Monday, August 23, 2021

2020 (1) Summer Games Day 16: Sport Climbing

I'm back! I know it's been a minute since I last blogged, but get this- I was actually busy. I went somewhere! To Disney! For FIVE nights! (granted, it's been two weeks since we got back). But, spoiler alert: it was also my birthday! And not just any birthday- my big 4-0, so nearly my entire family came down to celebrate with me. It was the first time I saw any of them (except my mom!) since August of 2019. 

 So, that's lots of blogging catch up to do. And, I put it off slightly because I was gifted a new chrome book to replace my old dinosaur of laptop, and I'm still adjusting (mostly to the keyboard in which the search button is in place of the old caps lock). Anyway, I'm going to try and get caught up by the end of the month, but before I get to my birthday, we have to finish up the Olympics. 

So lets rewind back to the day before we left for Disney for our last Olympic Event: Sport Climbing! It debuted at this years Olympics in Tokyo, so we had to include it. 

 

Our country of the day was France, a nod to the 2024 Games that will be held in Paris. 


The fact sheet was super easy for the boys. 


So of course everyone got it correct. 


I did have a couple of extra countries we didn't get to. When I made them, I wasn't sure how many days of Olympics we would have, or if we'd have the stuff for all the dinners, so I gave myself a bit of a buffer. 

These, however, proved to be a bit tougher. 


Could you get this one? 


It's Romania. The boys guessed in the right area, but nobody got it spot on. 

However, they all got the next one. 


Easy peasy, that's Kuwait! 

For our event, I had hoped to go to a rock climbing gym. But, Covid cases were on the rise, and we still need to be careful even though we're vaccinated. We especially didn't want anything to mess up my birthday plans. 

So, instead, I made basically a hot lava course from one end of the house to the other. Fastest time would be the winner. 

However, in order to do that, we had to take down the summer blanket fort. Sad day. (It had to come down anyway because we actually all left the house for five full days for my birthday).




You began on the wii fit board.  The path you took then was up to you. 


We scattered benches and chairs. 


And Hayden and I tested it several times. We decided this was an acceptable jump from the piano bench to the bean bag chair. 


And then we continued scattering furniture through the family room. 



At the end of it all was the buzzer to stop your time. 


Hayden went first and since he helped me put together the course and tested it, he did have an advantage. 




Calib was up next, and despite his best efforts... 


He just could not make the jump from the piano bench to the beanbag. 


Eventually we put in a buffer. But, it did slow him and Peyton down (they didn't care, they said it was too dangerous to make the jump as if I'm the irresponsible one for making the course!) 


So, Hayden easily took the gold. Peyton got the silver in Sport Climbing, and Calib collected the bronze. 


We also handed out medals for getting the most Spotlight Countries correct. Peyton smoked everyone. 


And the person who placed the most correct bets on Olympians. Calib placed the most bets, and won the most. Peyton, not willing to gamble- took the bronze, and Hayden struck a happy medium with the silver. 


Though it is worth noting. nobody got the Sport Climbing medalists correct. 


For our French Dinner we cooked pepper steak and potatoes dauphinoise. 


Plus we put it all together with some french style green beans. 


We also had some Sparkling Lemonade we picked up at Aldis.. 


And some very fancy french pudding for dessert. 


Now, we couldn't actually finish up our Olympics until the one's in Tokyo had handed out all their medals, because all those countries they got right for the OLympic spotlight needed to be added to their totals, and there was still the weekend to go. 

But here's where their banks stood... 




Tight race, but these were the current standings. 


Next up: I'm going to skip ahead to Closing Ceremonies before going back to my birthday just to keep all the Olympic stuff together. 

No comments:

Post a Comment