Wednesday, July 2, 2014

Happy 12th Birthday, Peyton!

We interrupt beach and water week to bring you: PEYTON'S BIRTHDAY! Somehow 12 years has passed, and we can now start the countdown to having two teenagers in the Waterstraut household. How crazy is that? I would tell all my friends who have little ones to enjoy their time, but you know, I've loved every age. I've actually enjoyed them more as they get older. (I'm not so much a baby person, it's a wonder I made it through three of them!) Sometimes, it's really hard to remember that I had a two year old and a newborn at the same time. I really must have been crazy. 

So today we celebrate Peyton. He requested to be woken up early, so we could hit the pool before we even went out for the day. Hayden woke up first and all on his own, made a birthday card for Peyton, that he gave to them over their morning Cheerio's. It was really very cute. 


A little after nine and hardly a cloud in the sky, we had the pool all to ourselves. Thank goodness the weather has held out today, with that tropical storm or hurricane or whatever it is just off the east coast of Florida, today could have been rather dreary. 


This is how you celebrate being 12. We had plenty of room to throw the football, they did lots of fancy tricks, and didn't have to worry about bothering other people- because for the most part (except for some really little kids in the shallow end) we were the only one's there. 



A nice morning for a birthday swim! 


After the pool we came home and changed, and then headed out to the bowling alley. We got there a little before open and they let us in, but the lanes weren't ready yet, so we played some air hockey to pass the time. 


We used the boys free bowling summer cards. When I got them a few weeks ago, I had to register them online. It made me put their birthdays AND an anniversary, which I thought was silly since they're kids. Instead of an anniversary, I just put their birthdays again. Apparently, all that had a purpose, as Pin Chasers loads $10 on to your card for birthdays AND anniversaries. So, Peytons $20 on his card covered the games for me and Asa, and a pitcher of pop for the boys. 


Calib was all excited we let him put in everyone's names, and if they wanted bumpers. Peyton and Calib opted not to use bumpers, while the rest of us have no shame. 

Peyton went first, and on his very first bowl got a strike, without any bumpers! 


He was pretty excited. (And I was too, because I had my camera out so I caught his reaction)


Proof of his strike (And notice the birthday theme scorecard). 





When we were done, Hayden was designated shoe boy. 


Then we headed up the Suncoast to Citrus Park for Peytons lunch of choice: Red Robin! 


I even let them order shakes! They were so spoiled today. 


Peyton got the Royal Red Robin Burger. That boy and eggs. He's a fan. 


Hayden had a grilled cheese and a salad. 


Calib also got the Royal Red Robin and proceeded to get his egg all over himself. After forever of waiting for him to smile for a picture, I just took this one. He wasn't very pleased. 


Eventually we got a good one, though. 


We had gotten an email yesterday that there was a free dessert on our rewards card, so even though we were all stuffed, we had to order something! (It expires in just a few days, so it wasn't like we were going again)


After lunch, it was off to the movies. We hardly ever go, as it's so expensive for the five of us. But, it was a special occasion today, and Peyton had been wanting to see How to Train Your Dragon 2. It was a good movie, and while I don't ever do 3D (you know, motion sickness and all), I think this one would have been even better in 3D, and worth the extra money. 

Oh, and frugal side note: 12 and up is considered an adult ticket, and costs more at the theater, so Peyton still ended up with a kids ticket. I rationalized this because he was born at 5:30-something, and it wasn't even 2. So, technically, he wasn't 12 yet. 


After the movie we headed over to glow golf for a couple of rounds. 


(Calib's shirt was extra glowy)




Eventually, though my kids had to come up with a new mini golf game. Everyone went at the same time, and one person was the 'goalie' trying to prevent the other people's balls from going in. Why we can't just play games like normal people, I don't know. But, I guess at least I have boys with imaginations! 


After glow golf, it was time to come home for birthday presents. Really, we had planned on getting Peyton a WiiU, it's what he really wanted. But, we got that with our windfall a few weeks ago. So he got some little odds and ends. 


He was pretty excited about all the new stuff for his bed. He's been complaining that we all got new bedding (and new mattresses) at tax return time, and he didn't have anything. So I got him the softest sheets in the world, a body pillow, and a super soft cover like the one I have that he's been totally jealous about. 


He was most excited about his new WiiU game though. 


Although, as soon as we made his bed, he had to try it out. He's going to sleep good tonight! 


Then it was time for some games. I even played, though I was terrible. 


Remember way back when, during the end of the NFL season when we made the NFL pizzas for the AFC and NFC Championship Games? (I need to learn how to make those things links back to old blogs, though that seems like a lot of work) Well, Peyton LOVED the Denver Bronco's pizza, and not just because it was Broncos. It was basically just a Pesto Pizza with steak on it. He asked specifically for that. Since I had two pizza crusts, I asked if he wanted anything different for the other one, and he asked for the cheese bread I make, and a BBQ one. Of course I obliged. Then I made everyone some salad, and cut up some strawberries. 


The pizza was awesome, though I did leave out the blue cheese this time around. 


We did all go around the table and talk about our favorite things about Peyton and our favorite parts of the day. His brother's mostly agreed he was pretty generous with them, and he shares a lot. Asa talked about how thoughtful and caring Peyton is (to not just people, but animals) and I pointed out I love how inquisitive he is about things, and he tells me all kinds of things I didn't know. 

All that mushy stuff, but trying to get nice pictures seems impossible these days. 


Case and point. 


I also brought out some baby boxes today. I told Calib he should hold up the shirt he was wearing when Peyton was born. He insisted on trying to put it on. So, Peyton had to put on his baby hat from the hospital. 


Then they continued to re-enact baby Peyton. Oh, boys. 


After showers, it was birthday cake time. We did skype my mom so she could sing Happy Birthday, too. But we couldn't get a picture. 


I did pick up another pack of candles today, so Peyton did have all twelve. 



And he was pretty proud of himself for blowing them all out on the first try. 


Here's a look at the inside of his ice cream sandwich cake. 


Peyton has an online match with his friends tonight for a game he plays competitively, it was funny hearing him tell them all about his day and his presents. When that's over, I hear there might be a hide n go seek in the dark event planned. 


Overall, it was a total birthday success. As Peyton says, nothing will ever top his 9th birthday when we was on a cruise ship in Alaska at the Hubbard Glacier climbing to the top of the rock climbing wall and having unlimited ice cream. But, this one was pretty good too. 

Next Up: It's Disney Fireworks Day! 



No comments:

Post a Comment