Monday, June 23, 2014

Happy Hobbit Day!

Happy Hobbit Day, Everyone! Yes, apparently there's some day in September that's actually Hobbit Day, but I invented the holiday in our house before I even knew about it. After my dad died, we called father's day 'Asa day', but then Asa said if he could have any day, he'd have Hobbit Day. Since then, I've made it happen. Now, I know father's day was last Sunday, but Asa was working so he didn't  have to take one for our anniversary and could save a vacation day to use for Ohio. This was the first available day since then that he's had off and we didn't have something planned we couldn't move. So, today we celebrated. 

What exactly is Hobbit Day? (For all you non-Hobbit loving people out there) Well, it's basically where Asa gets to live like a Hobbit, by eating like one. Hobbits have many small meals through-out the day. The most famous of them all being Second Breakfast. Either way, I come up with a plan and some recipes, and I end up cooking most of the day while the boys watch the Hobbit, or the Lord of the Rings, or something I wouldn't want to watch anyway. (Today was the Hobbit, in case you were wondering)

I had planned the menu out a couple weeks ago, and it was in my file folder for this week. Yes, I have file folders for every single week this summer. I taped it on the front of the microwave to keep track of what meal was when. 


First breakfast was a grilled strawberry short cake with lemon creme. It fits, because as you'll see, Hobbits LOVE their cakes, and berries. It's super easy to do, which is why it's become a staple for first breakfast on Hobbit Day, so I don't have to get up super early. But, I always bring Asa first breakfast in bed, because, well, if I didn't he'd sleep right through it. 


For second breakfast we had Toad in the Hole, Sausage and Bacon. (Hobbits like their breakfast meats)


Elevensies was served right on time (at 11:00, obviously). It's my least favorite (it doesn't have a ton of taste to it), but Lembas Bread is a requirement of Hobbit Day. It's Elven Bread, and it's the equivalent of a whole meal. It's why they took it on the journey, obviously (Asa just told me all that-- I have no idea, I was asked to make it so I googled it.) 


Time out for a picture of the boys all being lazy and watching the Hobbit, while I cooked. 


I had lots of baking to do, which if you know, I am not a good baker (at all), but to my surprise I didn't burn anything today (myself included!) I even did a really good job with halving and even fourth-ing some of the recipes. I didn't want to have too many leftovers. We only have Lembas bread, and half the cake back there left. 


Lunch comes after elevensies, and is the biggest meal of the day. It's usually served with greens and berries, as Hobbits like to garden. I also made a SAMwhich (a nod to the Hobbit, Sam) which was really just a fancy grilled cheese with grilled onions and mushrooms, bacon, and fresh mozzarella. It was Asa's favorite. 


Of course you can't have lunch without Afters- these are honey cakes topped with a dollop of whipped cream and cinnamon. (They were my favorite, I think). 


I baked them from scratch. I even had to separate eggs, and whip the whites up. I can't believe it wasn't an utter failure. 


Afternoon Tea was up next, and as I told you, Hobbits enjoy their cakes. So to go along with our tea, we had seed cake.  It was more of a bread consistency (most of it was, nothing really had a lot of sugar in it) I topped it with a homemade drizzle of powdered sugar, with a little lemon and some water to thin it out. Topped with some raspberries, and it ended up being another success. Peyton labeled the seed cake his favorite. 


Next up was a Supper of Bilbo's Bangers and Mash. I actually might make this again. Despite the picture, it was all pretty small portions. I had people asking for more after it was all gone. It was just a mashed potato, topped with smoked sausage in onion, pepper, and tomato sauce. I was surprised how well it went over. Calib said it was probably his favorite. 


And after supper, you have to have afters. I made Hobbit Hand Pies. Except, I took the recipe and said, forget it- I'll do that thing I see on Pinterest where they use the crescent rolls, and roll up some apples that have been tossed in a little cinnamon sugar and call it a day. 


It worked out so well, too. I topped them with a bit of whipped cream, and it was like a mini pie that you can't screw up and took hardly any effort. 


Last year Asa was the only one who made it to the last meal of the day: Dinner (yes, Hobbits eat dinner and supper). This year we all sort of made it, although Asa and I were the only ones who had a small bowl of mushroom soup. The boys just had the crusty bread and raspberries. 


Even though it was small helpings through out the day, I'm totally stuffed. But, I'm married to one Happy Hobbit, and it's worth a whole day of cooking him Hobbit foods, and pretending I know anything about them and the Lord of the Rings to make him happy. 


A couple of other things worth noting: I got my awesome cereal mugs from Amazon today. These puppies cost me $2 for all 4! I love them. Especially because I never have enough bowls on hand. 


I also tasked the boys with helping me get ready for some stuff going on later this week, for our Reality Show them week. 


I bet some of you can guess what game these will be used for. 


Oh, and tonight Dipper is sleeping in Hayden and Peyton's room for the first time. Dipper and Maybel are getting along well (they are even playing together!), and I couldn't wait to get him out of sleeping in our room. I love this kitten, but I am *slightly* allergic to him, and it doesn't help he insists on sleeping right by my face. So much so, if I turn my head to the other side of the pillow, he'll get up and move. Not cool, Dipper, not cool. So here's hoping things go well, and I'm done having him sleep in here. 


Next Up: Back to our Reality Show Theme Week with Master Chef Day!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment