Friday, August 26, 2022

Day 15: EMU & The Big Deal

 Friday was Peyton and Hayden's go-home day. But before Hayden left, he did a couple of flower arrangments for the second show. 


Asa and I took them over to the fair to drop them off. His teacups were the only entry in fairy gardens. 


He also had the only arrangment in the pirates category, and the wizard of oz category (so naturally, he won first in all of them). 


After dropped the flowers off, I did want to go visit the animals one last time. We swung by to see the pigs... 


...and the goats... 


...the draft horses... 


And the cow I liked so much... 



We checked back in with my mom to make sure she didn't need anything in the flower building, and then headed off for some lunch. 


It was more of a brunch situation, so we went back to the coffee shop for some breakfast sandwiches.. 


...and we swung by Elroy's to get some picnic-y foods for our trip home. 


When we arrived back at my moms, I worked on packing some things up, and told Hayden to chug the last of the chocolate milk (which he happily did). 


And then we were off. They were flying out of Detroit, so we were adding another state to our trip. Welcome home, Asa! 


The welcome center there is lovely, complete with a playground, so many flowers Asa could smell them, and even a covid testing site. Apparently at this point we almost certainly had covid and just didn't know it, so a test wouldn't have been the worst idea. 


Peyton and Hayden did get to the airport with plenty of time to spare. They were masked, so hopefully that helped them mitigate their spread (spoiler alert: they would both wake up the next morning with sore throats and test positive for covid). Hayden did, however, make it through security just fine on his return trip. 


Asa and I had plans in Toledo that night, so we decided once we dropped them off, we would kill the day in Michigan. We toyed around with a couple different ideas, but ultimately decided we didn't have a ton of time, so we would just head on over to Ypsilanti. 


First we swung by a coffee shop... 


But we were really there to see my old stomping grounds: Eastern Michigan University. Of course, no trip to EMU is complete without a visit to see the water tower. 



Not many buildings were open, including what was once the student union (is it still? I have idea, it was all locked up and I couldn't see in). 


We made our way around the campus, me pointing out buildings where I had classes, and all kinds of new places that weren't there back in my day. My old dorm, Wise hall, is still there- but the windows have been replaced and it looks all fancy now. 


There's a whole new building over by the lake (the new student union perhaps?) 


We sat in the grass for awhile and listened to the band practice. 


Before circling back up the hill to the car. I forgot all the times I had to walk up and down hill on that campus! Who thought to build it like that? 


Asa was most interested in something not on campus, but rather a few blocks away: Rynearson Stadium. He played as EMU on NCAA and has a fondness for the football team. 


He was so excited, in fact, he video called Calib to show him around. I especially enjoy this sequence of pictures showing off the stadium to Calib on his phone. 



We discovered the gates were open, so we were able to even get a peek at the inside, which Asa was most excited about. 

After out trip around the stadium, we headed to Toledo. We knew we were going to stop at Costco for gas, but my mom had bought the wine I like from there before I arrived, and I noted my Costco doesn't carry it anymore- so I swung by for not one, not two, but three bottles to bring home! 


RIght by Costco is a bar called the Casual Pint, where my Uncle's band often play. I haven't been to see him play since I was a kid, so we made sure to stay in Ohio long enough to make it to one of his gigs. A whole bunch of other Sattler's joined us including my Aunt Debbie, Uncle Mike, cousin Jessi and her husband, Joe. 


Of course my Uncle Grant was playing, so Aunt Sharon was there to support him. Jessi and I are Aunt Sharon's only neices, so it was fun for her to have us both in the same place. 


JP & The Big Deal (Uncle Grant is apparently "the big deal") played the night away. 


Meanwhile, Calib successfully got his siblings from the airport. Calib said "Siblings acquired" and I later wanted to cross it out and write "covid aquaried" because, spoiler alert: this is where Calib was exposed to covid. 


Luckily, nobody else we were with Friday came down with covid. It's been a week and a half now, so I feel confident about that. Asa and I had requested an outdoor table, and though there wasn't any available, the Casual Pint does have an entire open side to the resturant, and we sat right there. Maybe it was the fresh air that protected everyone? Either way, glad we didn't spread it to family. 

We did have a fun evening. Asa shared his review of Jakes hotel with Aunt Sharon, where he especially praised the "lovely charasmatic bartender, Jake". We stayed until JP and the Big Deal's first break, and then we headed out. 



On our way back into town I made Asa stop by the Fremont sign. I wanted to get a picture by a Welcome to Fremont sign, but apparenly they took them all down and now just have boring "Fremont Corporation Limit" signs. Lame. 


Next up: Covid comes for us

No comments:

Post a Comment