Saturday, March 28, 2020

Social Distancing Journal, Day 15.

I've really just been paying attention to Florida news today. I couldn't really tell you wants going on in the country as a large (I think we're nearing 115,000 cases), and that's just because I got on Twitter a few minutes ago, and it's blowing up with hate for our Governor. I'm goign to tell you about it, but note, I've lifted some pictures off twitter to show you.

In Florida today, we've crossed over to more than 4,000 cases. 500 at least in the Tampa area. Miami seems to be our hot spot, but people also think that's because they've had more access to testing. They're seeing about 100 more cases every 12 hours.  Tampa just hasn't had the testing. Even the drive thru places in Tampa had to stop testing because they ran out of supplies. And even the tests are so specific with who can get them. It's still really, really hard to get one here.

Meanwhile, our Governor is banning people from the state left or right. He barred some reporters from his news conference after they had inquired why he wasn't practicing proper social distancing during his press conferences. And now they've set up check points coming into Florida. Local news says if you have a Lousiana or New York plate you have to go over to a waiting area and are told to quarentine for 14 days. Semi trucks get to go through the checkpoint without stopping, and everyone else has to go through weigh stations and just answer a couple questions about where they are coming from. I'm not entirely sure how any of thise makes sense. DeSantis says people are coming from thsoe states because they're trying to get away from their 'shelter in place' orders. And I'm like, well, if you'd fricken order one too, it'd seem a lot less appealing. Asshat. Checkpoints are only in certain places too. I-95, I-10, I think. I haven't heard about any checkpoint on I-75 yet, but can you imagine the back up, even on these less busy days? This is bananas. Just close down the state. I'm so annoyed. Like, I was annoyed when we elected this Trump idiot, but not surprised. But now I'm like, great, his complete inaction is going to make Florida a shit show.
ImageThis aerial photo provided by the Florida Keys News Bureau, shows a checkpoint at the top of the Florida Keys Overseas Highway, Friday, March 27, 2020, near Key Largo, Fla. The Keys have been temporarily closed to visitors and non-residents since March 22, because of the coronavirus crisis. (Andy Newman/Florida Keys News Bureau via AP)
ImageImage

Lots of places have closed on their own, but there's still plenty that haven't. Beaches are not closed statewide. Today there were some pictures from the county line between Duval (closed beaches), and St John's county (not closed), and as soon as you hit St John's, the beaches are packed. I guess St. John's said they were going to close their beaches too. But, stuff like this is going to keep happening until Florida closes all of our beaches. DeSantis was asked about leaving the beaches open today and continued the blame game on New York, saying the subway in NYC  is being "packed like sardines," and then complained that a family sitting outside in "sunshine, heat and humidity, that's not as big as a problem. Do you hear the same people complaining about the New York City subway system being open? I mean, give me a break. Which one is more conducive to having Covid-19 spread or any respiratory virus? It's not even close." So, that's our governor. Yay.
Image

You know what else would help? A statewide shelter in place order. DeSantis says there are something like 20 counties without a case, but for real, they are all pan handle counties, with significantly less people. It's fricken widespread and we all know it. The Tampa Bay Times article said we are on track to see 10's of thousands coronavirus cases in the coming weeks. This is quickly spinning out of control here, because my governor is fricken Trump 2.0. This won't be as bad for you guys in states with governors who can protect you from Trump being an idot. But here, here, we've got nothing- one lone Democrat as Secretary of Agriculture (who has been clammoring for a week now to get DeSantis to shut down the state to no avail).

But that's my news rant for you. Except for that, I rather enjoyed my day. I had my morning coffee and snuggles with Etta.


Hayden and I spread some birthday cheer for a neighbor, and Allison. 


Asa and I took a bike ride through the neighborhood. We were going to stop at the dock, but people were out there, so we didn't (in the name of Social Distancing Safety!) 


And it was 95 degrees today, so it was definitly a pool day. Now, we can't go to the pool down at the lodge, so we had to make do in the backyard. 


Surely, there are worse ways to spend your day. 


Since we're trying not to go out these days (we got take out last night, but that was it), Asa said he'd give us some fun dining exeperiences at home. So tonight was Five Guys night, the potatoes were fresh from the Wesley Chapel Costco. 


He took all of our orders (the boys were excited to find out that they could order double pattied hamburgers! and large fries!)  


He wrote all of our orders on recipt paper (we all picked our names and a number between 1-100) and then he taped them up on the plant shelf


Of course your whole order came in a brown paper bag, with your burger wrapped in foil, and your reciept taped to the outside (and a napkin included for good measure). 


I ordered a little cheeseburger all the way with a small fries (normal seasoning, no cajun for me- the boys did all order cajun and enjoy it though). 


So thanks to Asa for our fun night out! 

I've been working on John Tyler's birthday stuff. I'm about halfway done with it. After the pool this afternoon, I worked on that while they played some basketball. The guys are watching the second Matrix (they watched the first on Asa's birthday), and I think we have plans later to play Jackbox with Jake over Zoom/Google Hangouts/Skype or whatever it is were using these days. 

Most popular "hurricane snacks": String Cheese and Bananas are back in stock after my trip to Costco


Current binge watching obession: Ozark is back, and we've started the Mindy Project

Most popular game: Jackbox and Mario Kart tonight. 

Boredness scale 1 to 10: 1. Today, as far as quarentine days go, was pretty fun. 

Frozen II Watchthroughs: 11.5. I'm working on John Tyler today, what else would I watch while busying myself with presidential stuff. 

Trips to the store: 2, and one take out trip

Days Down: 15

Days Remianing: Undetermined. 



No comments:

Post a Comment