Monday, August 30, 2021

Corinne's 40th Birthday Extravaganza: Day Three

Good morning from the Kidani Safari! My birthday extravaganza continues!


First up is breakfast. I brought my Mickey Waffle Maker to make Mickey Waffles AT Disney. 


Awesome, right? 





Who doesn't love a nice breakfast spread? 



After breakfast Asa was heading home to check on the dogs and cats (Etta had never been left home a lone before- it was her first time not at the kennel, which meant the cats needed to be closed in somewhere--sometimes she gets weird around them-- anyway, shout out to Asa for checking in on them for me, and getting pet cam to watch from afar). 

Anyway, with Asa leaving to go home we decided to do some presents. Because then he could run them back home for me. 

Clint passed on some nice puzzles for us (and returned the awful grey puzzle from Nate and Allison)


And mom had a box of goodies for me. 


Mostly a bunch of my old stuff (it's what we all get for our 40th birthdays). 


Some of it was old Disney stuff. We were here for my 5th birthday, so there were tickets, maps and even a hoop dee doo menu/poster that I plan on framing. 


And of course the coveted bottle of Geritol that's been handed to and from family members for YEARS. My Aunt Debbie first gave it to my dad on his 40th birthday, we believe. When I was... FOUR YEARS OLD. 


The expiration date was in 1986!


But, I also got a shirt I wanted from the Hayes Presidential Center. 


As Asa headed off, we played some games. 



And then we decided to make the trek over to Jambo House to use the pool. Mom had to get all ready. You need a lot of things for Disney these days- hat, sunglasses, mask. It's like you're going to the pool incognito. 


The Animal Kingdom Lodge actually has two hotels: Kidani, and Jambo House. Jambo House was only open to DVC members though, so it was really quiet over there. Still, if you're staying at either resort you can come and go to each of the hotels or use the pools, or whatever. So we took the little trail and made our way over to Jambo House. 


They have their own safari over there too, so we checked that out. 


And, with so few rooms being used, the pool was pretty empty. 



We did have slide races for an Olympic medal. Clint timed us and everything. Here are your medalists. 


We also played some Ping Pong.. 



And got some drinks (thanks Cort & Holly!) 


Banana Cabana's all around! 


And we swung by to see the Flamingos before we left. 


Back at the room Asa had arrived back from his trip and we decided it was cake time! Clint was only staying through Monday morning, and we decided it was best to have my cake when everyone was there. So, Sunday it was: just a couple days early. 


Look at it! And it came in the cutest box!


It even opens up all nice so you just slide the cake right out. 


And, it even said Happy Birthday on the back! 


I couldn't put my candles in the pretty cake, so I put them on my zebra domes I had bought at the gift shop. 


There were lots of pictures taken of my cake... 



..before I finally cut into it. But, people were pretty excited about it. 


It was very good cake! 


After cake we attempted mini golf over at Fantasia Gardens. 




I say attempted, because we broke up into three groups and when the first group of me, Asa, Gwen and Hayden were on the first hole, it closed because of lightning and thunder in the area. We were given a rain check, but that was a bit of a bummer. 


We were even trying to play the Fairways course, which is supposed to be really hard (think more real golf putting green than mini golf). 


And I believe it, Gwen, Hayden and Asa all took six strokes- the max- on the first hole. Some even had their ball go in the bushes. 



But, I got it in on five- and, that was the only hole we did. So technically, I think I won mini golf. Good for me!


Back at the room, I decided we could have an Olympic event. I thought about what ones would travel well, and I decided we could do diving at Kidani, but instead of dropping our pennies into containers from a chair, we could do them from the balcony! 



So, I brought along some containers, the numbers we used in the first competition, and a jar of pennies. You got to drop 10 pennies, highest score wins. 

This was actually way more entertaining than you'd think dropping pennies off balconies into tiny containers of water would be. There was lots of oohhh-ing and ahhh-ing. 



Look, even grandma took part! Clint was the only one who opted out, but he did come watch. 



And your diving medalists... 


Now, Garrett is a little smaller than the rest of us, so we tried to gear some events toward him. We invented 'water flipping' while down at the pool and Garrett was so good at it, he won the gold. Calib was the only other person to take part- and he was so bad at it, he got the Bronze. (Peyton wins for getting the pillow to land directly on Calib's head by throwing it off the balcony). 


And while we were at the Jambo House pool, there was a game of tug-o-war, in which poor Garrett was the rope (which we said earned him the gold). Calib won the actual game, so he got the silver, and Gwen and Hayden collected the Bronze. 


It was closing ceremonies night of the real Olympics, so we had a real around the world spread of food. Asa brought back a bunch of the leftover stuff we had here, and some appetizers from the freezer, and we were able to get bread service from Sanaa to go along with it. 


Awesome spread. 


And the rain had finally stopped, and we got a gorgeous full rainbow over the savanah. 


While the real Olympics were over, our Olympic flame continued through my birthday. 


We watched the closing ceremonies, and played some games, and some of us went for another late night pool trip. 


I however, had a tub I needed to use. I even brought bubbles for the occasion! 



And I had a tv to watch while I soaked, too! 


After that, there was a lot of light night action on the savannah outside our room. You can't really see, but there were a couple zebra down there, so I decided I needed to eat a zebra dome WITH the zebras! 


And then, it was bedtime! 


I leave you with the nightly picture Cort made us all take. 










No comments:

Post a Comment