Tuesday, July 1, 2014

Goodbye, Eleven!

Happy July everyone! Can you believe it? The year is FLYING by. 
Today was a really busy day, and tomorrow will be more of the same as it's Peyton's Birthday!! 
 Last night, I told the boys about the $1 movie at the theater. Hayden was the only one up for it. They were showing the Lego movie- I think some others might peak Calib and Peyton's interest a little more. (Although, not much peaks Calib's interest if he has to get up before 11 AM). Hayden then announced "it'll be good just you and me mom, we never get to spend any time together." Because, you know, I don't spend everyday all day with the boys- doing school and theme activities, eating every meal at the table with them- and then playing board games, card games, video games or watching something with them in the evening. I love them, but lately it seems like they can't get enough of hanging out with me and Asa. It'll be 9pm- and we will have spent every waking moment with them, and they are still like "what do you guys want to do now?" I remind myself daily it won't always be like this, so I soak in every minute, but I sure could use a date night soon. 

The Lego Movie was fun. I hadn't seen it, Asa had taken the boys before, so Hayden had. Hopefully we'll catch a couple more $1 movies before the summer is up. 

When we got home, we had BLT's for lunch, and then got to work on some school work. Peyton did all of his flags for the first time in a couple weeks, and did a fabulous job on them. I told him I thought he would have forgotten some, he said they're burned into memory, and he can't even think of most countries without thinking of the capital. 


After some school work, Peyton and Hayden helped me construct Peyton's birthday cake by unwrapping ice cream sandwiches. I always need help with this, because it's so hot-- and they get melty faster than I can unwrap all the ones I need. Peyton isn't a fan of cake. A couple of years ago I came up with this alternative. 


It's a three layer ice cream sandwich cake, with chopped up candy (this year it was twix) between the layers along with cool whip frosting, and then it's frosted on the outside with whipped cream too. I put the candles in before it goes back into the freezer, so I don't have to wait until it thaws a little to put the candles in just before we sing happy birthday. Except, I had a parental fail today. I have ALWAYS bought one package of candles for Calib's birthday, and then had enough for Peyton's birthday. Of course, candles come in packs of 24. So, last year when Calib was 13 and Peyton was 11 was the last year that worked. Calib used up 14 for his birthday this year, and so I only had 10 left. I have to pick up some more before 'cake' tomorrow. 


We hadn't dropped our Plinko chips in awhile, so we got to that. The boys also all recorded the last couple of books they read for the summer reading program at the library. Plus, it's a new month, so coupons reset, and I worked on getting some of those together. Lot's of things checked off our to-do list. 


But, it is still Beach and Water Week, so I set up the activity for the day: A water obstacle course. First they had to bob for strawberries, retrieving three of them. 


Then they had to swing the racket and hit the beach ball. 


We used buckets and my big canning pot for them to trek through like tires. 


They then had to make their way over the pool noodles, and slide along the re-filled water slip n slide (it doesn't work AS well the second time around, but it did surprise me that it worked at all.) 


Lastly, they had to jump in the pool, 


and sit on a balloon to get it to pop. 


Peyton was up first. 


He completed the whole thing in 33 seconds. 


Hayden had some trouble bobbing for strawberries. 


It took him almost two minutes to complete the course. 


Calib flew through the course in 27 seconds, but there was a debate of how many strawberries he actually bobbed for. 


Then Asa took a break, and tried his hand at it. He lost his glasses bobbing for strawberries, and his feet didn't quite fit in the buckets though, and it took him 44 seconds. 


When we were done, I pulled out some more water balloons I had found while gathering supplies, and the boys played water baseball with them, and monkey in the middle. 


Then they took turns trying to catch water balloons I threw in their buckets. 


I was happy they had a good time playing outside again today, they were only outside for about an hour, but we got to it much later in the day than we did yesterday. 


My camera's batteries died, and I wanted to let them charge as long as I could, because tomorrow I'll certainly want my camera, so I don't have any more pictures for the day. 

Asa made a nice dinner with noodles, then we headed out. We had to make a stop at the bank to open Peyton a bank account. Our bank has a new policy that you have to have an account to cash a check, and he got one for his birthday. It was a total pain, and took forever, but we got it done, and hopefully it won't be a problem in the future. 

Then it was off to the library. The boys all finished books today, and needed some new ones. It was also the teen summer reading program, with an ice cream party and a movie. 

We tried to hit the pool after that, but a thunderstorm thwarted our plans. So, we ended up back at home, cleaned up for twenty minutes, and now we're watching a Once Upon A Time episode. 

Tomorrow we have a full day, planned out by Peyton (with a little help from me)

Next Up: A TWELVE year old Peyton! 

No comments:

Post a Comment