Thursday, August 18, 2022

Day 7: Sneak A Peek


Ok, real talk. When I am on vacation, I miss home. I especially miss my dogs, but also high on the list: our bed. Asa and I are used to our 10 out of 10 comfy memory foam KING sized mattress. So, when we go elsewhere... it's not always pretty. And on the cottage night, we ended up on the futon together. In an effort to make it a little better, we slept head to toe. But man, I can confidently say I am happy to be home in my king sized bed! 

 

You can see how well Asa slept in this picture I took bright and early in the morning, before everyone headed into the park for the extra hour the park is open in the morning for hotel guests. 

It was a really nice morning out on the lake though, so we had breakfast out on the deck. 


And before Asa headed into the park, he went out on the pier with me to do a dip kiss picture. Usually Calib doesn't do the best job at these, but he did pretty well this time. 


We also ran into another one of those rock snakes! 


The extra hour in the park for hotel guests turned out to be very productive for Asa, Jake and the kids. 


While mom and I stayed behind to pack up, we did get a late checkout, which allowed us to have an early lunch at the cottage. 


I ate outside, and was terrorized by this bird. This is the type of bird that attacked me, swooping down from a light post just outside Mantis, and pecking me on the top of the head, that scared me off of birds for basically my entire adult life. Jerks. 


Anyway, after lunch Jake headed back to Columbus for work, and we said goodby to cottage number 17. 


Asa and I walked the boardwalk up to the front enterance, because by now the kids were officially pooped, so my mom had driven them to the front of the park so they would be there to do all the coasters up there, and a little shopping. 


Asa and I stopped by the old fountain area to find the Sattler family brick to denote all of our summers working at Cedar Point. 


And then we made our way up to Sneak Peeks- where we met over 18 years ago. Behind that door, right there, is where I first met the skinny kid, with socks up to his knees, poofy hair, and terrible glasses. Who knew almost two decades would pass and he'd be my favorite person in the world. 


I even made us some shirts for the occassion. If you know, you know. (The card number on it is the very day we met). 


And of course, I know it isn't called Sneak Peeks anymore, but what's a trip without a dip kiss picture below where the old Sneak Peeks sign was. 


The kids were officially pooped by now, but they did want to do a few more rides. We all hit up the Blue Streak... 


..and then grandma did some shopping for everyone. (I especially loved the vintage ride shirts, but ended up with a teal sweatshirt instead). 


And then mom and the kids took off to Fremont by way of Toft's ice cream.


Asa and I decided to stay behind to ride some rides and hang out. 



I also realized this was probably the first time ever I hung out with just Asa at Cedar Point. There's always been other people with us. 


Since I missed out on mini corn dogs and cheese fries the day before, Asa made sure to get me some of those too. Of course, for old times sake they must be purchased at the Happy Friar. 


And you must get the cheese on the side for maximum dipping. 


Things have changed a bit since the last time we were at Cedar Point. The Snoopy Bounce was gone, replaced by teepees to sit in. 


But my very first Cedar Point home (and my very first real job) still looks the same. 



But man, I worked here they very first summer Camp Snoopy opened, and those trees were just twigs in the ground. Full grown mature trees gives an illistration of just how long it's been. 


I do have very fond Camp Snoopy memories though, so I sent the pictures on to all my co-workers from 23 years ago. I still talk to most of them! 


We debated going to Cedar Point Shores, but didn't really have the energy, so we decided to go back to the cottages to swim in that pool instead. I've crashed this pool many of times, but since technically we had just checked out, we were probably allowed to swim there anyway. 


The water was Ohio warm, which is to say, Florida cold. But, we had fun anyway. 


And then we headed on out. No worries, we came back again and again thanks to our passes! 


Back in Fremont, everyone had spread out into various rooms upstairs, and Hayden and Calib had found grandpa's old chess set. 


Mom offered to take us all to The Garrison in downtown Fremont for dinner, as they have outdoor seating. There's all kinds of new places downtown since the last time I was in Fremont, and even cute little murals and signs. 


I don't know how long The Garrison has been down there, but it was our first time. And it did not disppoint. We got drinks, appetizers, and dinner and it was all delicious. 


After dinner we went down to Elroy's, this cute little market and got some cheesecake and lemon squares for dessert. I liked the lemon square so much I went down and got one more the day before we left for the trip home. 


My Uncle Tom is still living with my mom while his house gets built, however, he stayed with my Aunt Bonnie while we were there to give us some more space. Hayden, though, enjoyed playing his keyboard. 


We finished up the evening with "porch drinking" which Calib informed us is an Ohio staple. 


Next Up: My college roomie came to visit while everyone else headed to Corts. 



No comments:

Post a Comment