Thursday, June 12, 2014

Swimming, Plate Painting and the 1960's!

We've been moving a long with decades week, despite the unexpected awesomeness and other fun activities we've had scheduled for this week. It's making for some very full days. Today was another day off for Asa (after working 5 days in a row, he now only has to work 2 days out of the next nine!), so we ran some errands this morning, we went to the bank and went out clothes shopping. Because oh my gosh has it been FOREVER since Asa or I have gotten any new clothes. 

But, we still had decades to celebrate- and today was 1960's day. A lot of the 70's and 60's activities, I feel like I could have done either day. But, I am super excited for some of the stuff I planned for tomorrow. Today, however, we did a nod to the Beatles and made little yellow submarines. 



The boys also learned about Andy Warhol, and his famous Campbell Soup Cans. We even colored our own! 




Super exciting news of the day: Hayden can swim again, and the weather cooperated with us. 



Peyton is my little fish! 


Oh, and here's our Campbell soup cans all put together. We think they look super fun. 


I was looking forward to this dinner the most: We had fondue! We're lacking a fondue pot, but my tri-mini slow cooker does the job. Asa made the cheese, and I did two kinds of chocolate: peanutbutter and dark. The kids loved dinner tonight! 



Then it was off to the Safety Harbor Library for a special project we had signed up for weeks ago (so it actually didn't have anything to do with decades week)- plate painting! For $5 the boys all got to paint a plate, we can pick it up next Friday after they fire it. 



Had I realized it was for adults and kids, I would have signed up Asa and myself as well, but we sat this one out and watched the kids paint their plates. 


But the boys did a great job, and I'm excited to see what they look like when they're all done. 






When we got home, we studied the phases of the moon while using oreo cookies, and discussed a big event of the 1960's-- Neil Armstrong walking on the moon! 


We also talked about the JFK assassination (and earlier we discussed the March on Washington) getting in some big historical events of the sixties. To go along with JFK, the boys all took one of those cute little online quizzes called 'which president are you?' They were way more into this than I thought they would be. 

Calib actually got JFK. 


Peyton is Woodrow Wilson. 


Hayden got Ronald Reagan. 


I was George Washington! 


And then the boys insisted that Asa take the quiz too. 


He got a very popular president in our house: Ulysses Simpson Grant! 


In case you're wondering why the short, not too detailed blog, it's because we're currently watching out 1960's movie: The Jungle Book. I'm trying to multi-task so Asa and I can hang out after the movie. I'm a little bummed he has to go to work tomorrow.


That's it for our 1960's day. 


Up Next:  I'm super excited for 1970's Day! See ya'll tomorrow! 

No comments:

Post a Comment