Saturday, July 16, 2011

Day 22- So Wheres my Room Service?

I woke up this morning when my alarm went off, and Peyton opened the door to the hotel living room area, pouring in the light from the huge windows in the bedroom. Last night I was excited to be sleeping in a room without windows, since I'm very picky about sleeping in complete darkness. Strike that, since I used to be very picky about sleeping in the dark, until about 3 weeks ago when I couldn't adhere to that any longer. Unfortunately I was sleeping with Hayden, and I have now discovered he has inherited his cousin's 'crazy legs'. I was kicked and pushed a lot. I will not be sharing a bed with Hayden any longer.

We did have breakfast in the hotel, and while it wasn't quite the windjammer, it was pretty good food. They had a rather large spread, so we all had a good breakfast and headed out down to the falls, after dropping our luggage in the car. There was signifcantly less people walking around down by the falls, so we made a bee line for the maid of the mist. Along the way Hayden took a moment to go chasing after seagulls, and I took pictures of Peyton acting out signs that told him what he should NOT be doing. Look at me being such a good influence. There was hardly any wait, so we got in line and walked right up to the boat they were unloading. It's a really good thing we didn't have to wait very long, because I put my rain pancho on and it was sticking to me making me super hot and sweaty. Hayden kept whining that he wanted to take his off, luckily it cooled significantly when we got on the boat.

The maid of the mist was super awesome. Peyton really enjoyed it, and Hayden who had been super grumpy (probably because I actually had to wake him up) really made a turn around when we were on the boat. The breeze coming off the falls was amazing. The wind they produce is crazy. When we came up to the horseshoe falls we got super wet, you could hardly see, but it really gave you a perspective on the amount of water and force coming down the falls. Peyton had been reading a book about Niagara Falls and was talking about stories of people going over them in barrels, and a boy who was rescued.

After that we went up and had some drinks and split some fries and a hot dog, and saw just how massive the line had become for the maid of the mist. Think of a roller coaster (any of them really), think of first being able to walk on, and think if when you got off the line was to the entrance. Thats pretty much what happened. It was crazy! We walked the length of the falls back to a gift shop. Hayden is running awfully low on vacation funds, but he still has a bit left. Peyton got some money for his birthday, so he has a replinished fund. Calib still has a ton left, I should have given him some of it, but I forget. I will see him Monday though. My mom also got me a maid of the mist charm. I'm pretty cheap when it comes to charms. I sprung the $9 for my whale tail in Skagway, but that was about as far as I went. I wouldn't have gotten the one today if she hadn't gotten it for me.. so thanks mom!

We took the tram back up the hill, because at this point the boys were pretty tired of walking and it dropped us off right by our hotel. It was worth the 2.50 a person (plus Hayden was free!) Although, Hayden was really skeptical of going on it at first. He thought it was some kind of fast moving and dropping ride, and kept comparing it to the tower of terror, which the operator thought was pretty amusing. He got on eventually and was pleased he did, so he didn't have to walk all the way up there really steep hill again.

We went and got the car from the hotel, and stopped for a bathroom break and another gift shop stop. Mom bought Peyton a book about the 16 people who have gone over the falls, which he read on the way back, cover to cover. We were really lucky going through customs without a long wait, the other side was backed up from one end of the bridge to the other.

On the way we made a detour to go see the Buffalo Bills stadium, so I could take my picture out in front of it. It wasn't far off our route anyway, so the boys didn't complain really at all. I gotta say, the stadium was very underwhelming. I've seen college stadiums that have more pomp and circumstance. It seemed so plain and simple, and boring. But, there's another stadium checked off my list. I wasn't the only one stopped taking pictures either, there was some guy from Oregon doing the same thing.

We drove the rest of the way home, and noticed all the deer crossing signs. There were a lot, more than the Moose crossing signs in Alaska. We never saw a deer (I know they're more dusk and dawn type animals- but I'm making a point here). I guess were consoling ourselves for not seeing a moose. Anyway, we kept putting off dinner. Eventually mom thought there was a Fazoli's at one of the turnpike stations, but in her old age her memory must be failing her, because we never found one. We decided to go the rest of the way home and just pick up dinner at Little Caesars. Mmm yummy.. crazy bread!

The boys are now unwinding with their video games. I was hoping they would go to bed a little earlier tonight since they got up so early. But Peyton slept a lot in the car, and Hayden seems anything but tired. I am watching the news now though, and not liking what I'm hearing about a heat wave just beginning. yuck. I'm going to stop watching the news. The metorologist is all 'It's going to be unbearable, theres not much releif in sight, you're just going to be miserable with AC' Ughhhhh. I miss my air conditioning. And my ice maker. Poor Hayden is so confused, he never knows where to get the ice from.

Funny Quotes of the day:

Me: I'm not your maid
Hayden: Mom, whats a maid?
Me: Someone who comes in and cleans up after you
Hayden: Oh ok, but wheres my room service?

Me: We'll eat dinner soon
Peyton: when's soon?
Me: Well, soon is a relative term
Peyton: What does relative me? Is that like how dad says he'll be out of the bathroom soon, and then he's in there for 30 minutes?

Me: Hayden, use the potty before bed
Hayden: Good idea mom, I wouldn't want to pee on my brothers. Or, not my brothers. I only have one brother here. I'd have to pee a lot to pee on Calib.

Homesick Meter: 7.8. Hayden was not well behaved today: self taken end of the day picture is a grumpy Corinne. Plus all this talk of heat and humidity (minus AC) is making me sad. Plus, Asa sent me a picture of porkchop, and I was saddened to think he probably doesn't even remember me at this point.

Up Next: Visits with the Ainsworths, and maybe the Sattlers too!

No comments:

Post a Comment