Monday, February 14, 2022

2022 Winter Olympics, Day 11: Short Track

It's Day 11 of the Winter Games, and while I wasn't sure we'd be able to sneak in an event, we were able to get one done pretty quick in our small window when everyone was available! 


Our country today was Albania, though Peyton was the only one to guess the Spotlight Country correctly. 

I picked Albania specifically for a Monday, because the dinner is SO easy to make, and I'm usually the one making dinner on Mondays. Qofte Piqum is actually something we make occasionally around here. It's potatoes, red onion, tomatoes and meatballs all in the bubble in brown. You just add a little olive oil, season it, and give it a jush- and ta da! Dinner. Pair it with a salad (with tomatoes and feta) and fruit, and you are good to go. 

I also pulled out some leftover fondue stuff, bread, and wine from previous countries/days to use up some leftovers. 


I was pretty proud of my Monday dinner (I don't do dinner often, but this one looked pretty). Calib was at work, and Peyton had dinner with Jasmine on a call, so it was just Asa, Hayden and I. 



So, I did have bobsled planned for today (maybe even two man for Valentines Day), but that would take a little longer. I needed an under 10 minute activity, and short track speed skating fit the bill. I took the track in the garage we had for regular speed skating, and added some red lines for the "short track", then you basically play musical chairs. 


And of course, you had a variety of "skates" to choose from. 


Asa turned around to play music, and when he stopped it, if you were in the short track spot, you advanced. If not, you were eliminated. Along the way, I peeled off more and more red lines to make the short track smaller. Hayden and Peyton both had an advantage, so they got an extra try if they weren't eliminated. Hayden was out first and then Peyton and Calib cut a deal (because Peyton likes the "silver" medal candy better than the gold.) I don't have pictures from the actual event, because I took video instead. You know, in case we needed to check a replay to see if someone was in the red or not when the music stopped. 

Your 2022 Short Track Speed Skating Medalists.. 

Besides having bet on the Super Bowl last night (Hayden was the only one to get it right), the boys also bet on Ice Dancing, in which France took home the gold. Since there were only three different countries competing, only the gold medal won the bet. So, Calib and Hayden got a pay out there.

 And of course, Hayden got the $1 for picking the Rams. It was a good game, I thought. I like close ones! And, I'm glad if it wasn't us, it was the Rams. But, I do feel bad for the Bengals. Apparently, they're one of 12 NFL Teams that have never won a Super Bowl. Still, how bout that halftime show? And, after the Super Bowl, there was Mono-Bob (one person bobsled), where the US took home the gold and silver, so that was fun.

It's been a busy morning around here, our internet went out last night, and Calib had a paper due, so he was scrambling with that this morning (Asa has since taught him how to use his phone as a hot spot), and then he was off to work. I spent the morning cleaning up the mess that was this weekend- with events and the Super Bowl and everything, getting the laundry done, and putting the kitchen back together. We've decided to try out the table in this position for now, per Hayden's suggestion. It has it's pros and cons, so we'll see. 

And I also had to get the Olympic stuff back up to date in order for Calib to do his stuff before he headed out today. There was much discussion about the mystery Spotlight Country for tomorrow. Calib and Hayden worked together to figure it out, though. Which isn't strictly against the rules. 

Spoiler Alert: tomorrow our country is Haiti, which was fitting for our Crash Course World History video today, which was all about the Haitian Revolution. Hayden will hear more about this a couple of Black History Lectures from now, too, so it was good timing for this video. (We decided since all the stuff in the kitchen was Olympic stuff, we'd take a Black History break- I'm supposed to be stockpiling lectures though, so we can knock a bunch out post-Olympics. So far I have one, so I've gotta get on that). 


Also worth noting, today is Valentine's Day, so Asa and I got brunch delivered. Monday's are usually crazy for him, but we fit it in, and it was delicious! Plus the company was awesome. 


The plan tomorrow is for Hayden, Peyton, Asa and I to go to Disney before the Festival of the Arts is over on Monday. I'll believe it when I see it (the boys often bail on Disney trips), but the weather should be nice. Peyton is in it for the food, and Hayden for the art. Still, we'll see who goes. (Maybe that should be what we're betting on for tomorrow!) However, if we do make it to Disney tomorrow, I'm not sure if we'll get to an event/dinner. We'll do our best and see how it goes. 

As always, I leave you with the leaderboard.. 



No comments:

Post a Comment