Saturday, July 19, 2014

Rapunzel, Rapunzel, Let Down Your Hair


I'm kind of in a funk the last few days. I really think not going on vacation during July is screwing with me. Every year we've been in Florida, except for the first summer when we didn't make a trip up north, I've been gone for most of July. (Remember my 29 day long vacation that started this whole blogging venture?) I have never let the Florida heat get to me, and coop me up- but this year, being here the whole month- I don't know, I'm just--- blah! We've been going to the pool a bunch, pretty much everyday, but I still feel like we're hardly getting out of the house, and instead opting to sit in the air conditioning all day. September cannot come soon enough. So, anyway, yesterday I was really in no mood, we didn't do theme week and I didn't blog. I got some things done, I made the list of all the books, workbooks, apps and websites we used and put them in the back of Peyton and Hayden's photo book so I could order them, and got some couponing done, but I didn't have a ton to report, so I skipped the blog. 

Today I kind of decided I was going to pull myself out, and finish up theme week whether I wanted to or not, and once I was going, I felt a little better. Just a couple more weeks until vacation, and some fun things to celebrate between now and then (Next week Asa and I celebrate TEN years together!), so hopefully that shall help.

 But you know what really did the trick? Tangled. I LOVE Tangled. It might be my favorite Disney movie ever. It's a recent one, and despite the fact that it's Rapunzel, my boys love it as well. We dedicated our whole last Disney day to the movie and celebrated all things Tangled. Making Lanterns was a high light for sure. Here's a Sneak Peek of them, aren't they awesome? 


I am getting a little ahead of myself though. Yesterday evening, Asa was fully aware of my funk, and after working all day he suggested we go out for dinner. I reluctantly agreed, and I'm glad I did- it was a nice evening out. 

When we were getting ready to leave, I told the boys to make whatever they wanted for dinner. Peyton was super excited to make a salad. That boy and his salads. 


Now, Asa and I have total 'married people dates', but we have a good time going out to do anything together, really. First we raided Targets toy clearance. This is an awesome time to pick up stuff for Hayden for Christmas, because we all know he's still going to want action figures in 5 months. We picked up all kinds of them at 70 percent off. 

Then we went out to the mall for dinner at BJ's Brewhouse. The hostess asked us if we wanted to sit inside, or 'outside' on the mall terrace (it's not actually outside, its just in the mall), we said whichever and she replied with 'it's half priced appetizers and mini pizzas on the terrace'. We were sold. We always get the appetizer sampler and a mini pizza to split, so it was just half off our bill. You guys, it was like $13.00. We've had discussions about where to go for our anniversary next week and this has to be a contender-- my gosh, the value. 


We stopped by Kohls on the way back, because my mom had sent me Kohl's Cash. (Oh and heads up, Kohls is no longer going to be taking expired Kohls Cash-- for all those who recently told me you could do that) I told Asa I really wanted to get new beach towels. They were already 70 percent off, and then I had my Kohls Cash, THEN I got a $10 promotional gift when I checked out. Five new towels were like 20 bucks, amazing! Apparently, I saved $108 on towels. Not that I would have spent that much, but still. 


This morning I took Peyton and Hayden out to the kids cooking class at Williams and Sonoma over at Wiregrass. It was salad day, so they made and tried all kinds of different salads and dressings. 


It was a fresh market week too, so I treated them to a shaved ice. 


Then we picked out all kinds of veggies for dinner tonight. It wasn't tangled related, but it was related to a certain Disney movie involving a rat, any guesses? 


I even sprang for a whatever pop today. Watermelon Citrus-- Yum! 


When we got home we worked on our theme week crafts. 


First up we made little Pascals. (Rapunzel has a pet chameleon thats her side kick) 


Calib was not amused at the party blowers when his brothers thought they were super fun. 


Then we started on what turned out to be my favorite theme week activity so far: Lanterns. 


If you haven't seen the movie (um, whats wrong with you?), Rapunzel was taken from her family as a baby and the king and queen send up lanterns in her honor every birthday. 


We made ours by covering various bottles (the boys used simply lemonade) with tissue paper. We just used some watered down glue and some sponges to apply it. 


Asa even came and made one. (He was working, thus the headset) 


And I made one too. 


Once everyone was done, I used the hole puncher to make two holes in the top, one on either side. 


In the movie, Rapunzel loves to paint. She paints whole walls with beautiful paintings. I didn't have a spare wall, so I just tape up butcher paper on the glass doors and let the boys go to town. 


Those baby/toddler plates that show up in the dollar spot at Target are great for our paints. I picked up another one this week in the summer clearance for 29 cents! 


I don't know how well you can see it, but I really like Hayden's Rapunzel down in the corner there. 


Calib went slightly more abstract. 


Peyton made all kinds of lanterns in his sky, which I thought was a nice touch. 


When I told the boys that was it for activities, Hayden wanted to gather up all his crafts from this week, and asked me to take a picture. He liked Disney week, a lot. 


Asa and I strung up the lanterns in the kitchen, they looked cute just hung up- but the best was yet to come. 


For dinner tonight, Asa and Peyton made Ratatouille! We've never had it before, and we thought this was the perfect opportunity to give it a try. 


It looked pretty good coming out of the oven. It tasted even better. We put a little mascarpone cheese on top, and it's a total 'make again' meal. 


After dinner we hit the pool, and watched a Once Upon A Time. Then it was dark enough to 'light' our lanterns.


I picked up glow sticks at the Target dollar spot, and they worked surprisingly well. 


We turned off the lights, and they looked even better. I wish you could all see them in person-- they are awesome. 


Thats it for Disney week! 

Up Next: Asa put Doug and Ren & Stimpy on Plex! I sense a vegging out kind of Sunday. 



No comments:

Post a Comment