Tuesday, March 24, 2020

Social Distancing Journal, Day Eleven

Just time for a quick recap of the day! 52,000 cases, or so. Trump wants to open the country back up for Easter, which has me beg the question, did he shut anything down? Because I'm not recalling the federal government telling us anything but "15 days to slow the spread", which is too vague in my opnion. But, all those stay at home orders come from governors, or mayors, or county commissioners... so like, does he even have the power to open anything?

And then, ugh. I am so exasperated with Florida today. First of all, half of my neighbors think this thing is a joke. And like, I don't even live in a neighborhood where you'd think that'd be a thing. But, I apparently do. But, I know in part, it comes from the Governor being very non-committal in what we shoudl all be doing. He won't order a state 'stay at home order', saying he's seen "massive non-compliance" in states that have issued those orders, and 'If you're doing a big block party in California during a lockdown, wouldn't it be better to just go to work? You're probably going to transmit less in the office than with a bunch of drunk idiots in a block party".

So, there's that.

Also, if you've come from New York in the last three weeks you have to isolate yourself and provide the state with names of anyone you've come into contact with, which is really interesting coming from a state who just hosted massive amounts of Spring Breakers and sent them all home.

But hey at least he's finally "recommending" anyone over 65 stay home.

So, we've got mayors takign things into their own hands. Mayor Jane Castor in Tampa, said an order is coming, probably tomorrow from her. But, she was trying to get together with the mayor of St Pete to issue a wider order, then the county commissioner said it was his call, no hers, and it's kind of a giant shit show, because our Governor wants to leave everything up to local government with zero direction.

Orange County (Orlando) will finally go on lockdown starting on Thursday for two weeks, which would put them at April 9. After the order came in, Universal said they would be extending their closure until April 19. Still no word from Disney, but I'd think with the county shelter in place order, they couldn't possibly reopen on their target date of April 1. I'm still crossing my fingers they extend the Flower and Garden festival until our anniversary!

In Florida, we're nearing 1,500 cases, but our testing is really low. Like, we've done 15,000 tests last I looked. I hope I'm wrong, but I keep feeling like our numbers are just going to spike out of nowhere, and we're going to end up like New York. Hopefully I'm wrong.

We'll keep staying home, because we can and because we should, and making the best of things. Monday's and Tuesday's are pretty similar as before, since those are Asa's 8am-9pm work days.

Today for school, Hayden and I celebrated (Stephen) Grover Cleveland's birthday, just under a week late. Sorry Grover, your birthday had to wait. I was very excited to wear my Uncle Jumbo for President shirt though! 

After yesterday's disaster of a walk, I just took Ells-a-bells today. We ran into a lot of other dogs, but if it's jus Ellie, that's not really a problem. 


There is lots of sidewalk chalk in the neighborhood, though- more than I've ever seen before. It probably helps that we've had litterally ZERO rain the whole month of March, so once you draw it, it's going to be there awhile. 




We are having some great weather here. It's been about mid-80, and the humidity is so low. Usually I'd be hurrying up trying to do all the activities before the heat and humidity of summer come for us. It's PERFECT Disney weather. But, a las, we're here, at home. No crossbay ferry trips for me, so kyaking to Caldesi Island, no visiting Bok Tower Gardens. It was all on my "spring" to do list. We're making the best of it though, by spending a little time outside. The boys have been using the basketball hoop a lot, and I spent some time reading in my hammock today. 


And it would have been TAB and Chess Club night at the library, so we held chess club again, outside. Calib still doesn't really know what the peices do. He claims he's going to read up for next week's chess club, I highly doubt it, and we'll be right back here next Tuesdays. 


You know who doesn't mind that we're here all the time? The puppies! I took this picture while they were all sitting on my lap, and Porkchop was slightly growling at Phenom, and I love it. It's very accurate of the three of them. And of course, you have Ellie paying no attention to me, watching out the window. 


 Dipper isn't too upset about it either, though. 


Tomorrow is Asa's birthday, and there's no birthday extravaganza weekend to be had. We were planning to go to Ohio to go to Cort and Holly's fish fry and lake house. But instead, Asa is taking tomorrow off. I thought ahead and bought him a cheesecake last Thursday when I went to the store, but we broke into it tonight. There's more than half left for tomorrow, too. 


One of Asa's students were going to send him a birthday card, but thought it's probably not a good idea in these times, so instead they wrote him a birthday card, had their whole family sign in, and scanned it in for him. So thoughtful! 


Speaking of students, look how excited Calib is to be doing his school work all online. He's thrilled. Still nothing from his Public Speaking teacher. Not sure how she plans to do that online, but where there's a will, there's a way, right? 


Let's do a check of Coronavirus Bingo. The Olympics were postponed today, which makes me so sad. It was one more 2020 thing I was looking forward to. I'm trying to decide if we should still do them here like usual. Maybe one day while on quarentine we'll do various events in a nod to the 2020 Olympics that weren't. We're real close to a Bingo, we could get one in any number of spots. But for real, how has Congress not passed a Caoronavirus Relief Bill yet?


Most popular "hurricane snacks": There was quite the argument over honey nut Cheerios today. 

Toilet paper supply: Still Plenty!

Current binge watching obession: The Imagineering Story on Disney Plus. It'll help give you your Disney fix. I'm not sure I would have properly appreciated it two weeks ago. But now I'll soak up anything Disney. 


Most popular game: We had hoped to play Tammany Hall today for Cleveland's birthday, but Asa doesn't have time for that one. There's talk of Mario Kart tonight, though. 

Boredness scale 1 to 10: 1. Not too bad today, with a presidential birthday, chess club, some TV, and some reading, we filled our day pretty well. 

Frozen II Watchthroughs: 9.5, we didn't finish it today, but we watched some! 

Trips to the store: 1. I have plans for Costco on Thursday though. 

Days Down: 11

Days Remianing: Undetermined. 


No comments:

Post a Comment