Friday, June 13, 2014

Welcome to the 1970's!


First tonight, I want to send a great big shout out to Hayden who has been a total trooper taking his eardrops all week with no problem at all. Tomorrow will be his last dose! I remember HATING ear drops as a child, and I thought it was going to be fight, so I am pleasantly surprised. 


It was another dreary day here. I woke up this morning with Pork Chop outside my bedroom door crying and whining and scratching to get in. It was thundering, and Calib had gotten sick of him, so he shut poor scared Porkchop out of his room, and so I had to deal with it. We don't get many all day rainy days, but it seems like we've had quite a few of them lately. Boo. 


After getting some things done this morning, and a nice grilled cheese lunch, we started learning about the 1970's. First we talked about Watergate, and Nixon. Hayden had a coloring page (he added what he called were monuments-  while I said the statue of liberty, Mount Rushmore, and the Lincoln memorial were all legit, the pyramids didn't really fit). Calib and Peyton had a worksheet packet all about the event, complete with word scrambles at the end that they rather enjoyed. 


Then we made rock pets! 


I knew Hayden was going to want to make a whole family of them, and I was right. Peyton eventually painted his, but Hayden got really into it, making four. 


Another contribution of the 70's: Star Wars! We made light sabers out of pool noodles. 


The boys had a great time playing with these, and they don't even hurt when you get hit with them. 



Then it was time for an activity I've been super excited about: Tie Dying!! I knew I didn't want to go through the whole normal tie dying process, so I had planned on doing a play on tie dying with making 'tie dyed' cupcakes, but I found a cool, easy tie dying kit for $7 when I was out and about last week. 


The boys were really excited about it too, and they got to work. 


We had to wrap them up, and leave them like that for four hours. 


Meanwhile, we checked on our jello mold. Unfortunately, it didn't turn out all that well. Hayden thought it looked funny, but I told him to make a sad face since it didn't turn out- this is what I got. 


For dinner, I made a homemade hamburger helper. It first debuted in 1971, in case you were wondering. Calib told me about 3:30 today he was starving, and asked me to make a lot of dinner, because he was going to have seconds. 


We were all sitting at the table getting ready to start another projects when Phenom walked up to us totally drenched. Earlier, Peyton had spilled dog food into their water. Phenom tried to retrieve it. Bobbing for dog food, silly puppy. 


The first Earth Day was celebrated on April 22, 1970. As a nod to that, we made coffee filter earths, and Hayden added hands so it was like he was holding it. 


Eventually, the boys discovered Asa hadn't seen their light sabers, so they had to show him, and beat him with them. 


I made a trip out to Target tonight. Here's what $1.40 bought us today. 


We unwrapped our shirts and I rinsed them out per the directions. 


Hayden and Peyton liked theirs, but Calib was really excited with how his came out. 


I think they're all pretty cool. 


However, I may have blue Smurf hands until the end of time. I am excited to see them when they get out of the dryer. They're currently in the washer. 


The movie tonight: Superman! When we started it, Hayden was all "Wait. I don't think this is Man of Steel". 


1970's is up and on the board! It was a favorite since 1930's day (They still talk about the Prohibition Cocktails!) 


Next Up: We have a mini 1980's day, with lots of other things going on. 


No comments:

Post a Comment