't so bad. Home isn't so bad. It's a good calibration year, you know? A big lesson in being content with what you have and what you can control. 

Anyway, moving on to catch up. The calendar flips one more time in 2020.  

And the heat has to come on. Some days are warm, somedays are not so much, and some days are freezing. December in Florida, crazy times.  



Still, it's almost always nice enough for a walk. 


But sometimes you just want to tuck yourself in on the couch and take a nap. 


Oh, and here's Calib, who was told his application for graduation couldn't be complete until he finished NEW STUDENT orientation. Um, he's gone to PHSC for THREE years. But, you know, when you're getting a free Associate of the Arts degree, you jump through whatever hoops they tell you to. 


Also, since we're all home ALL THE TIME this year, instead of just doing 12 activities all December long, I had one for every single day. In case you're new to our holiday traditions, we have some Christmasy thing to do. Sometimes it's just something fun- a movie night, an open bar. But sometimes it's a game, in which you earn Christmas bucks. And then on Christmas Eve we have an auction for random gifts with the Christmas bucks. Usually I make a pretty thing out of cups, but I lacked plastic cups this year, so I made do. 


Oh, and December 1st also marked Calib's half birthday (we're celebrating half-birthdays for all of us that had to have quarantine birthdays!) He asked for meatloaf and mashed potatoes for his 1/2 birthday dinner. 


And then we did our first "punch" on the Christmas punch board. 


And Calib got his 1/2 birthday present: some zebra cakes. 


So the first punch was the oven mitt present game, where you try and unwrap a present thats been wrapped a bunch of times while wearing oven mitts. 


Hayden won, earning the most Christmas bucks. But, everyone got to have the hot chocolate. 


And then we had 1/2 a cheesecake for the half birthday. 


Oh, and this was also the night we had to wrangle up some lizards that were stow aways on my plant when I brought it in from the cold. We all reacted as you would expect: 
Asa called calmly for Peyton to come get it. 
I took pictures. 
Calib freaked out. 
Hayden was worried the cats were going to eat them.
Mom screamed.



And then we played some games to finish up the night. 


We also had to bring in the basil to keep it warm. 


Day 264: Wednesday, December 2

I was not pleased with the cold situation. I don't deal with it well. 


Ellie made herself comfy. 


We did the punch, which was the tic-tac-toe races (Peyton and Asa won). 


And played some Scattergories. 


Day 265: Thursday, December 3

Grocery Delivery Day! 


And mom is getting fun mail at our house. She's an official resident. 


And Asa handled the punch for the day. 


Day 266: Friday, December 4

Mom got to making Christmas cookies. 


Asa and I swung by the library for a pickup. 


And a book box for Hayden. 


And it was Porkchop's 10th birthday, so I made doggie pupcakes, topped with whipped cream and jerky strips. 



And he loved it! 


Asa and I also had date night. 


Because in ordinary times we would have Christmas shopping date night in December where we'd go out to eat and do shopping. So we ate in our room.. 


....and then did some Christmas shopping together. 


Not exactly the same thing. But close enough in 2020. 


And after our date, Calib did the punch for the day. 


It was the guess the present game, where you wrap a bunch of stuff around the house and they have to guess what it is without unwrapping it. 


The snorkel really through everyone for a loop. 


Next Up: Pandemic Cookie Day



No comments:

Post a Comment