Saturday, January 10, 2015

The Sorting Hat

It's been a REALLY busy day around here, but I wanted to get a quick blog out tonight about our adventures today. Since football is on today and tomorrow, we split the first book into two shorter days. That way we can catch the games. Today we made owls, and did the house sorting. That way tomorrow we can start out with owl post, and already knowing what house the boys are in. You might remember that I made the sorting hat a couple of months ago out of some paper mache, and a dollar spot (on clearance) witches hat from Halloween. 


But, I'll get to the sorting in a minute. This morning, I got up pretty late and had to make a quick trip to the grocery store. I came home and got to working on the scarfs for each house. I had picked up the fabric on black Friday (for something like $1.50 a yard!), but in true procrastinator Corinne fashion, I didn't sew them until today. 

After lunch, I took Peyton out to his tween game day at the library, and found all kinds of books while he played and hung out. Then I took him out for happy hour at Sonic. When we got home we started working on our owls. If you want to know how we put them together (they are super cute, and were very easy to do), here's the tutorial


Since I only have one glue gun, and one good pair of scissors for cutting fabric (I got the felt super cheap on Black Friday, too!), I had whoever was waiting on the glue gun or the scissors work on their birthday cards for Millard Fillmore, since somehow that slipped my mind on Wednesday. 

But I had to move the poster boards for our presidential birthdays this week over. 


To make room for this week's board for Harry Potter week. Look for lessons, a couple of fun activities, and a quote from each book everyday. I'm going to hang the boys pictures below the House they got sorted into. 

We finished up the owls in time for dinner, they turned out really cute. 




And will reside in the Owlry (aka the half wall in the living room). They'll be delivering mail to the boys every morning. 


For dinner we had 'Paddington Burgers', which Hagrid and Harry had on their very first trip to Diagon Alley. Apparently, I took this picture before Asa even put the patty on it- but it looked so yummy. 


And after dinner, the Sorting Hat put everyone into their houses. I wanted one kid in each house (to make it fair for the house cup points and all), so I came up with a pretty fun to way to sort them. 


I made cupcakes, and put colored filling in each ones. Each house has two colors, but one primary one, for those of you Muggles who don't know about the Wizzarding world. Red is Gryffindor, blue is Ravenclaw, yellow is Hufflepuff, and green is Slytherin. The boys put on the sorting hat, and let it guide them to a cupcake. Peyton was up first. 


Gryffindor! 


So, he gets his scarf, and his vase to keep track of his house points (in the forms of gems that I give out) 


Then it was Calib's turn. 



Ravenclaw! (Which is funny because he's actively rooting for the Ravens to lose to the Patriots since his Steelers lost to them last week) 


Hayden was up next. 


He picked a cupcake, and Asa got the remaining one. 



Hayden's in Hufflepuff! 


And Asa is a Slytherin. Which worked out well, because none of the kids really wanted to be Slytherin. 


That's it from here. It's divisional game weekend, and besides rooting of course for the Broncos (I mean remember what an awesome guy Peyton Manning is?), we're rooting for all the teams who have the best NFL inspired pizza. In case you need a reminder we always make pizzas for the four teams who play Championship Sunday. (I am just going link crazy here! It's so easy!). 

Anyway, we're really hoping New England loses to the Ravens. Because lets face it crab>clam. I've been hoping for Green Bay to make it to Championship Sunday forever now, because, hello, Mac and Cheese Pizza! And we'll take Seattle over the Panthers, but either way we'll be having a pizza with shrimp on it. Truth be told, the Colts pizza looks pretty good too- so for pizza purposes, I won't be too upset, but I'd really like to see Peyton Manning win. Because, you know, we're friends, and we hang out. 

Dang it, New England just tied it up. 

Next Up: ...And the Sorcerer's Stone Day! 

No comments:

Post a Comment