Friday, July 4, 2014

Happy Third of July!

I know it's not the fourth yet (though it likely will be before I'm done writing this blog- we'll see if I can squeeze it in), but around here we celebrate our country's independence on the 3rd. (Sorry Thomas Jefferson!) Disney sets off the same fireworks on the 3rd and the 4th, and the 3rd just seems like a better, safer date to head out to see the fireworks. 

Now, Disney always has fireworks- the Magic Kingdom has them nearly every night all year long. But NOTHING I have ever seen in my life compares to their fourth of July fireworks. Every year I am totally amazed by them. This year was no different. Usually, we watch them for the Grand Floridian. But, this year we thought we should check them out from the Polynesian. They were even better from there, because you got the whole panoramic view. Just, amazing. 


But, I'm getting ahead of myself. The day was so much fun too. Asa and I made a Publix trip this morning, and we KILLED it on coupons. My original total was $42 (keep in mind the buy one get ones were already taken off at this point), then handed her a stack of coupons, and got it down to $16!! Asa had a cart, too (because we had two $5 off $40 coupons that were only good one per person), and his total went from $59 to $27.  

After we got home, we had lunch, played some Mario and then packed up for the day. I love my sandwich packs! 


We had a couple of surprises in store for the boys today (well, not for Peyton he asked me yesterday what the surprises were and I couldn't not tell the birthday boy.) First up was a stop at the Kona Cafe. Here's the deal: to be able to park at the Polynesian during fourth of July week, you either have to be a hotel guest, or have a reservation at one of the restaurants. Previous years, we've just made reservations and not kept them. But, this year they make you credit-card guarantee reservations, and charge you ($10 a person!) if you don't show up. So, we decided we'd have mid-day appetizers and desserts at the Kona Cafe in the Polynesian. 

The boys were pretty excited about this because we hardly ever eat out at Disney besides a few snacks here and there.  


We made the very last "lunch" reservation to make things a little cheaper, too. It made for an empty restaurant, which was nice. We ordered some pork buns and pot stickers. They were pretty yummy. 


We let the boys pick the desserts. They settled on an apple tart with gelato and peanut brittle. 


And whose going to pass up Chocolate Banana Creme Brulee? (Not me, ever again). 


Then it was time for surprise number two: A boat ride! Remember on our anniversary we discovered boat rentals were 30 percent off for passholders? Well, we also discovered the 6 person Boston Whaler was the same price as those little speed boats. The boys loved it. (I think they all declared it their favorite part of the day) 


Asa drove us all around the Seven Seas Lagoon, past Cinderellas castle, and over to Bay Lake. 


FYI, Asa's favorite part of the day: Driving the boat. 


Of course we've been on lots of Disney boats, but it's definitely more fun when it's just you driving around. 


It did start to cloud up quite a bit while we were out though. 


So, we headed back. It was just in time too, as they were closing up shop due to inclement weather when we arrived back at the docks. 


No sooner had we all changed into our swimsuits, as the pool closed too (Florida and it's thunderstorms, you know). But, Disney is pretty great with keeping kids entertained even when it rains. There's always activities in the lobby for kids when the pool is closed. Calib and Asa nosed around on his Nexus, while Peyton and Hayden made the best of it and colored some pictures. 


They also played some Jenga and built with the blocks. The boys had a pretty good attitude about it the whole time too, so Asa and I were happy. 


After the rain slowed (to a sprinkle), we got dinner from the car and found a pretty dry place to eat outside. 


Which worked out perfect, because as we were finishing dinner they sounded the whistle that the pool was back open.  As a bonus it was WAY less crowded than it was before they had to close it because of the storm. 


It was so un-crowded, there were ducks swimming in the pool! 


Of course they saw me finishing up dinner, and begged for my animal crackers like dogs. It was crazy. I obeyed the 'no feeding wildlife' sign, but I suspect (given their behavior) that most people don't. 


Then the boys had lots and lots of pool time. 


I swam for awhile too, until my fingers got prunie. 


I got out of the pool and dried off when I noticed people starting to save chairs for the fireworks, so I could save everyone front row seats. 


It sprinkled on and off the rest of the evening, but the boys got to spend hours swimming this evening, which they loved.  When they were all done, they changed and joined me, while Hayden played in the sand. 


You know, it's kind of amazing how cold 78 degrees can feel. I sat out there pretty cold, wrapped in pool towels. I guess I am getting used to the 100 degree temperatures. 




By the time the boys were all changed, there was only about 15 minutes until the fireworks. Hayden played in the sand while he waited. 


Then, Asa ran into  our favorite Disney cast member, Gwendolyn. If you remember, she was the AWESOME Disney employee who not only took our anniversary picture in picture, but also got us the very cool anniversary lei's. She remembered us, and said she'd been telling everyone about our picture in picture. We chatted for a bit, and we told her yesterday was Peyton's birthday. She said she'd be right back, and returned with a cupcake for Peyton! She is my favorite Disney cast member EVER. 


Gwendolyn (the one in the hat), brought her boss back with her too. They even had a candle to put in the cupcake. 


And not to leave out the rest of the family, she brought us all chocolate chip cookies. I mean, how awesome is that? Disney cast members always go out of their way, but she is just the best. 


And Peyton was thrilled with his cupcake, which he got just in time to enjoy the fireworks. 


Like I said before, they are always amazing. 


After the fireworks, Peyton spent some birthday money and got himself some Mickey inspired slippers. He loved how comfy they were. As soon as we were on the way home it started storming again. We really dodged the weather today. 


Next Up: The  Third Annual Waterstraut Olympics! 


No comments:

Post a Comment