Saturday, July 9, 2011

Day 12- 'I guess life not a cruise ship will be ok.'

This morning was a grumpy morning, thanks to the very large amount of boat moving we had going on last night. Nobody really slept all that well. Holly said as she heard their bathroom door swinging open and closed last night she thought about how sea sick I was getting, and boy was she right. Asa was even sea sick last night. At times I seriously felt like I was on a roller coaster. There was no gentle rocking back and forth (even though I also find that sickening), it was just all over the place, all the time. Even the crew commented to Asa this morning how that was the worst the ship has rocked in a long time. Oh goodie Clint thinks the rest of the trip is also going to be rough. And Cort said the part we are sailing through tonight small ships aren't even allowed through, and cruise ships can only sail through certain times of day because of the rough sea. Let me tell you, I am excited about this development, and by excited, I mean, gearing up for a night praying to the plastic/porcelain goddess.

We did decide we were going to try and get up in time for breakfast this morning, so we went and ate right when the ship was docking, afterward, we tried to collect Mom from her room, but she was still sleeping. Even our room attendant thought she was gone for the day, but then he realized she was still sleeping (after walking in the room), he saw us in the hallway and seemed very confused. "Grandma still sleeping?" We were going to tape a note to the inside of her door to tell her to meet us off the ship when she got up, but all the commotion of the room attendant woke her up, and there she was gasping at the fact that it was 9:30 and she had slept so long. She looked hung over, her Clint and Jess must have been partying to the wee hours. You know those crazy kids. Eventually, she got up to go though.

Sadly, today was our last port stop. No more feet on the ground in Alaska. Ketchikan is either the last stop or the first stop for cruise ships, and usually they have 5 of them in at a time, but today our ship was the only one in port. Everyone kept telling us if it didn't rain in Ketchikan, you should make it on your calendars. Well, mark it down people. Here's the funny thing. In Alaska good weather means pretty much anything without a down pour all day. It can be 40 degrees, (which I'm convinced it was some places- but keep in mind my internal thermometer may be a bit off coming from Florida this time of year), with drizzle and no sunshine, and it's still considered good weather. Floridians are weather snobs. If it's not 90 degrees with no clouds in the sky, its not a good weather day. Ketchkian, apparently is the rain capitol of Alaska. Yet, we had a few spots of drizzle, and that was all. I am a little worried about saying, I found the weather to be 'nice'. This is mostly because I wasn't freezing my butt off, like I have been most vacation. This worries me, however, because eventually I have to go back to 100 degree heat. I might just be permanently hot the rest of the summer now.

We (and by we I mean plus mom, minus Hayden- yay kids club) got off the boat earlier than the previous days, hoping to maybe see some tide pools for Peyton, since Clint had such luck yesterday. Unfortunately, there wasn't anything to see. We walked down and saw some totem poles, and to creek street. I think I expected creek street to be a bit longer. There were some neat shops along there though. One girl told us we were lucky we weren't here in August, because when the salmon run, there's sealions everywhere trying to eat them. I didn't feel lucky, I was sad that I missed it! I was amazed at how low the creek was, but noticed that the water clearly rose another 15 feet or so. The tide here absolutely amazes me. In Florida, it's a few feet. Here is can be as much as 25 feet. When we arrived, across from our boat, there was lots of beach, docks that seemed forever away from the houses. When we were leaving, the water was right up to the houses. The other day when our boats were tendered, originally you got out at level 2, and by the end of the day, you were coming back on level 3. I was fascinated by this.


Ketchikan, at least the part I saw, is mostly a bunch of shops and restaurants. Most ports seem to be this, which makes me glad we did the land tour, and got here a few days early. I feel like that's when we really saw Alaska. Clint and Jess found a lot of hiking trails and went off to explore in all the ports, and saw some really cool stuff, so I think their experience was a lot different. It's funny how we were all on the same trip, but had totally different experiences. It'll be fun to pool our pictures on snapfish to see what we come up with. We went shopping, since it was our last opportunity to do so. I did get some really unique to Alaska things though. I found a thimble made of seal skin. I know, I like to think of it as a seal dying of old age and someone coming along thinking 'oh, I could make a thimble out of that.. Instead of the alternative. Mom and I aslo found 'Alaska 19th state' charms that we bought, since it's both of our 49th states. I finally broke down and bought a hoodie. Mine was so gross and dirty, I'd be wearing it nearly all vacation. You certainly can't tell what day it is in the pictures by what I'm wearing. As a bonus, when Asa stopped to get coffee, the coffee shop had free wifi, so I could post the last two days of blogs.

We had lunch on the ship, and for the first time left Hayden in kids club during lunch. They take all the kids for lunch, but we had been going to get him. I figure for a week it's just going to be me, Peyton, and Hayden (and Mom of course, but she'll have A LOT of work to catch up on), so I might as well take advantage of the free babysitting while I have it. Plus, Hayden loves kids club. That's really all he wants to do. Last night they had their Pajama Party, and tonight was Pirate night. For Pajama Party they all came in their pajamas, and colored pillowcases. Hayden always comes back with a little something. He calls it 'free stuff for nothing'. And by nothing, he means all the money grandma paid for this vacation. But, I mean, he got a free pillow case, so the 40 grand was totally worth it.

After lunch Mom and I got back off the ship to shop a little more. Like I said, last port, last opportunity to shop. We did find a really cute little quilt shop, along with all kinds of funny boxers. My favorite was the 'but quack' with the three little ducks on it. Yup, I'm that easily amused. Mom also find two wise moose to go with her nativity scene. And with today being the last day and all, I think she takes the cake for most unique moose thing found. HOWEVER, I also located the moose poop ornaments, and the turd-em pole. It is EXACTLY what it sounds like, folks. Suddenly, that lady in the kids shop in Icy Straight saying the kids play with the stuff all the time was totally accurate. Because here, they even make souvenirs out of moose poop. Who knew. I guess they can market just about anything in Alaska.




Back on the ship we had a mini balcony party. Since Mom and Asa and I have the outside rooms, we invited the lower class citizens over. (This is one of the few times I get to pretend I have more money than my brothers, so I'm just going to keep on riding this one.) I feel like our views have not been the best, but today it was nice because all afternoon we got to watch all the sea planes taking off and landing all day. Today I learned (well actually last week I learned, but whose counting) that 1 in every 60 Alaskans have their pilots license. It's a pretty popular way to get around. Oh, and if you're still counting Asa's room service orders, you can put another tally up there right about now.

We ate in the diningroom again tonight. It really is the best dinner on the ship, plus we all get to eat together. Our waiter, Everton, is the best. Peyton, Gwen, and Hayden have ordered the same thing every night. Peyton gets a minute steak, well done. Gwen orders mac and cheese. Hayden- get this- cheese pizza, with pepperoni. Tonight, Everton just walked over to each of the kids, stated what they wanted, including Haydens 'cheese pizza- with pepperoni' (because there's a difference between that and pepperoni pizza). I said tomorrow they should throw him for a loop and order something different. But, they won't. Why change it up on the last day, when it's worked so well for them?

The kids get to eat first, then they always get restless, we're lucky enough to be on the side of the dining room, so they can kind of run around behind us by the windows and not bother anyone. Although the last two nights, they've skipped dessert and Asa, and Cort or Holly took them up to kids club. Last night Everton told us they would take the kids up for us, so we wouldn't miss our meal (Even though he's been kind enough to cover the meal of whoever is missing when it arrives). Tonight, the kids club counselors were waiting at the door when the kids were done. The service, I tell you. I don't know how I'm going to survive having to cook, and entertain the kids again! Tonight at dinner, I was difficult. I ordered three appetizers, and no entrees. But, that apparently entitled me to two crab cakes, instead of 1. Yum. Then, Cort had wanted to see the banana splits all week, but the kids kept bailing to head to kids club, and none of the desserts really spoke to me, so I ordered it. I got a weird look from Everton, but he totally brought it for me. At the end of dinner every night we get a nice little speech from him about the next days events, we missed it last night heading to the show, but we called him over tonight because we wanted to hear it before we had to leave. We did discover tomorrow night is lobster night though!

We were on a time crunch, because the rock climbing wall was only open till 8. And, MOM was going to climb the wall. Yes, my mom climbed up the rock climbing wall. We should have taken bets how high she would get. I think another grossest desert bet would have been appropriate. Hedge your bets now, because I'm about to tell you... She made it to the top! Clint and Cort took some pictures, I took video. And from start to finish (ground to ground) it's only 3 minutes. I'd say she did pretty well. She told us she hoped they were good pictures though, because she was never doing it again.


Being the big gamblers that we are, we (the adults) headed out to do our 2 cent slots after dinner. The game is to see who can make their dollar last the longest. Mom won, but only because she didn't play more than 2 cents at a time (more than one line). You know how conservative she is. Clint and Jess didn't play though, they gambled away a dollar each the night before, so it was just too rich for their blood.

Just before the nightly show started, the kids club had a pirate parade come through the theater. Peyton opted out. No singing (or pirate chanting) and dancing for him. But, it was rather hilarious. I don't think I was supposed to, but I did take video of the whole ordeal, and the kids with their pirate bandannas and pirate face paint putting on their show. Luckily, Gwen and Hayden were right next to each other so I was able to get both of them. It was more entertaining than the actual show tonight. That gave new meaning to the insult of being a cruise ship singer/dancer. There wigs, and fake smiles were just too much to take. The comedian and impressionist were much better. Plus, the kids came back with all kinds of pirate paraphernalia, including a compass. At first Gwen thought it was a beer cap (Guess Cort's hitting the bottle a little to much). But then Hayden and Gwen argued over weather it was a funkus, or a pumpkis.
When we got back to the room, I had a towel bat hanging from my ceiling. I have towel animal envy though, Cort gets some seriously good ones. But I guess he told his room attendant that he really appreciated them, so he's been getting awesome ones all week. He got a crab, and a starfish in one night. And the other night, he had a wolf on his bed, wearing sunglasses with a remote in hand watching tv with Garretts stuffed wolf. I'm saddened might aren't nearly as inventive.


Some nights the discussion about where everyone is sleeping is greater than others. Because of the way the rooms were reserved, Garrett was with Cort and Holly, Gwen was with Clint and Jess, Calib and Peyton were with mom, and Hayden was with us. However, it seems to be a bit of musical beds with the kids. Garrett sleeps best in moms closet. Yes, you read that right.. but it's a walk in closet, and his pack n play fits perfectly in there. Gwen wanted to sleep in here with my whole family, but there wasn't enough room, and as Cort says nobody wants to sleep in the same bed with Gwen because of her 'crazy legs'. Eventually, Calib went over to mom's room with Gwen.

We ordered room service, so Asa's need for ordering it hasn't slowed, in case you were wondering. After you order it on the tv, they call to see if theres anything else you need, you know in case you forgot it 30 seconds before hand when you ordered. I really wonder if they think 'Really? The guy in 1594, AGAIN?'

At bedtime, we had to set the clocks back. We went from Alaska time to Pacific time. Now, I'm only three hours behind normal. Not that that'll really help me much when the kids are still sleeping in until noon when we get back to Ohio. Asa said we really got screwed, because we lost the hour of sleep, but we never really gained it. You know, because that was just an awful day.
When we boarded the ship out of Ketchikan, Mom was the last one on. So, she's the last one to set foot on Alaskan ground. We determined that Garrett would be the last one in Alaskan waters though, since he's sleeping in the closet in mom's room which is the farthest back on the ship. Sneaky Garrett that way.

Next Up: Sadly, Our last cruising day.

No comments:

Post a Comment