Friday, July 1, 2011

Day 6- Elk Burgers and Baby Jesus Moose

Today we took the Motor coach today from Denali to Anchorage. We left a bit later, so we got to sleep in a bit, which was nice. Once all the kids were up and around, they went outside to run around. I stayed up in the room to pack things up, and when I finally emerged on our balcony, I saw all the kids climbing up onto a giant rock and jumping off. Yea, because nothing can go wrong when 5 year olds are jumping off rocks twice their size. Luckily, we still have everybody in one piece. If you're not including my sanity.


Most of the morning and afternoon was spent on the bus. It's funny how the drive takes so much longer on the bus than it took me and Asa in the car. Or, not really funny at all since I never really leaned over to check on Asa's speed. This is the guy who made it to Ohio for the wedding in 15 hours. Our tour director is keeping the kids, and some adults entertained with some word unscrambles (which were apparently decently difficult since even the brainiac Clint couldn't figure them all out), scavenger hunts lets make a deal style, and telling us how many of each state can fit inside of Alaska. Apparently, Alaskans like to make fun of Texans, because they are the bigger state. And, they like to say 'you better watch out, We could split Alaska in half, and then Texas would be the third largest state'. Also, driving through a small portion of Alaska twice, for hours on end has made me hate Georgia less. I used to think that was the never ending state- psh. Plus one to perspective.

We got to stop twice. One time had a nice overlook, the other stop had ice cream. It was good for the kids to get out and run around a bit. We were hoping to be able to see Mount McKinley today, and moose. There was no such luck on either. Too much cloud cover for McKinley, and too many Sattlers in one place to see a moose. Asa sat back with Hayden and Gwen and entertained them with movies. I slept a lot of the way, to avoid getting car sick. The ice cream was yummy, and I would like to thank my grandma for it, since she plucked a couple 20's off her tree in the backyard to give to mom before she left. But, grandma, you better watch it. Mom's just throwing that money around. She acted as though she just won the lottery, offering to buy the bus driver and tour director ice cream. She's out of control.

The Sattlers have all taken over the back of the bus, nobody wants to sit around us- gee, I can't imagine why- so it's all 12 of us in the last couple of rows on each side. It was nice around lunch time when we all shared what we had left for food. We're trying to get rid of all our food before we board the ship tomorrow. This resulted in a very strange lunch. There were PB and J sandwiches and bagels, fruit snacks, pretzles, crackers, granola bars, trail mix and chips. (It was quite heavy on the carbohydrates). Holly did have a small snack size package of carrots that she shared with everyone.

I was really glad yet again that we rented the car and drove that way ourselves, because sitting in the back of the bus, the view is really limited, and we didn't get to stop and get out at any of the picture spots. However, our tour director did point out random things, like a Pizza Hut in Wasilla where he was once eating dinner, and a moose came up to the window to peer inside at everyone eating their pizza, and the road that the Palin's live down. I'm pretty confident Russia was no where in sight.

When we got to Anchorage, we wandered around town a bit, and the kids played tag in the grassy area by the visitors center. They had a rough day being on the bus for so long. I'm surprised Holly is still sane after today. It's hard to have a toddler on a bus with 46 other people. Once they could get out and run around, they seemed fine. After about an hour downtown, we drove to our hotel. It's a nice place (a Marriott), but somehow I have the bad view this time. Mom, Cort and Clint can all see the water from their rooms. I can see some mountains, but it's mostly buildings. Perhaps this is karma for the good views the other nights, and the subsequent rubbing in of said good views.

We went to dinner at a cafe that had some good seafood. Me, being the bargin hunter that I am, had gotten a groupon for our dinner. We didn't sit all together, since we all had the groupons and it was one per table, so we sat by famlies, and Clint and Jess ate with Mom. Cort came over after dinner impressed because he only had to pay $7. We totally had him beat at $1.45. Way to go groupon. Asa, Calib and I split all kinds of yummy stuff. We had crab cakes, seafood salad, seafood chowder, and an elk burger. I gotta say, elk doesn't really taste all that much different than beef. I guess it's the other brown meat.

After dinner, we hit a moose filled gift shop, complete with a Sarah Palin cardboard cut out. Mom has been on the hunt for unique moose items, and she found it today. She got- get this- a moose nativity scene. Yes, a baby jesus moose in a manger, a mary moose, and a joseph moose, and a little angle moose. Somehow it seems a bit sac religious for a devote catholic, but how do you not get that? It makes my pasta/salad serving moose set look like a dishtowel or something. I guess I lost that one.

We have to be up really early tomorrow, so Asa and I brought our kids back to the hotel pool to swim, and just relax a little bit. We had already gotten to see Anchorage, so I thought it was best for them to unwind. Mom then decided to send Asa down for some drinks, being the big lush that she is. Alaskan bartenders really don't care. He didn't get carded, probably for the first time ever, since he still looks like he's 18 and all. Plus they gave him this whole big tray to bring them back up to the room in. I think that seems to be the theme- Alaskans, the people who just don't care... about anything, really.
.

It was a pretty uneventful day. But, I do have a couple things to file with the today I learned category:

1. Alaskans do not consider a strawberry daiquiri a frozen drink. It comes with ice, but it isn't blended.
2. Rhubarb here can be big as a grown man. (Also, cabbage can weigh 100 pounds, and zucchini are commonly 3 feet long) Sunlight all the time, for the win!

Also, here we are 6 days in and I'm happy to report the only thing I've lost is the cap to our toothpaste. I am unhappy to report, however, there's toothpaste all over everything.

Tomorrow we board the ship, so internet is going to be pretty spotty for me. I'll be sure to blog (because I know y'all are oh so entertained by it) but I might have to keep them on my computer and post multiple whenever I get access. I'm going to try and upload some pictures to the last two blogs and get some shut eye. Bags have to be out at 5:45- that's AM people!

No comments:

Post a Comment