Thursday, June 4, 2020

Social Distancing Journal, Day 82 & 83

I don't even know what to write about from the last couple days. I'm not sure anything crazy happened, but at the same time I'm sure it did. Things are becoming a blur. 

At least in Tampa, the violence has seemed to taper off. Still plenty of peaceful protesters, and sans for a few times they tried to get to the expressway, I think things have been ok. Calib went for a run the other night, just as it was getting dark, and I thought to myself "that's your white privileged", because running at night isn't seen as anything but safe for him. To be honest, that thought hadn't ever crossed my mind until recently. I mean, I know I have white privileged. I just haven't stopped to look at specific things to think 'this is one of those things'. 

Around the US, there are some impressive peaceful protests. Boise, Idaho had a huge rally at the state house. Boise, Idaho, people! People in New Orleans were chanting eff Drew Brees last night, because he said he would never agree with anyone disrespecting our country, or flag, or whatever. But, that obviously didn't go over well. Former Secretary of Defense Mattis, came out talking about how Trump was a threat to our democracy, so that was new. And perennial 'not sure if I'm voting with Republicans', then ultimately votes with Republicans- Senator Susan Collins says she's not sure she will support Trump for president. 

Oh, and Trump said he would find a new place to host the Republican Convention, because if he can't have a full stadium of people not wearing masks, he's going somewhere else. I'll be shocked if it isn't Florida. Because, Florida. 

Speaking of Florida, yesterday we reported a whopping 1,300 cases. The most since mid-April. But wait, then today we reported 1,419 the most since... well, ever. But no worries, we're moving to Phase Two tomorrow. Bars can open! Movie theaters! Bowling Alleys! (But wait, we've had several bowling alleys already open.. so there's that). Also those capacity restrictions are out the windows? Fill up the gyms, the retail stores! 

Here's my issue: Isn't the point of opening things in phases to wait and see how the virus responds to each step? To see if cases spike and where and when? It seems like we're at a spot where maybe we should take a pause, and leave things in effect the way they are to make sure the cases don't spike so much things get out of control again. But, it seems like we rush through these steps without realizing WHY we're taking steps to being with. Just for an example, our pool was taking temperatures and reservations for like a week and a half, what does that do? You can't tell what kind of effect that is having for several weeks. That's like the state of Florida, we're not waiting enough time. 

Also, you guys, I've been on the Trump email list since we went to that rally, but lately there has been some really off the rails ones. Today I got some clearly biased survey. 

Peyton told me to fill it out with all the "wrong" answers, so I did. 


Meanwhile, we're still here, at home. We have plans for leaving the house for anniversary week, but other than that it's become a free for all. In the meantime, I wake up to things like Peyton frantically cleaning the stove. So, basically life is weird. 


Yesterday, we brought back Coronavirus Walking Bingo. 


We took a lap around the loop and got bingo. 


I also spent a lot of my day working on various masks to see what I could do that wouldn't be so irritable on my skin. I cut up one of my cooling shirts, and I have high hopes for that one (I actually made two out of it, and a neck gaiter. Plus I made some elastic extenders to help with ear irritation. 


Today it's been pretty rainy, which I think may be a theme for the weekend, depending on what that tropical storm in gulf does. The storm itself won't come here, but I heard we could get dumped on. We'll see. You know those storms, they are ever changing. 

But, we have dodge the rain pretty well. I took Ellie for a walk this morning. 


And we've only been sprinkled on a little bit when we walked over to let Huck and Murphy out. Today was the last day we were watching them. We'll miss their slobbery snuggles. 

On the way back, we found this guy rather enjoying the wet weather. 


We are also house sitting for another set of neighbors. There we have a hamster and a pool to attend to. They told us to use the pool as much as we want, so we're happy to take them up on the offer! 


It wasn't super warm today, but we wanted to take advantage of the opportunity. It's a lovely pool. 


And then it started raining again. There's no better way to spend a rainy day than in the blanket fort. Check out Ellie all tucked in comfy there! 

Most popular "hurricane snacks": We had a Costco "Staples" order today. But I did get one special item: Drumstick Ice Cream! 

Current binge watching obsession: Three episodes of Space Force left. 

Most popular game: Civ. I'm sure Hayden is just waiting for my laptop to resume his game with Asa. 

Boredness scale 1 to 10: 4. Not too bad today. A little bored this evening. 

Frozen II Watchthroughs: 45. Once yesterday, and it's just finishing up right now!

How many times we've walked the loop: 65. We'll see how much walking we can do this weekend with the rain. 

Days Down: 83. 

Days Remaining: Undetermined. 


No comments:

Post a Comment