Tuesday, March 17, 2020

Social Distancing Journal, Day Four

Another day of social distancing under our belts here. On the national news front, I think were somewhere around 5,700 cases according to CNN, and the US death toll has past 100. Tajectory is still going straight up. Florida is somewhere between 150 and 200, but testing here has been ridiculously slow. This morning our governor didn't have much else to say, then someone died in a nursing home in south Florida, and suddenly he called another press coference and changed his tune. Schools are going to stay closed at least until April, all colleges have to switch to online for the rest of the semester (Pasco Hernando State College- where the boys go- had already done this). And he's suspending all testing and grades for the rest of the year. That's right, no more grades. Parent's can hold their kids back a grade if they want. He's closing all the bars and night clubs. But, resturants can still be open, as long as they reduce their capacity by 50%. I had no less than 8 places on Facebook telling me they're open for dine-in and to come on it. Yet again, our beaches were full. They were told just to try and keep a safe distance from each other. But, local news was out there again today and it was just as packed as yesterday. Florida is being stupid about this. Disney Springs closed today. 

Trump's press coference was better today. He changed his tune, and seems to be taking this as seriously as he can, because he is still Trump after all. He did say "I always knew it was a pandemic", which yea, ok. We all know that's a change of tune. And, then someone asked about him attacking the Michigan governor and he gave essential a "she started it". I'm going to start counting how many hyperboles he uses during his press coferences, I'd make a drinking game out of it, but I'd be drunk before lunch time. Oh, and in "whats been canceled today" we can add the Kentucky Derby to the list, oh and a couple of NBA players tested positive today too, including Kevin Durant. But question, how are these guys getting all the tests? Becuase Florida is seemingly having an impossible time getting their hands on anything. 

Jame's Madison's birthday was yesterday, but I was a little behind. We celebrated today instead. (I even wore my James Madison University shirt!) Peyton walked in when I announced "and now we arrive at a little thing called the 3/5 clause in the Consitution", and he was like "oh no" and turned around and left. I'll get to James Madison (and Andrew Jackson's) blog soon. 


I did take the dogs for a walk this morning, we didn't see any other dogs, but I saw no less than five middle age men out in their driveways on their phones yelling at someone. Tensions are clearly high. 


Lets so a garden check. If you look REAL close you can see my tiny radishes I planted on Saturday, and our second round of lettuce. 


Plus I have more tiny squash and zucchini! 


And we have at least one pepper coming on every pepper plant. Though something is eating some of the leaves. 


Asa had a break in his student calls today so we decided to go for a bike ride around the neighborhood. I think that's ok, right? We didn't touch anything and we didn't do near anyone. But, honestly, I was at my lowest weight ever this morning, I do not want to gain any of it back because I'm staying inside. 

So, our bike ride. Some kids were just out in their front yards, by themselves sadly kicking around a soccer ball or even golf balls in isolation. Bravo guys. But WAY TOO MANY houses had a pile of 5 to 10 bikes is front and screaming kids and adults in the backyard like having a social distancing party or something. There was a soccer game with tons of kids and a few adults going on at the park, and another park had more than 10 kids throwing around water ballons. We rode by and heard a tweenager talking to her friend saying "this is all getting out of control because people are stupid." Not sure what she meant by that by I'm hoping it's because people aren't staying in, but I'm doubting that. 

When we got back, Hayden had on Frozen II again and he was drawing his James Madison spread. Dolley is heavly featured. 


We had spaghetti for dinner, and salads. Hayden has been picking at his salad the last few nights and I told him he didn't HAVE TO have one if he didn't want it, but he kept saying to make him one with dinner. I'm like, man, lettuce isn't always going to be easy to come by, don't waste it! I told Asa we should make him the smallest salad ever tonight, so this is what he got. Hayden was not amused. 


Our libary is still open, but all programs are canceled for at least the next two weeks. Hayden goes to so many programs, so he's really sad about it. Tonight should have been chess club. So we held Waterstraut chess club instead, and we all played a game with him. He beat every one of us, except Asa. 


I'm not really sure Calib knew the rules or how pieces move, but he at least took part. 


It's getting warmer in Florida, and this is usually where I want to go lots of places. 1. because you have to get used to the sun and the heat in increments. 2. it's warm, but not humid yet, so especially in the evenings it's gorgeous. 
We are lucky enough to have a nice private backyard and a lovely screened in porch, and at least we can enjoy that. So we played chess and a couple of games of bananagrams out there this evening. 


And then we had ice cream sundaes, because we needed a little pick me up, and it's a nod to Dolley Madison! 


I do have some terrible, terrible news though. It looks like the Bucs might sign Tom Brady. I just threw up a little thinking about it. There's been lots of shouting and yelling at each other over this, this evening. Calib says he's only "50% mad about it" because he's tired of losing. I can't stomach the thought of having to listen to announcers heap praise on Tom Brady every single Sunday, and Asa goes back and forth. He hates that the Bucs are going to get Tom Brady Bandwagon fans, and either he does well and everyone talks about how TB fixed Tampa Bay, or he sucks and we have to hear about how we broke Tom Brady. But, on the bright side we might get some primetime games, and we might win. I don't know. I'm going to pretend it's not happening. Tom Brady, change your mind! And, even if he signs tomorrow, I'm going to go ahead and stick my head in the sand. 



Speaking of sticking your head in the sand, Florida held their primary today, despite the coronavirus. Like, what?  Our polling place is in the clubhouse for a 55 and up community in the next neighborhood over. That's bananas. We all early voted, because I saw this coming. I voted for Joe Biden. I wasn't happy about it, but I did it. Other people in my house aren't taking the projection of Florida going to Joe Biden so well. 


We only checked off one square in Coronavirus bingo today. 


Things are getting a little squirrely here. We're used to being all together, but usually we've at least got errands to run, class to go to, and programs to attend. Asa complained "you guys, we can do better as a soicety putting bowls in the dishwasher." And Calib is now sleeping in way past Calib's usual 8 am math class. Today, I got annoyed everyone wasn't up and broadcasted through the google home "goodmorning!" at noon. We are out of berries and bananas now, and we finished our first big package of lettuce.

Hayden sums up today best "Wrestlemania is canceled, Peyton has to vote for Joe Biden for president, and Tom Brady is coming to the Bucs. The world might as well be ending".

Most popular "hurricane snacks": Ice Cream

Toilet paper supply: Still Abundant, how much do you think we go through?

Current binge wathing obession: At this point, we pretty much just watch Disney Movies over and over again

Most popular game: Dragonball Fighters

Boredness scale 1 to 10: 2. Hayden totaled up how many hours he could kill by adding all the Avenergers movies runtime together

Frozen II Watchthroughs: 4

Days Down: 4

Days Remianing: Undetermined.

No comments:

Post a Comment