Thursday, February 23, 2023

Superbowl LVII

 It is get caught up on the blog day! All of us non-motion sick people are out on a deep sea fishing excursion for our neighbor, Kyle's 33rd birthday! (I so wish I could go, but I know I'd just be vomiting off the side of the boat all day) Anyway, Hayden and I will be holding down the fort at home today, while everyone else is off catching us some dinner! 

So, while I have a couple things I could be doing, it is 7:30 in the morning, and my motivation is low (I expended all my energy making sure everyone was out of the house by 6:45 this morning- and did all the usual Asa morning stuff plus maked sure they were packed and ready to go). While I'll try and get it together later (I have some cricut projects in the works), for now I'm cozied up with the puppies catching up on the blog. 

So, lets rewind to Super Bowl LVII. Of course, we were having our usual Snackadium for the event, so I dug it out of the back of the garage and started work on it. This year I made a Lombardi tropghy (out of a random empty spice jar and a WGU free football we got somewhere along the way, and some spray paint. And of course I made the starting quarterbacs in peg doll form. I was a little bummed I couldn't find the right color paint- I wanted white for Mahomes Jersey, or my black paint pen to give both Hurts and Mahomes the correct facial hair, OR the clear coat to seal them and have them look all pretty- still, they didn't turn out too shabby, and I don't think anyone cared but me. (When sent a picture of the peg players my nephew told me I had too much time on my hands). 


This year's Superbowl was held in Glendale Arizona, so I tried to get the front of the stadium to appear as such. 


And obviously I did the sidelines and end zones for the appropriate teams. But I thought I did a really good job on the outside of the stadium (if you look at actual superbowl pictures from State Farm Arena, I'm not too far off with my design).


I mean, the background isn't exactly the same, but it's close! And, I even added the little cardinal on the side like the real stadium has. I finished it off with the usual masking tape in team colors and placed it all on our new Superbowl tablecloth- which is basically just an astroturf rug. 


Of course on game day, I started to fill the stadium. But one of my favorite parts is giving that teeny tiny front space a makeover in a nod to the host city. This year was Arizona, so I made some graham cracker sand, and some mini cucumber/gerkin/cauliflower/broccoli/toothpick cacti. 


Plus I threw in a couple of Calib's mini helmets and my peg guys and the trophy and ta da! Snackadium LVII. Turns out it is my tenth one. 


Go ahead. Take in all the details. It's not my favorite one (that'll always be the Raymond James stadium with the Bucs as Super Bowl Champions on Hayden's 15th Birthday), but it's probably in my top three. 



I also did the bean dip as the field once again. This used to be cake but everyone appreciates the dip so much more. It's just refried beans topped with salsa and cheese and then baked until warm, then topped with guacamole (thanks to Calib for making it), and shredded lettuce, before adding the "paint" in sour cream. (Though I put it in the wrong way, and it drove me nuts but probably nobody else noticed but me). 


I finished the whole thing off with a dessert tower complete with a few of the pennets, I even made one for the "Kelce-bowl" for Jason and Travis Kelce- the first brothers to play each other in the Super Bowl. 


And then after the whole thing was filled full of all the goodies-including PDQ tenders, Publix Subs, and various kinds of chips- I got to taking a bunch of pictures- because I have to document the whole thing. 


The logos in the end zone are some of my first attempts at layering since that option was finally added/improved for the cricut mobile app. Not too bad! 


The Snackadium is by far, my favorite project all year. I get to be so crafty with it, and use all my fun crafting stuff- my cricut, my laminator, my glue gun, sometimes my sewing machine- my peg dolls, just everything! 


And your obligitory family picture with the Snackadium! 


Superbowls are fun when you're not super invested in them- you just get to sit back enjoy the day with a lot of food (which we did by snuggling up with the pups on a cold day), and then watch a good game, fun commercials, and a decent halftime show. Of course, I hated how the game ended but I can't say it wasn't fun to watch and the Chiefs weren't the better team, probably all season. 


A few other odds and ends here- which I've debated putting into a blog. But, nearly two weeks ago now, Ellie went back to the vet. They were finally ready to schedule her to pull that infected tooth. But first they had to make sure she'd tolerate getting put under. Turns out, she would not. They found some things with her lungs and her liver that aren't great. We go back tomorrow to see if anything has gotten worse, and if decisions will need to be made (it was her first xray ever, so it is also possible that those things have been there for while, thus checking on if they got worse over the last two weeks). Anyway, that was two weeks ago tomorrow, and we had a neighbor night scheduled. I was obviously in tears at the news, and we considered canceling neighbor night (which would have been the third cancellation this month). The peanut butter cookies for the night had already been made- so we decided to just meet up with the Harvison's anyway. And, I'm glad we did. They understood my tears, but also really helped not dwelling on it too much. So, thanks guys. We apprecite you. 


In the interm, wonderful Dr. Daniels (who has always just been amazing to our family- she has a very soft spot for rescues), told us if she is eating that's a sign that it's not getting worse to the point of having to say goodbye yet. Asa and I have talked about it, and decided we're just having an attitude of if it isn't today, we won't worry. So every morning Ellie gets up and has her food, we say to each other "Not Today, Zurg" (Because, we're Disney fans and throwing that in there makes it just a little bit easier) And, in the mean time, I've been like 'well, if Ellie is going out, I'm going to make her last days wonderful.' There's been so many snuggles, cozy blankets, and lizard hunting sessions in the backyard, and even a trip to the pet store to visit the guinea pigs (she loves that!) Plus of course, some pupcups. To be honest though, Ellie with her issues is like me with covid- if I didn't know there was an issue, I wouldn't know there was an issue. So far, things are pretty par for the course with her. But, I know they usually are until they aren't.



I've also been making pupcakes for any and all special occasions? Superbowl? You get pupcakes! Valentines Day? Pupcakes! President's Day? More Pupcakes! (The vet said not to give her too much people food or anything, but pupcakes are ok). 


So, lots of dog snuggles. I love them all so much, but Ellie just has the sweetest soul. They are getting up there in years, I know that. Phenom, Ellie and even Porkchop are all in double digits. And I know it's the price we pay for the love we get to give. But man, it stings. Anyway, cross your fingers for a good visit tomorrow. I'm trying not to think that far though. Not today, Zurg! 





Anyway, I really debated where to shove this in the blog, but there you go. It's here. Miss Ellie is out there living her best life for now, and isn't that all any of us can do anyway? 

Next Up: 40 days of Gardening! (It's a thing for Asa's birthday, I'll explain in the next blog!) 

No comments:

Post a Comment