Thursday, June 25, 2020

Social Distancing Journal, Days 103 & 104

So, you guys. Florida has added more than 10,000 cases in the last TWO DAYS. Yesterday, my county added a tenth of their cases. YESTERDAY. A TENTH. IN ONE DAY. So, in case you were wondering how things were going here. There's that. 

I'm waiting for us to do something, anything to help slow the spread. The mask orders should help, some, right? If people listen to them. I'm paranoid about going out again though. I know I'm doing only low risk activities, but still. I want to wait and see how this all pans out. That is a lot of cases. (And not just because of more testing, I think we all know that by now) The positivity rate in Tampa yesterday was like 20%- That's bad. People are reporting long waits at the drive up test sites around here. And I'm getting so desensitized, today I was like "only 5,000 cases. That's not as bad as it was". But a week ago 5,000 cases would have been unheard of. It's just not the 5,500 from yesterday. There's 114,000 cases in Florida now. We've added more in June than March, April and May combined (though I'm sure that's from lack of testing early). 

Disney is supposed to open in two weeks to passholders. Tomorrow passholders can make their park reservations. Orange county says they have no plans to change that. But, over in California the opening for Disneyland has been delayed. My mom just sent me an email that Cedar Point won't be opening their water park this year- and the park is open something like July 9- September 7. Some stores, bars, and restaurants are closing again here- but only once employees test positive. Apple Stores are closing again in South Florida. Still no word on Flying Squirrel for a start date for Calib and Peyton, which makes me slightly relieved. 

What confuses me is the lack of messaging. So, it's been hot- like hotter than hot- here the last few days. We've had heat advisories and everyone is like 'make sure to spend time indoors in the AC', and I'm like 'I hope they mean our houses- because we should not be gathering inside!' But, while my Twitter is full of people saying to wear masks, and stay home- I also have tons of places telling me to come on out. And not just like, hey were open- no, people are holding EVENTS. What is that? 

I mean, I get it. This sucks. The heat, the summer, the pandemic. But, like why can't we just commit to a strategy to mitigate this? I knew the summer would be tough. But this heat makes it worse. I don't even want to go on my walks around the loop. It should be over after the weekend, and be more normal hot instead of crazy hot. (Oh, and we're having hazy weather thanks to a dust storm in the Sahara- what is even happening these days?!) 


In the meantime, we're staying home. I'm coming up with projects at home. I framed our puzzles and put them on the wall in our room. I really feel like our room is extra cozy these days. 


We "put together" the new lawn mower. It was mostly just adding the shoot on the back. 


And then I power washed the driveway. This was out of boredom, but also because we got an HOA letter to fix the "discolored" driveway. I literally never power wash the driveway until they tell me to. 



And we've spent lots of time at the pool. 
Yesterday we had a cookout and then played some Emoji ball to beat the heat. 


I've been trying to walk Ellie early before it gets too hot. This morning at 9, it was already nearing 90, with a heat index well above that. So, we just went to the park and back. 


When Asa and I were at Disney a week ago Tuesday we did buy a puzzle- or rather four puzzles in one box. They're only 500 pieces, so we did this one in a day pretty easily. I do, however feel like the most common phrase in quarantine is "Do you think this piece goes here?", followed closely by "Why doesn't this piece go here?"  I also feel like we're going to need more puzzles to get through the summer. 


Hayden, Asa and I also hit the pool for about an hour this afternoon. 


And now we've spent the evening in the blanket fort watching some Disney Plus. (We are counting down to Hamilton on July 3rd!)  Dipper has found a new favorite place, he likes to hide in the corner of the blanket fort, where nobody bothers him. 


 Most popular "hurricane snacks": We got Panera grocery today again, so everyone was excited about that. Less snacks, more lunch- but also we joined the free coffee club to get free coffee from now until September! 

Current binge watching obsession: Westworld, and we're still working on Ben's season of the Bachelor. It's three hours long. That's too much for one evening. 

Most popular game: NCAA is causing some serious rift between Asa and Calib right now. 

Boredness scale 1 to 10: 5. I get bored and cranky in the morning, until I realize I need to find something to do to stay busy- even if that's boring chores. 

Frozen II Watchthroughs: We're stuck at 49 because we want to do something for the 50th watch thru, but don't know what to do. 

How many times we've walked the loop: Still 68. This is on hold, thanks to the heat. 

Days Down: 104

Days Remaining: Undetermined




No comments:

Post a Comment