Saturday, February 12, 2022

2022 Winter Olympics, Day 9: Speed Skating

   Welcome to Day 9 of our Winter Olympic Games! Our event today was Speed Skating, and our Spotlight Country was Slovakia. 



While we weren't having a country for dinner, we still did a spotlight country. Everyone was pretty sure it was either Czech Republic, Slovenia or Slovakia. So, close. But, nobody actually got Slovakia correct. So, nobody added to their Spotlight total today and nobody got any advantage in the event. 

Our event we bet on for the day was Biathlon- Mens 10km sprint. Hayden insists on betting on Canada, even if their odds aren't very good. He recently decided he wanted to move there, and so he keeps picking them every chance he gets. Peyton picks China, whenever given the chance (because he's convinced they're cheating), and Calib usually goes with the best odds, because, he liked money so much, so he took France. 

Norway took home both the gold and the bronze, while France got the silver. So, Calib was the only one who cashed in (though I forgot to take a picture of the board-- there was a lot going on today!!) 

Originally for Speed skating, I was going to build a track in the kitchen. But, when I built the skeleton track on the floor of the garage, I realized that would work for our skating track too! I was just going to have them race in fuzzy socks, but then, Calib's computer chair broke, and I saw it as an opportunity before trash day! It was a timed event, where you had to "skate" around the track 5 times without going off the track. To "skate" you put one knee on the chair, and a foot on the floor. It was more about controlling yourself to stay on the track than anything else. 

Peyton was up first. 


Then Hayden took a spin on the track. 


Then Calib..


And then Asa was up next. 


I went last, but I guess nobody took my picture. 

It's ok, at least I got a medal! Asa clocked in with the gold. Hayden came in with the silver, and I made it onto the podium with a bronze. 


Your 2022 Speed Skating Medalists... 

So if we didn't have Slovakia dinner, what did we have? Well, usually on Valentines Day we have a Fondue dinner. But, we won't know Calib's schedule next week until Sunday afternoon (usually), and he didn't want to miss it. So, we decided we'd have it on Saturday since we knew he'd have the day off. 

As always, there was chocolate, and cheese... 



And lots of dippers. 


Of course tomorrow is Super Bowl Sunday. A Super Bowl, and the Olympics? Yes Please! I've been putting the finishing touches on the Snackadium tonight, in preparation of filling it tomorrow afternoon. 

Nothing will ever be as cool as when I got to make the Raymond James Snackadium for the Bucs playing in the Super Bowl (and winning-- all on Hayden's birthday), but I think this snackadium is pretty good. I used all my crafting stuff on it: my laminater, my cricut (vinyl, cardstock and htv), even my sewing machine. And it comes complete with peg dolls. 




I even tried my hand at making some glass candy, but I'm not sure yet how that'll turn out. 


I will note, today is the last day the Bucs get to be the "reigning Super Bowl Champions", so I finally put together a frame for the office with the newspaper from when they won. I filled in the top and sides with pictures from the days leading up to the Superbowl, the day itself (including the flyover we could see from our backyard) and things like the side of the stadium decorated for the Super Bowl champs and the NFL Kickoff this season. There's a ton of glare on my pictures. But trust me, it's cool. We always said we were saving that wall in the office for a paper, in case the Bucs ever won the Super Bowl. So, it was a fitting little gift for Asa. 


We had to go out to run errands, since we had chicken tenders to pick up for the Snackadium, and there were all kinds of flowers on the corners. Asa was joking if I wanted flowers for Valentines Day (I am not a flower/bouquet person- but I said I would take a plant.) So, on the way home he decided we should stop by Dunchins and pick up some succulents. I got a couple little ones and a cactus. Because, that's the kind of girl I am. 

That's it for today. Tomorrow, the Olympics and the Super Bowl Collide! I leave you with the leader board pictures. 





No comments:

Post a Comment