Thursday, February 23, 2023

True American: 2023 Edition

   While Valentines Day had passed, Asa and I were cashing in on our Valentines freebees- Aroma Joes had bogo drinks, so we swung by and got ourselves some iced mochas (with toppings!) 



It was the end of a big morning that saw us running a lot of errands, but we also nabbed some plants fresh off the truck at Duncheons (if you missed it, we're doing a garden renovation for Asa's birthday). 


Which means I'm getting some new power tools! (PSA: I know I'm holding my nailgun backward here, it's just how I pulled it out of the box, and then I shouted "someone take a picture"). 


After yard work, we spent Saturday hanging out on the couch reading. 


Later that evening we headed over to the Largo/Clearwater area for dinner- but also to stop at the Book Rescuers. It's a bookstore run out of a lot in an industrial park. Everything is $1-$3 (with a few $5 items here and there) But it is a treasure trove of books. I found some great ones, and Asa scooped up a couple as well. 


After our Book Rescuers trip we went to some creepy junkyard to grab some pallet wood for some of my garden projects. I said to Asa "Isn't this what you thought our Saturday nights would look like when we decided to spend your life with me?" He said, actually, this isn't surprising at all. So, there's that. 


After dinner, we headed back to Land O Lakes, and we stopped by the Moon Market at the Tiki Cove. We've never been to the Tiki Cove before- it's a quick less than 10 minute drive from home- but mostly people rent the place out for events. There are a few days a week it's open to the public, I think, but on this particular evening they were having a pop up market, so we swung by. Right out on the lake, it was a little chilly for our tastes though, so we didn't stay too long. 



Back home I showed off my finds to Hayden. It's Presidents Day Weekend. I found Ulysses Simpson Grants memoirs while wearing my Hayes shirt- and I bought it for $3! Does it get any better? Yet, Hayden was unimpressed. 


Calib was working Saturday night, so it was just "Dad and the Fat Girls" as he likes to call it, a spin off of the Waterstraut Rock Band name, "Dad and the Noise" (I still contend I need to make Dad and the Noise tshirts). Anyway, the dogs need the extra snuggles when Calib is working, so Asa hangs out with them. 



The next day we were headed north into Brooksville. We finally stopped at this dive-book store looking place we always pass. It was a little much- floor to ceiling books- piled everywhere, real narrow walkways- but I did find some gems. 

Profiles in Courage AND a First Edition Eleanor Roosevelt autobiography. The thing is falling apart, but it might just be a reason to get into book restoration (at least on a very amateur level). Asa says I'm funny with all my new hobbies- but I'll try (almost) anything once!


Our trip to Beasley was lovely, as always. Bella and her babies were happy to see us, we got some Katie nose nuzzles in, and the chickens and goats were particularily sassy. We also picked up a produce box to balance out all the dining out we'd been doing lately! 




Case an point- we swung by Wawa on our way home for lunch and cashed the very last of our free $50 gift card Asa got with points off the credit card. And then on our way home we collected my bogo coupon for hot mochas at Aroma Joes. 


President's Day Asa had off work. He's really feeling for his Monday students- so many Monday's WGU has been closed for paid holidays. Christmas and New Years both fell on Mondays off this year, then MLK Day, and now Presidents Day. It's been a little rough for those students. And it'll be the same way next year too, I'm afraid. Though Asa is always around to help if his students need him (he's one of those people moving up classes for students while we're out and about), some of them has missed their weekly or bi-weekly calls. We'll get back on track with Mondays soon! He's vetoed any Mondays off until the cruise in April, so that should help. 

Anyway, with his day off we made a trip to the pet store. We took Ellie because she just loves looking at all the guinea pigs. 


Plus we thought with all her trips to the vet lately, maybe a fun trip in the car would be helpful. While we were out she got some treats, and I got some fish. 


Plus we stopped for a pupcup on the way home too. 


Later that afternoon when everyone was up and around, we set up for True American. If you don't know about the Waterstraut's playing True American, you've basically been living under a rock for the last 8 years. But, it's a game I invented from our Presidents project (and an episode of New Girl) that we've played every year since. We had our snack tower, shots.. 


...and of course the corner of shame. 


I do list all the presidents on the board to help everyone's memories out though. 


And then we were off to guess the four presidents on our headbandz. 


I usually go last- and only declare myself the winner if I finish in a round on my own. If anyone else finishes before me- but on the same round- I give it to them. Honestly, that's only fair. I was also the only one who didn't have to go to the corner of shame. But, Asa asked some good questions and finished in the same round ahead of me, so he's your 2023. 


For dinner, we had our usual presidents day spread. Cinnamon Apples and Biscuits (a staple of earlier presidents "favorites" some Calvin Coolidge (aka Vermont) carrots, and Nancy Reagan Mac & Cheese. 

The winner gets to eat off the Benjamin Harrison plate- the only piece of replica White House China I own (though I'd love to have more). This one my mom bought a few years ago for me. It's special because Caroline Harrison, the first lady, actually designed this one herself. I did come across White House China one more time- at Nixon's library and passed on it- and I regret it everyday (Ok, maybe not everyday, that's a little dramatic- but still). Anyway, everyone always wants to win to eat off the plate (and drink out of the Jefferson copper mug). 


I think I also told you guys about our volunteering at the library. I'm going to be doing some crafting classes- in fact registration opens soon, so if you'd like to come be sure to register- but Asa is helping to run Chess Club which started back up for the first time on Tuesday night. Calib and Hayden both went to partake, and they all had a great time. Asa was especially excited about our Volunteer nametags (so I'm not sure why he has such a 'mug shot' look on his face). 


And that's it- that brings us to today, where everyone is out on a deep sea fishing excursion for Kyle's birthday but Hayden and I (since we get seasick and there were only three extra spots anyway). Asa sent me a couple of pictures this morning so I'd know they made it. (But my gosh, I have no idea how they'd get anywhere that early in the morning without me. I really ran the show this morning). I'm sure I'll have more pictures on this for the next blog, but I am now officially all caught up. 




As always, I leave you with some Waterstraut dog pictures. 


Next up: We haven't made any weekend plans yet, barring what we hear at the vet tomorrow. So everyone cross your fingers we get some more "Not Today, Zurg!" moments in our future. 

No comments:

Post a Comment