Friday, April 3, 2015

Finishing Up Career Week

We've finished our last two days of Career Week, except for the last pay day and bank account changes. But, I thought while Asa was catching up on TV, I would sit down and get to the blog, so I can set things up for tomorrow tonight. (I have a never ending job, I tell ya!) 

Yesterday, Calib was an IT Tech. He had his career worksheet to fill out, signed up for an account and worked through some lessons on Code Academy, and for his activity (though not exactly IT related, but all I could come up with) was putting together some snap circuits. This is another one I've been holding on to for awhile, and it was a total hit! 


If you aren't familiar with Snap Circuits, it's this kit that comes with a grid and tells you exactly how to 'snap' pieces in to make various things: lights, alarms, fans. It's actually really cool. 


And he worked his way through way more than I expected. 


Hayden meanwhile, had some difficulty with his attitude yesterday. He was a Veterinarian, but part of his checklist was feeding all the animals, scooping the litter, and giving Deleno (the tortoise) his bath. He wasn't very happy about this, and it took him all afternoon to finally complete the rest of his checklist. But once he did, he really liked the activity. I had gotten this freebie printable about animal care files, and I was saving it in his binder with all the other freebies I get that I can whip out if I don't have anything else planned. The front page gets glued to the file folder, and inside he has various sheets about information he collected. We made a run to the library to get him some books to get the information out of (I'm trying really hard to make the boys cross reference their info from books, and not just rely on the internet; and making Hayden only get his info from books). Eventually, after a morning of grumpiness, this worked out really well. I'm thinking of giving him the same thing once a week or so, and he can make a whole collection of files. He was super excited I let him use my label maker to label the file folder (sometimes he's so my kid!) 


He also had a couple of animal apps to work his way through. One of them taught him about owl pellets, and let him reconstruct the vole the owl had eaten. I thought it would be good to reinforce some of the things he had done during Care of Magical Creatures class during Harry Potter Week. 


Peyton was a Line Cook, so he helped Asa prep and cook the meals for the day. In his final culinary test, he had to pick a desert recipe and make it for the whole family. 


Asa is responsible for the picture taking here, because I wasn't even allowed to know what they were baking. 


Turns out they were little mini smores cakes. 


And they were awesome, good job Peyton! 


Then the boys got their pay for the day, updated their resumes, paid their bills and balanced their checking accounts, as always . 

Today was the last day for Career Week. It was only four days, but we have some special things going on the next few days with Easter and the Final Four. Then we're heading into another four day theme week celebrating all things Greek! Then we've got a birthday, and then FINALLY we can start taking some day trips since Spring Breakers should be out of our hair. We're thinking Busch Gardens, Dinsey, and maybe even FINALLY a Legoland home school day! 

Anyway, this morning Hayden had a MUCH better attitude. As I was changing out the owl mail from yesterday to today, he was standing behind me, telling me he couldn't wait to find out his last job. Today he got to be a Paleontologist. (It took all morning to teach him how to say paleontologist correctly). He read a book about Dinosaurs for his twenty minutes of reading, and then had a table on dinos to fill out. Then, he got to put together a Tyrannosaurus Rex! 


First he had to excavate the bones (punch them out). 


He followed the directions, and though he needed me to snap it in place a few times, he really did it all on his own. I was impressed (especially because the directions weren't all that great, but he figured it out anyway). 




Also, have a mentioned lately how I much I love my bookshelf, which we have all named Home School Central? Because I LOVE it. Not only are things SUPER easy to find (All I have to say is "Hey, Hayden can you bring me the stapler, it's in C4 bottom right hand drawer, and he knows RIGHT where to look!), but it also gives us space to display some thing we've worked on. Hayden's T-Rex is sitting in one of his cubbies. Nice and safe, but on display for everyone to see. LOVE that! 


Peyton was an electrical engineer today. He had a worksheet that assigned him some videos to watch at pbs.com about electricity, and the last item on the worksheet asked him to make a safety poster. This is what he came up with. 


I actually had this little drawing robot for him to construct, but he REALLY wanted to work on the snap circuits Calib got to do yesterday, and it certainly fit. So, I let him have at it. 




He got super advanced, and did a great job! 


Calib, meanwhile, was a Geography Teacher. He had a worksheet with a sort of latitude and longitude scavenger hunt, then he had to do flag flashcards with everyone. 


He also had to do a lesson, or facilitate one of our Geography games. We all played Scrambled States. Oh, and you see Asa back there? He was already home thanks to those couple hours he put in on Wednesday! 


So tonight, they'll have to update their resumes one last time, they'll get their pay, pay their bills, and then get to trade in whatever money they have left for Waterstraut currency: points! 

Next Up: The Final Four States & some eggs!

No comments:

Post a Comment