Sunday, February 6, 2022

2022 Winter Olympics, Day 1: Opening Ceremonies

 It's Winter Olympic Time! Just six months after we finished the summer games. I guess Covid did give me the shortest time between Olympics ever, so silver lining, right? 

Anyway, we started doing the Olympics here EIGHT years ago. Can you believe that? The whole thing started back in 2014 with the Sochi Games. I was surprised I got the boys on board to do the Olympics here this summer for the delayed 2020 games in Tokyo, but then they were excited about doing the winter games, too. I can't believe I'm still getting them to do these things. But, I'm under no illusions that this won't be my last Olympics. No way I get a 24 year old Calib to do this, right? (Because he will be 24 next summer games- yikes!) 

I'll enjoy it while it lasts, though. So this is my Olympic swan song, and we're going out in style. I'm digging out lots of stuff from four years ago, and I'm making them even better! Take their skis... 

We made them back in 2018 for the last Winter Olympics in Pyeongchang. and they were ok. 

And yes, I kept flip flops duct taped to to spray painted fence posts in my garage for the last four years. Don't judge me. 


This year, I sanded them down, and even spray painted them with their names. 


And, I upgraded the flip flops which barely worked, and broke on a couple of them, for old tennis shoes! 


Of course, I made very official medals.. 


And, I also made everyone tshirts, which I haven't taken pictures of yet, so I'll try and remember to come back and post them later. 

Plus, I made a banner for the medal stand. 




And then the usual... we have the leader board. 


As well as their clipboards to keep track of all their medals, bets, and Spotlight countries. 


We're structuring the Olympics just like last time, so each day there is a new mystery Spotlight Country, where they have to guess what country the info sheet is about (some are much easier than others). 



And in an effort to get them involved in the real Olympics, they can also place their bets on certain events. 


So, our Black History section in the kitchen will have a different purpose for the next two weeks. But, then it'll go back to featuring our monthly Black History Heroes. 


I also had kept the torch I made for Tokyo and just repurposed it a bit. Yes, I kept an empty wrapping paper roll in my closet for six months. Don't judge me. 


And, we got out the Olympic flame, ready to be lit. This thing has only been around since 2016 for the Rio Summer Games, it wasn't with us for our first Olympics. But, everyone knows when this comes out, it's Olympic time! 


We had to hold our opening ceremonies on Thursday night, because Calib closed on Friday night. 

Of course, no Opening Ceremonies can commence without an around-the-world dinner. A combination of frozen stuff... 


...and other little snacks, dips, and desserts. 


A nice spread! Everyone rather enjoyed it. 


Of course, we also raised our Olympic flags (using the same ones we designed for Tokyo). 


And then we had to light the torch. Or, rather, have a fire outside. 


Calib "lit" the torch, who handed it off to Hayden, who handed it off to Peyton to light our official torch inside. 



We declare these games open! 


And then the boys all decided we should actually burn the torch. I allowed it, because we won't need it again, and it seemed like a fitting end. 


That was it for our opening ceremonies! 

Calib had to close on Friday, so Asa, Hayden and I had Finer Things Club for dinner. 

We had a lot of leftovers, for the night before, so it worked out well. 


And then Hayden, Asa, Peyton (intermittently) and I all watched the Opening Ceremonies. We like the parade of nations, and the torch lighting, of course. 

That's it for day one of our Winter Olympics! 

Oh, but hey, after the weekly numbers came out, we're back on the chart! with 94.9 cases per 100,000! Looks like a Disney trip might be in my future. If we can squeeze it in with the Olympics of course. 





1 comment:

  1. Love it! Knowing your family though, I'm not convinced you won't be making another torch for the next Olympics in 2024!

    ReplyDelete