Tuesday, August 31, 2021

Corinne's 40th Birthday Extravaganza! Happy Birthday to Me (Day 5)

I hope you are ready for an fun filled action packed blog with a ton of pictures. Because, I might not have done 24 hours of birthday like Calib, but I got my money's worth people. We were up at 7am and our heads didn't hit the pillow until 2:30 am the next morning. You only turn 40 once, no reason to sleep through it. 

We were up so early for a specific reason: horseback riding at the Tri-Circle D Ranch at Fort Wilderness. 

When we called to make reservations for 10 there was only one time slot with that many available: 8 am! So, we took it. 

And, on the upside, a normal trail ride only takes up to 12 people, and those other slots weren't filled. It was just us 10 on the horses, plus our two trail guides. 

We were all ready to board our horses!


These pictures are actually in reverse order from how we got on our horses, but I figure that doesn't matter for blogging purposes. 

Garrett was the last one on his horse, Zazu. 




Peyton rode Latte. 


Holly had Vegas. 


Hayden had a white horse. His name was Jack. 




Winston (you can also call him Winnie, he's not very formal). He was better for her than me, he didn't eat once with Gwen at the reins. But, to be fair, she did horseback riding as like an after school activity thing. 


Calib had Sherman, and lets just say... Calib wasn't the best horseback rider ever. Sherman was constantly trying to eat and go off the trail. We all made adequate amount of fun of Calib for how poorly he controlled his horse. 




Mom rode Onyx. They got to be the first in line behind the trail guide. 



Followed by Asa on his horse, Brutus. 


It was a really fun trail ride. Plus I got to start my birthday by riding horses, what more can you ask for?!? 


After horseback riding, we went back to the cabin for some hanging out and breakfast. 




Take note of my shirt. I got it specifically for my birthday, because it was the first time I was going back into the Magic Kingdom since December of 2019. 


After breakfast, six of us headed back to Fort Wilderness to do Archery. Sadly, there were only six spots available when we booked. So, the five of us went, plus Gwen. 


Asa and I did this a couple years ago for an anniversary, and the boys did it with us once too. 


It's super fun, but I'm not the best at it. They show you how to shoot the arrows, the order in which we're going to do things (pick up your bow, shoot, put away your bow, walk up to the line, grab your arrows, ect.) 


Asa was my partner, shooting at the same target, which made me look even worse. 


But hey, at least I wasn't Calib shooting with Gwen (she showed him up, hard). Meanwhile Hayden and Peyton were both pretty competitive. 


Everyone had a good time, but it was so HOT. Some of us were mostly in the shade, and some of us weren't. So, by the time our hour and half was up, we were pretty spent. 


So, we headed over to the pool area to get some drinks. We ordered some frozen ones for the kids and Asa and I got water. 


And they played a little ping pong while they waited. 



Before heading down to the boats to go back to the Wilderness Lodge, we dunked our heads in the water to cool off a bit. 


We walked about half a mile down to the boat, and found out it wasn't (and hadn't) been running. I was annoyed by this, because we called the front desk and specifically asked if the boat from Fort Wilderness to the Wilderness Lodge was running, and they said it was. (It wasn't during our anniversary either- thats why I called). 


And the kids were really hot and tired, and annoyed. So we called Cort to come pick us up. 


And, we made the best of it by playing Pine Cone Discus. 


I used sticks to mark the longest throw. 


Which kept them entertained until we waved down Cort. 


Who had just the mask for Asa. Actually we grabbed this when we thought we were going to need it on the boat, so Asa only ever wore it for the picture. 


Back at the cabin, it was time for a late lunch. Cort grilled out some brats at the grills along the pathway. I went down to take his picture, and he was on his way back. 


But he was like, 'oh no, we can go get a picture at the grills' and he walked back to put the brats on the grill. Just, you know, an fyi that this is a totally staged picture. But, a good one! 


Garrett didn't get to do archery with us, he stayed behind and caught some lizards. 

And to do a different kind of archery. Mom had brought a bow and arrow especially for him, so he set up his own archery event for himself, Cort, Holly, and mom. But it was pretty fun, and we all took turns at it. 


Mom and Cort were pretty terrible at it. 


Garrett wasn't bad. 


But Holly had a different strategy and killed it. 


When Cort suggested the Olympics, he also suggested a Frozen T-shirt Contest. I was happy to oblige, so he brought along some t-shirts, I brought ours- and I frozen them all the night before. 


I figured the cabin with the hot tub would be the best place to do it. So everyone lined up, and I handed out the shirts. 

And then everyone raced for the hot tub to melt their ice. (It didn't melt as fast in the hot tub as I thought it would.)


Though Garrett sometimes took his out to throw it around a bit. 


Cort was the first one to get his shirt on, and he was very excited about it. 


Calib then talked about how embarrassing it would be if Aunt Holly beat him. (Which she later did). 


We lined up in order of how we finished. I contend that mom and I started last (we handed out the rookie shirts first, so they had a few seconds headstart), and took pictures. But, anyway. 


Your Sattler Summer Games Frozen Tshirt winners. 


And yes, I made medals for the occasion. 


Cort was so proud of his, he was wearing it the next morning, and then sent me a picture of it hanging over a lamp at his house when he got home. 


After the Frozen T-shirt Contest, we strung up the Pinata. I've never had a Pinata for my birthday before, and it sounded like a fun idea. Fun Fact: My grandma had her first pinata on her birthday when she turned 95, using her cane as a bat to hit the pinata. And, I am the keeper of that cane. So, in honor of her, we brought along the cane to smash the pinata. 


Everyone took a swing. Well, most everyone. 



I got to smash it though, because it was my birthday!



Pinata success! 


Also, in honor of my grandma- I was gifted her ring from my mom. A very sentimental, and thoughtful gift for my 40th birthday. 


When I turned 38, I made a list of things to do before I turned 40. Of course, then Covid hit, and all those plans went to shit. But, the final thing on that list was: Have Calib Buy Me a Drink on my 40th Birthday. 

And, he delivered. We headed down to Geyser Point for a Banana Cabana. 


And, not only did he buy me a drink... 


He bought one for everyone! 


Our bartender was super cool about it too. 


This might be my favorite picture from my birthday (he's signing the check in the background there) 


Thanks, Calib! It's not everyone that can have their first born buy them a drink on their 40th birthday. 


After drinks we hit the pool, that had just reopened after the weather- so it was practically empty! 


And then we headed back to get ready for the evening activites- and what better way to do that than by watching cartoons as you shower? 



So, because of the Pandemic, Magic Kingdom Parties for the holidays were non-existent last year. And this year, they decided to have modified "After Hours" Events. Replacing Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween Party was Boo Bash, and it just so happens that it was debuting ON MY BIRTHDAY! What luck! Sure, we did have to wait on hold for like five hours (no exaggeration) to get tickets. But, we did. And not only was a returning to the Magic Kingdom for the first time in one year and 8 months, but I was also going to Boo Bash! 

Which means, you can dress up. After much discussion, Cort thought it would be fun to each dress up themed to the various Disney hotels. 

I'll give you one guess what Cort's hotel was..... 


The Yacht Club! 

Garrett, sporting his Indiana Jones hat was the Wilderness Lodge. Gwen, all beached out was the Beach Club. Holly, with her parrothead was Old Key West. Mom, with her animal print dress and hat (complete with a misquito net) was Animal Kingdom Lodge. Peyton, with his Hawaiian shirt and shark necklace was the Polynesian. Calib dressed in all his sports gear and a running medal was All Star Sports. Hayden, in a shirt we threw paint on (he also had an artist hat and sunglasses) was Art of Animation. Asa repurposed him Wilderness Explorer Outfit to be themed to Fort Wilderness, and I repurposed my Kevin outfit to dress in Mardi Gras theme for Port Orleans- French Quarter. Cort set up his camera to take a picture of all of us outside the cabin.. 

..and a nice person took our picture at the docks too. 



Because we were headed over to the boat... 


TO GO TO THE MAGIC KINGDOM!


You guys. IT"S THE CASTLE. In all of it's 50th Anniversary Glory. 


I sure missed this. I might have gotten a little teary-eyed when I walked up to the castle the first time. 


Not to mention this is the first time in a very, very long time that all five of us have been in the Magic Kingdom together. Cort and Holly had been in MK more recently than us!



Boo Bash wouldn't start for a couple hours, though. In the meantime we went on some low-wait times. 

First up: Philharmagic. 
But, this kind of stunk. We were one of the first people in the room, and then people kept crowding in. I felt rather uncomfortable. So, instead of enjoying the thing I most wanted to see, I was just panicked and annoyed at the whole thing. 


So, then we stuck to outside rides- like the Barnstormer. 


And Dumbo! 




And the Tomorrowland Speedway (we got yelled at for having our masks down while driving around in our own car- which was weird). 


Not only were we going to the Magic Kingdom for the first time, and on my birthday, and for a party, but also at night. At night time Magic Kingdom is my favorite kind of Magic Kingdom. 

And it got toward 9, we made our way to the back of the park to watch the fireworks. I just couldn't do the crowds from the hub. You guys.. it's the TANGLED LIGHTS! 


( I am so jealous of Asa's camera. It takes way better pictures than mine- especially at night). 

Back on the boardwalk along the Riverboat ride is not a bad spot to watch the fireworks from. 



 And if I got a little teary eyed seeing the castle, I got a lot teary-eyed watching the fireworks. Man, Covid sucks. 


Once the fireworks were over, the park closed to day guests, and it was Boo Bash time! 


We quickly headed over to get our wristbands for the evening to denote us as Boo Bash Guests. 


Boo Bash is a little different from Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween Party. It's more marketed as an "after hours event" which means less crowds. But, there is still trick or treating! So we collected our bags. 


And not only do you get free candy, but you also get free ice cream, popcorn, and soda/water. As much as you want! YOu just keep going up to carts to grab stuff. Garrett made the most of this (I think he had 5 ice creams and 2 popcorns). 


Some rides still got the Halloween layover like normal too. Including the Haunted Mansion! 


You guys, it's the first time I've seen the streching picture since we did the puzzles (those two are on our wall!) 


It was nice to have low waits on everything- things I wouldn't wait in line for because of my anxiety being around crowds, I got to go on- like It's a Small World (no wait!) 



 
And Seven Dwarfs Mine Train! And the People Mover! 



Of course, the park was also all decked out for the occasion. 


And there were just as many trick or treat opportunities. 


You guys, I got to go trick or treating! in the Magic Kingdom! ON MY BIRTHDAY! 

I also got Pixie Dusted for my birthday! (Though I"m not sure where those pictures went to.) But, it was about 11:58 and we were going through a trick or treat line and a cast member wished me "Happy Birthday" and I was like "only for two more minutes!" So she asked if I wanted to end my birthday with a Pixie Dusting. (They sprinkle you with glitter sparkles). And let me tell you, that is not a bad way to finish up your birthday. 







But the party kept going until 12:30. While there wasn't the Boo to You Parade (or the special Fireworks for the party), there were special Halloween cavalcades! We spotted Mickey and Minnie in their costumes, and they even played the 'Boo to You' Music! 


At the end of the party we split up. Cort, Holly, Calib, Hayden and Garrett went to go on Space Mountain. Gwen took off to ride her favorite- Splash Mountain- one more time. Asa, Mom, Peyton and Me went to head toward the gift shops (I sadly did not find the plate I was looking for, or a Boo Bash magnet). 

But, on our way over we did run into the Maleficent cavalcade! 


How cool is that? 


And while there still are no meet and greets- Winnie the Pooh and friends were greeting from a distance IN THEIR HALLOWEEN COSTUMES on the porch of the Crystal Palace. 


Check it out, you can still get a picture with them! 



Of course Mickey and friends were waving goodnight from the train station on our way out. 


The boat ride back for the four of us was tough. They were packing boats shoulder to shoulder- masks not requried! We had to get off one boat and took another where we could sit outside away from the packed indoor crowd. 

But, we arrived back safe and sound and headed toward the cabins at a little after one. 


The rest of the group was a little behind us and had no trouble with the boats, and easily got an outside seat! 


I was bummed the pool wasn't still opened, and everyone joked about how at home it's like 8 pm and I'm like 'welp, seems like bedtime to me', but it was my birthday. And I was so excited. I even had a hard time going to sleep by the time I was tucked in a little before 3. 

When we got back to the room, I opened up all the couches and beds for everyone, and made Peyton and Hayden a spot on the floor. 


Gwen was staying the night with us too, so she got the chair bed. 


Everyone was pretty tuckered out. 


All in all, a pretty great birthday. I'm not sure I could have squeezed one more second of excitement out of the day.  It'll be hard to top this birthday for sure.  So far, 40 isn't so bad. (In all honesty, it just sounds weird to say I'm 40, I don't feel any different or anything- and these boys keep me pretty young, so I'm ok with being 'over the hill'.) 

No comments:

Post a Comment