Saturday, July 5, 2014

Bug Houses & Blueberry Pies

Saturdays are always kind of weird around here, especially since Asa changed his schedule and always works them. But, today is especially strange. It's just before six here, and Asa is 'napping' for the next 5 hours so so (funny how we call it a nap, when he slept about 5 hours last night), while the boys play their video games and Netflix gorge in an effort to keep the house quiet. Because of him volunteering to work the holiday, and getting the shift he got, and because he refuses to go a whole week in the office (which since he works 10's.. is only four days), his work schedule this weekend is insanity. Yesterday he worked from 2:15 pm- until 12:45 in this morning. He got back up this morning and worked his normal shift: 6 am to 4:30pm. As if that isn't crazy enough, he's working an overnight tonight. He will clock back in at midnight and work until 10:30 am tomorrow morning. Crazy, crazy boy. But, it's lots of overtime, and he only has to be in the office three days next week. 

In an effort to curb all that for the boys (they do have to be quiet when Asa works from home), I try and keep them busy. We all got up early this morning and went out to Home Depot's kid's workshop. 


Today they were building bug houses! 


The boys did this with very minimal help from me. I just helped secure the screen, and that was it. The rest was all them, right down to following their directions on their own. 


You could also paint your bug houses. I asked them before they put on the screen if they wanted to paint them, and they said no. When they were finished, I told Hayden maybe he should go paint an H on his, so we knew whose was whose. Of course, then he wanted to paint the whole thing. 


As did Peyton, the whole thing would have been easier if they did it when I asked them about it, but you know, it's their bug houses. Not a big deal, I suppose. 


After the Home Depot Workshop, we headed up to Wiregrass. We just discovered every Saturday this summer the Williams Sonoma are offering free kids cooking classes. More informative than hands-on (though the girl we had was great at getting the kids involved), it overall was a good experience for the boys. 


When the class is over, you even get to taste-test. Today they made blueberry hand pies. They were yummy! 


Since we were already at Wiregrass, we decided we might as well wander around the Fresh Market, since we haven't been in a long while. 


I sprang for a snow cone, too. 


We picked out some produce. 


Peyton and Asa found a recipe for Ratatouille, and Peyton really wanted to pick out some squash and eggplant for it. What they didn't know is I already had the recipe in my file folder for Disney in two weeks, so I did have to tell him we needed to hold off. (I'm not sure if anyone wants Ratatouille twice in two weeks) 


We picked up some kettle corn as a treat to bring home, too. But it started sprinkling and we decided we should head home. It spent the rest of the day raining off and on. (It's a good thing we wrapped up beach and water week yesterday, because today was NOT an outside day). 


I figured the boys had a busy morning and needed to unwind, so I took the opportunity to work on some things. The second half of the summer is all planned and done. 


Then I started getting set up for game week. Tomorrow is going to be Jeopardy day, so I wanted to get it all put together today. You might remember we used to play Math Jeopardy every Monday (ages ago, it was when Peyton was in public school and we were trying to help him with his math), and I thought I still had the board I made laying around somewhere. A quick look turned up nothing though, and I decided I could probably just use the board to make it. 


Now, you might be wondering how I make it fair with three boys of varying ages. Well, each kid has their own question for every dollar amount and category. It's color coded so we know whose is whose. It's all up and ready to go. The boys are thrilled game week is almost here. It's when they really rack in the points. 


When I was done, I got all the laundry folded (it was like a million loads today), and Asa made us a Mediterranean chicken salad for dinner. I cut up some fruit, and put some rolls in the oven to round it out. It was delicious. 


That's it from here today. I'm going to see if the boys want to watch some Master Chef, and keep working on putting all the games together for this week. Asa set his alarm for 10:45 so we could hang out for a little before he has to clock in. 

Not sure how much I'll blog this week. All we have planned is some school work and the nightly game, might not be worth an every night kind of thing, but we'll see. 

Next Up: This.  is.  Jeopardy! 


No comments:

Post a Comment