Wednesday, January 28, 2015

The Miami Heat

Calib and I got back about two hours ago from our trip to Miami. It was just one night, we were gone a little over 24 hours- mostly just to see the Miami Heat play. You might remember, Calib's big Christmas present was a ticket to the game. We talked about going last year, but he picked going to see the Gators play in Orlando during March Madness instead. But, if he had known Lebron James was going to go back to Cleveland, I think he would have made a different choice. (See, you gotta do these things while you can!) 

 We considered having all of us go, but Asa's check was screwy last payday, and we're trying not to leave the dogs home alone too much (mostly Gracie, whose eye-sight is almost completely gone now). Besides that, Asa didn't want to spend two of his days off driving. I didn't blame him, so Calib and I decided we'd make it just an us trip. 

I'm not too keen on Miami. (Is it just me, or do you want to sing the Golden Girls theme song every time you hear about Miami? It's probably just me.)  I actually have only been there a few times in my life, and it's been at least 7 or 8 years since the last time I was there. I'm not sure I'd want to stay there too long, but for a night it was nice. We got there a little after 4 yesterday. 


We made the most of our time before the game, went out to dinner and did some window shopping. 





Calib wanted to be there right when the doors opened, so he could check out the stadium, hit the team store, and watch everyone shoot around before the game. 




Our seats were about 7 rows up from here-- not bad at all! 


The stadium is nice, and the view from it is pretty awesome too. It was a lovely (albeit chilly) Florida evening. 



I'm going to go ahead and count this as the most fun Calib and Mom Day ever. 


Introductions.... 


And flames! 


Bosh! (I didn't really take many pictures of the actual game, and Dwayne Wade was only in for half of it). Manny Pacquiao and Floyd Mayweather Jr. (famous boxers, for those of you who don't know) we're there too, courtside. I guess that was some big news. 


The Heat were actually up by 10 at one point. 



But per me going to a game, the team I was there to see lost ( to the Milwaukee Bucks.) But, Calib told me he had a great time anyway.  


We went back to our room, and Calib had some rootbeer and the second half of his Publix sub from lunch, we watched some Jimmy Fallon and were off to bed. Calib said he wanted to leave early, grab some breakfast and be hom in time for a late lunch so we could go to the park today and play some spy alley. 


It was no Peyton Manning trip (I mean, what ever will be?), but we had a good time. We did get to go to the Lions game in December too, so putting those two together, we've had some fun times lately. I'm telling you these one-on-one days are so much fun. I have to think of something to do with Hayden, though, he doesn't have things he's "always wanted to do" like Calib and Peyton. 

Other than our Miami trip, we haven't been up to a whole lot. Hayden had lego club at the Library on Saturday. The kids get together, have a little lesson (this week was on Gasparilla), and then they're challenged to build something (this week was pirate ships, to go along with Gasparilla). When they are done, they get to display their work in the children's room and have some snacks. 



The boys were back on 'checklists' this week, which really includes a lot of book work, Khan Academy, reading, and daily boards. Hayden needed a new daily board, during our "Sunday sit-down", we talked about what he'd like to see on it. We have nouns, adjectives, and verbs, a daily math problem, and a spot to learn the presidents in order, and the countries and capitals. (I knew it was a matter of time before he wanted to do this too.) 



This year I'm trying out a few added monthly projects (like Who,What,Where,When,Why day), along with our usual monthly Super Saturday, and a book report. This month's book report had the boys making Wanted posters for the villains in their books. Since Calib's reading a book on presidents, he picked Millard Fillmore as his villain. I LOVED his poster. My favorite was-- Last seen: Eating palatable soup (MF's last known words were "this soup is palatable") 


We're also trying out a monthly STEM day, where the boys get various stem projects. For this one they had craft sticks (I didn't have the toothpicks it called for), to build a new house for 2/3 of the three little pigs. (They apparently weren't getting along in the brick house)


The houses had to withstand the Big Bad Wolf trying to blow it down, of course. 


For these STEM challenges, the boys don't get any help from me, and no further instructions. They have to figure out how to build the house all on their own. They got really into it, and though if I was a pig living in some of these houses, I would have been quite nervous the roof was going to blow off, they were all successful in their house building. They really got into it too! 






STEM Challenges really don't take much prep work, which is awesome because I have been busy planning the next couple presidents birthdays. We've got one coming up tomorrow, and one Friday- which is why I wanted to squeeze in a blog today, because I like to give each president their own. 


I try not to get too far ahead of myself though, because I want everything I learned to be fresh in my head for the presidential toy timeline. But, after the next two, we've got 3 in the first half of February. It's going to be a busy couple of weeks. I checked a quick one off my list though (a little humor for you- William Henry Harrison actually died just a month after taking office!) 


Up Next: A day dedicated to our 25th President (The more I learned about him, the more I liked him. He was SUCH a nice guy!) I'll see you tomorrow for that one! 


No comments:

Post a Comment