Saturday, July 23, 2011

Day 28- Tell the World I'm coming home!

The day has arrived, it's go home day. However, I am currently sitting at the Detroit airport- when I should be boarding a plane. Why? Because my plane is, shockingly enough, delayed. This does however mean it'll be after midnight when I get home, which makes day 28 not actually go home day, and instead Day 29. *Sigh* I thought Peyton was about to melt down when we saw the sign saying it was delayed. He did collapse onto the ground and yell "NOOOOOOO!" in the middle of the airport. The people at the gate looked at him, like, geez, thats being a little over dramatic. I did announce to them that we were on vacation for four weeks, so all that he's thinking about is getting home.

This morning I had planned on getting a few things done at my moms house, getting the sheets and everything off the bed, and downloading her pictures to my computer among other things, but after packing everything else, repeatedly weighing bags, reshuffling things, and reweighing them over and over again, I was so sweaty and gross I could hardly stand it, so I thought, screw this- I'm outta here.

We got in the car and cranked the air up, and went up to Toledo. I did stop by the cemetery that my dad and grandpa are buried at, because I felt guilty I hadn't been in a year. Now, my dad would be the last person to care, but I thought I should go, so we did. It really bummed us out, for obvious reasons, but Haydens complete lack of the concept of death amused us. We pulled in and he said 'is this the zoo?' Oh boy. I replied 'No Hayden, this is the cemetery'. Hayden says 'Whats a cemetery'. Peyton tells him 'it's where they bury people when they die'. Hayden thought for a moment and said 'Oh, can we go see where Mr. Ham Lincoln (this is how he says Abraham Lincoln, and I refuse to correct him because it's so funny) is buried?' He was pretty confident anyone who had ever died was in this cemetery. It didn't help matters when we passed a headstone that said "Hamm and Peyton tried to convince Hayden that was Abraham Lincoln. We also had earlier had a conversation about death, in which Hayden told Peyton 'I can't die, I'm too young'. Peyton, being the ever practical one said people can die in an accident at any age (I did tell them to quit talking about it, but they continued). Hayden then proclaimed if he died young it would be only if a fire breathing dragon caught him, and ate him. Oh Hayden, always being realistic. I did finally get to see the pavers in the veterans section for my dad and grandpa in person though, that was nice.

After our stop we went over to pick up my cousins Jake and Nate, and went over to Panera to meet my friend Ben and have lunch. It was me and 5 boys, which is really only one more than usual, so I didn't really feel all that out of place. After lunch we headed out to the zoo. I knew we didn't have a lot of time (actually we did have a lot of time, I just didn't know it-- stupid airport delays) so we just stayed in the front part of the zoo with the polar bears and seals, and the zebras and giraffes. I was quite disappointed that there was no baby polar bear, even though it was quite hyped up. What a let down. I did get to ride the Lion on the carousel though. A storm was brewing, so we headed toward the entrance and of course had to make a quick gift shop stop so the boys could get something. I think Hayden is going to be real upset the first time we go somewhere when we get home and I tell him he can't get anything. Talk about spoiled the last four weeks. (In their defense though they did save up for 6 months for this trip)

The rain started while we were in the gift shop, I was hoping to wait until it let up, but I thought I was on a time crunch (I am not bitter at all my plane is delayed). Eventually I said goodbye to Ben, and ran to car. Then I drove up on the sidewalk to pick everyone else up. It was a Florida sized storm with tree limbs and power outages and everything. The boys thought it was cool we were driving around right after it- we saw car accidents, lights out, and limbs down everywhere.
I wanted to see my grandma and Aunt Bonnie one more time, so we stopped up at grandmas. Because I had my moms car, her friend Lyn brought her to grandmas and we all met there. We were supposed to go to the igloo for ice cream, but because of the storm we thought it would be best to go to McDonald's instead. Then, again in the effort to save time, we decided to drink our frozen lemonades/shakes/smoothies on the way. Grandma came with us so we got to visit a little bit more, that was nice.

We got to the airport, had dinner on grandma, and the boys got an airplane set with some cars. It's a good thing too, I packed away a lot of the stuff so between those and the coloring books and crayons grandma set, we're not getting too ancy about the delay. However, as Hayden is flying the plane around, he says "This plane is flying to Alaska- and it's taking them FOREVER to get there" Ah ha, he does remember something from the last four weeks.

Score! Plane has landed. Looks like I'll get to finish blogging in the air!

In the air now, on the way home. They got us on and going pretty quick, so I might just make it home before midnight. Asa sent me a very cute picture of Porkchop just before I got on the plane, so I suggested he bring Porkers to the airport with him. I really thought he would say that he didn't want to listen to him whine, and wasn't going to bring him, but he actually agreed and said he would bring Phenom too. Although, when he picks me up he might complain that Porkchop whined the whole trip. Whatever, though, I had his kids whining the whole trip, he can handle my dog for an hour and a half. I would like to thank Airtran for providing directions on how to eat this delicious package of pretzels though. I would be lost without them.

So, vacation is over. That pretty much means the end of the blog- although I have one planned for tomorrow I've been working on since Day 1. It's pretty entertaining if I do say so myself. Some people have suggested I keep the blog going once I get home. Of course it would need a new name, since it would no longer be about the epic vacation. We'll see. I would like to thank Christina Miller for the idea to write this blog though. I would have forgotten half the vacation unless I had written it. I'm going to bind it for the boys, so they can always remember it. I doubt we will ever take a vacation of such epic proportions again. This is one for the record books.

Next Up: Getting off the plane and heading for home

No comments:

Post a Comment