Tuesday, June 10, 2014

It's 1940's Day!


Welcome to the 1940's! I must admit, out of all the decades, I was least excited for this one. I mean, the 40's were all about WWII, and trying to make that into fun hands on projects for boys between 8 and 14 was not a super easy task. 

I did decide we would use Ration Books for the day. In the 1940's, the government issued these, and you could only buy certain amounts of meat, dairy, ect. I didn't want to get that detailed with it, and we were only using them for a day, so they have a stamp each for breakfast, lunch, a mid-afternoon snack, dinner, and a bedtime snack. This is what they usually get anyway, but they were all totally paranoid about losing their books, because I told them if they lost them, they wouldn't get to eat (and I think they ACTUALLY believed me, like I would just let them starve!) 


I did find some relatively fun worksheets that Peyton and Calib worked on this morning, and Hayden read, plus we used PBS.com for a couple of short videos. Peyton's my history buff, so he was googling away. I must admit I haven't really tackled world history (next year is the plan), with them, and so I don't know a whole lot about it, so when I don't know, Peyton googles. 


I had also come across a WWII word search. We discussed all of the things in the search, and what/who they were and how they related to the war. I had planned on giving the boys 5 minutes to see how many they could find, but they made me re-est the timer three times until they had found most of them. 


We celebrated finding all the word search words with penny candy. Penny candy was popular really anytime before the 60's, when it started to fade because of inflation and mom and pop shops closing. We had tootsie rolls, lemon drops, and smarties. 


Also, making a debut in the 1940's was Bubbles! Of course, bubbles themselves aren't from the 40's.. but the little bottles of them with the sticks marketed for kids, those are straight out of the 40's. We mixed our own bubbles (using light corn syrup, water, and dish soap). I also took a couple of things from pinterest, and we tried some bubble variations. 


We used yarn and cut up straws to make one giant bubble blower. 


And a bunch of straws to make a whole bunch of bubbles at once! We tried the colored bubbles to 'paint' a picture, but it didn't seem to work at all. 


The boys were ok with that though, they had a good time playing with the yarn and the straw bubble blower. 


Hayden stayed out to play with the bubbles the longest. But, Calib and Peyton were more entertained with it than I thought they would be. It was SUPER hot and humid out today though, and we can't go to the pool until tomorrow under doctors orders. This is the time of year us Floridians pay our dues for having such awesome weather the rest of the year. You know, we have summer, and now it's summer-er, and pretty soon it's going to be summer-est. 


Another 1940's contribution: Candyland. The boys all happily played a few rounds of it. They did make us restart when on the first draw, I got the cinnamon bun, which takes you to the very top. But otherwise, everyone was pretty good sports. 


Calib used his snack ration on one of the snickers ice cream bars. 


And while I finished folding all the sheets and blankets from the blanket fort, Hayden wanted to make another paper airplane like we made yesterday. 


We had to have an early dinner, because Calib has a Teen Advisory Board meeting and volunteering orientation at the library tonight, plus a summer reading event. He'll be there until 8. I wasn't crazy about our Wartime Stew, but nobody had any big complaints about it. I am much more excited for 50's and 60's dinner. 


Our intention is to watch Fantasia this evening, but Calib won't be home until 8, and Peyton plays a game online competitively and has a match tonight too, so we'll see. 


Overall, I didn't find the 1940's too exciting, but I didn't want to start at the 50's, because I wanted to get in the 30's.. I mean did you see all the fun we had yesterday? 

I also need to shout out to my awesome husband who I met ELEVEN years ago today. Thanks to Cedar Point and their contract system for us even knowing the date. There are hardly any Sneak Peekers I remember meeting, but he's one of them.  

Next Up: We move on to the 1950's! 


No comments:

Post a Comment