Wednesday, July 16, 2014

The Happiest Place on Earth

It was quite the dreary, stormy, rainy day here today.  It left me feeling rather blah today, but I powered through to get some things prepped for the day before the boys even got up. Usually I do this farther ahead of time, but some things just keep getting pushed further and further down the to-do list. 

Today we celebrated Disney Parks! Not by going to a park (that's for tomorrow, weather permitting- I hear tomorrow might be more of the same, yuck!), but by bringing the parks to us. 

What better way to do that, than by finding hidden Mickey's all over the house! I laminated some Mickey's and rewarded a point for each Mickey found. 


I had grabbed a couple of extra maps last time we were at the Magic Kingdom. 



I cut them up, along with some felt for our project this afternoon. 


I also gathered up a lot of the famous Disney buttons, took the pin off the back and cut some cardboard circles to fit in the back. (All of these projects will make sense soon enough!) 



I opened the door to get the mail, and I was greeted by several snails. They didn't seem to be minding the weather at all. 


There were a lot more of them (I know you can't really see them in the picture), but of course Peyton and Hayden had to come watch them for awhile. 


After lunch, we got to working on our projects. They were pretty easy today, especially with the prep work I had done. 

First up was making Disney coasters from the Magic Kingdom maps. The boys each took a tile (that I got for 9 cents a piece at Lowe's last Saturday), a piece of the map I had cut to the right size, and a piece of felt. All you have to do is modge podge (with homemade watered-down glue) the maps on to the tiles and smooth out. 


We attached the felt to the bottom with a little spray adhesive so they wouldn't scratch anything, and then we waited for them to dry. 


While we were waiting for those to dry, we got to work on turning our Disney buttons into magnets. It was SO easy. We used spray adhesive on the back and popped the cardboard circles into the backs. 


Then we used the magnets that Hayden used for all his states. You just cut it to the amount you want, peel off the backing and it's already sticky. We stuck those to the back and we have some Magnets. We decided we're going to do this with our buttons from now on! 


Once our tiles were dry we sprayed them with a clear coat that'll make them a slight bit glossy, and make sure they're water proof. I actually still had all this on hand from making Asa's Madden desk, so it really was just the cost of the 9 cent tiles. 


We also worked on painting our projects from yesterday. 


They needed to be grey, so we mixed white and black paint to the boys liking. 


Then we added some moss I had on hand (I swear, I'm not a hoarder!), added some googlie eyes, and used a paint pen to add some details. And we had trolls from the movie Frozen! 









The boys were then informed of the hidden Mickey's all over the house and went on a hunt. 



They walked passed the same one's over and over again. It took them forever to find them all (and they were all in plain sight!) 


We also found a 'what Disney hero are you' quiz that I let the boys take. 

Hayden got Mulan. 


Calib got Aladdin. 


And Peyton got Flynn Rider (I feel like that was the most accurate one). 


Our dinner isn't something you can find IN the parks, but you can find it just outside the Magic Kingdom at the Polynesian Resort-- Tonga Toast! You might remember we first had this famous Disney dish when we stayed at the Grand Floridian back in May. Tonight, we decided to recreate it. The surprising thing: it was SO easy. It's got bananas in the middle of a giant piece of french toast, and then it's fried, and rolled in cinnamon sugar. 


I told you before it wouldn't be the healthiest meals this week, but hey, it's like we're actually on vacation at Disney that way. The Tonga Toast was just as awesome as it is at Disney. 


Our coasters are dry and ready to use, you can even put them together to re-create the map. 


For a desert tonight, I had to try my hand at a Disney treat everyone raves about, the Dole Whip! I had seen this on Pinterest a lot, but never tried it out. I froze some pineapple chunks yesterday, then I through those in the food processor with a little honey. I just streamed in some Almond Milk until it was the right consistency. 


It came out pretty yummy, but it wasn't quite a dole whip. It certainly wasn't as spot on as the Tonga Toast, but it was a nice treat, and the boys liked it. Guess we'll still have to get our Dole Whips in Adventureland. 


Next Up: Maybe a Disney Day, we'll see how it goes! 

No comments:

Post a Comment