Sunday, August 21, 2022

Day 10: So Long, Calib!

Sunday was Calib's last morning in Ohio. When we planned the trip, I thought he'd have classes on Monday at USF, though a little while later, he decided to switch to WGU (Calib was not keen on the idea of taking out student loans), so that wasn't really a factor. Still, I was glad he was going home to be with the dogs. They're getting older, so I really worry about them. I managed to get a killer flight deal out of Cincinnati for like less than 50 bucks, so he'd get to spend the morning at the lake house before heading out.  


While everyone else got up and around, Holly, Asa and I took a morning kyak trip. And then, I pulled out some frozen t-shirts. Cort had floated the idea of a Sattler family frozen tshirt contest again this year (we did it last year for my birthday), and so I dropped off shirts to freeze at his house when I was there way back on Monday, and he brought them out to the lake house. 


I handed out the shirts, and everyone got to work. 


Cort was once again, the first one to get his on. (I even made him a special one to denote his victory last year). Holly got hers on pretty soon after that. We all kept working. 


Gwen was next, and I was shortly behind her, I was pleased with 4th. After all, I was the first Waterstraut to get mine on. 


Asa wasn't too far behind me, though. 



Next up to finish was Garrett. 


Everyone else continued on. 


Peyton doesn't like to put the shirt on, unless it's for the gold medal, so we just say unpacking it counts. 


Peyton was followed by Hayden and Grandma (check out Garrett jumping off the dock to celebrate grandma's accomplishment). 


Calib, meanwhile, was way behind. We all waited on him to finally get his shirt on. 


A successful frozen tshirt contest in the books! 


Of course, we still had to award medals, so Cort set up a podium. 


Your Sattler family frozen tshirt contest winners... 


Cort's going to get a big head about this, he's won two straight years. 


Grandma also had a cash prize to give out to the kids winner (not really, she gave them all a cash prize, but she really had the rest of them going for a minute). 


And then while Cort, Holly and mom went up to make brunch, the rest of us hung out on the dock, and Peyton took the paddleboard out. 



Back up at the house, I helped Calib get packed up and ready to go. 


Cort made dad's eggs for brunch, a staple in a Sattler get-together. I still don't think there are dad-level amounts of cheese in Cort's eggs, but he tries. 


After breakfast, Calib and Asa headed off to the airport and the rest of us made our way down to the dock. It was cold, and a little rainy. 


But we found some time inbetween the rain and thunder to use the kyaks and paddleboards. I even paddleboarded, and I had never done that before! 





Peyton fished, and we all just cozied up on the dock through the rain. 


While Asa dropped off Calib and made his way back, being stopped by a very Ohio thing. 


We spent the afternoon out there hoping the weather would clear enough to take the boat out. 


While some of us gave up and went up to the house to pack up... 


...others of us fell asleep on the couch on the dock (ahem, Gwen and Asa). 

For dinner, mom made us all lasagna. My family discovered what a big fan they were of her lasagna when she stayed with us during covid, so they specifically asked for it. 


Finally, after dinner, we had a small window to take the boat out. This time we went out with the smaller round tube, that's apparently even harder to stay on than the giant red tube. Hayden went out with both Gwen and Garrett, and Asa gave it a try by himself. They all had a blast though. 


We headed back when the clouds started rolling back in, and the thunder showed back up. But, we loved going around on the boat. I felt like my whole trip was a tour of people trying to sell me Ohio, and the lake house wasn't a bad pitch. After you get over the fact that you can in fact swim in lakes (because there aren't alligators), it's a pretty fun time. 


Thanks to the Sattlers for hosting us! We'll *probably* be back. 


Next Up: Chud Spuds and Heading back to Cedar Point!!

No comments:

Post a Comment