Monday, February 13, 2023

Happy 17th Birthday, Hayden!

So, it's not really jarring to me anymore that the kids "age up". I mean, I've been here for the last 23 years, that seems about the amount of time Calib's been in my life. But, Hayden turning 17 is a bit strange. I mean, one more trip around the sun and all my kids are officially adults. Yes, it went by in a blink of an eye. All the cliche's are true. But, the days also sometimes lasted forever. Someone once told me every age is a good age, and it's so true. Every age comes with it's own advantages, it's own excitement that just wasn't there before. And so instead of mourning those younger years, I relish the ones I'm in. Because someday, these days will be the "younger years". Anyway, one more trip around the sun. Amazing. 

We started out Hayden's last birthday as a "kid" with donuts. 

...and a covid test. Peyton was not feeling great after her trip to Chicago. It came back negative, as did everyone else who also felt less than 100% that she was with. And in no time at all, Peyton had bounced back and nobody else had gotten sick. Still, Peyton didn't partake in the birthday festivities just in case. (Peyton didn't mind, she's not a big fan of board games). 


For lunch, Hayden requested taco bell, so Asa and I went out to pick that up. 


And after lunch we did the treasure map birthday present hunt that Hayden's been doing for years (everytime I think surely he's outgrown it, he asks for it again). 


I mean, I'm 41 and I would totally find my presents this way. 


Hayden did get a new JoJos book, and another Villianous expansion, but the big presents were tickets to go see Wicked when it's in Tampa next month, and a trip to CEO TAku in September. I did also throw in some coffee creamer. Hayden's always asking for his own, and I'm like "how am I supposed to wrap that?" But, it was easy to just "hide" the treasure in the garage refrigerator. 




And then we spent our day playing the new expansion and all the other villianous characters (it's become a nightly-ish game around here). And then of course there was Mario Kart, and Mario Party. 

For dinner, Hayden asked Asa to make Five guys, and I made peanut butter and chocolate milkshakes to go along with it. 


Hayden isn't a big cake eater, instead he asked me if I could make a brownie pizza like I did for Championship Sunday. The only problem with that is it's nearly impossible to stick a candle in it, so we through one of the leftover donuts on top to help us out. 


And of course my mom zoom-ed in for the event. 


So all in all, Hayden a good a birthday. A little low key, but that's how Hayden prefers it. 

That was Tuesday last week, and then on Thursday Asa and I headed into Tampa to enjoy the nice weather. We ended up having lunch at Ulele, which has been on our list of Tampa places to go forever. 


It did not disappoint. I got the lobster roll and carrot ribbons. Had I heard of carrot ribbons before? No, but I now know I need them in my life. We also got chili and root vegetable succatash, which were all pretty awesome. Asa got some chicken sandwich too. So, in case you're wondering- we ordered way too much food. 


But it was all delicious and totally worth the hype. They do a spin on Native American food here that's just stellar. 


Since it's right by Armature Works, we stopped by Buddy Brew for some coffee. 


And then I swang by Tiff's Treats to get some take out to add to our Superbowl spread. 


I leave you with a picture of Etta believing she fits in Phenom's bed. Silly puppy. 


 

No comments:

Post a Comment