Sunday, February 13, 2022

2022 Winter Olympics, Day 10: Super Olympic Bowl Sunday

 For the first time ever, the Olympics AND the Super Bowl are taking place on the same day! Welcome to Super Olympic Bowl Sunday! 


The spotlight country today was Georgia. Though, we weren't having a meal for it, because, of course, it's Snackadium Day. Everyone but Calib got it correct. Calib didn't submit a guess...


Apparently thinking it was Austria he wrote it down on his betting card for womens 500 meter Speed Skating.  And then proceeded to write his bet of Japan on Haydens card. It was a whole thing. By the time we realized what he did, I had erased all the odds on favorites, so Hayden said to just keep Japan as his bet. Which all turned out in Hayden's favor, since Japan took home the silver in that event. The US came in with the gold, and ROC rounded out the podium with a bronze. So, Hayden was the only one to get a payout, all thanks to Calib. 


But, they also bet on the Super Bowl today too! Hayden's picking the Rams, while Calib and Peyton went with the Bengals. 

The event today was Ice Dancing, which is pretty much the easiest event ever. I just print out some score cards, and make the boys do the rest. They're judged on their song choice, enthusiasm, outfit, and "ice dancing". 

Peyton said this one is so easy to win, you just have to commit to making a fool out of yourself. 

Up first was Hayden... 

And his scores... (in case of ties, we also made a placement preference for each kid) 

Calib was next... 

And his scores (I would have taken off points if I knew ahead of time he googled 'old people songs from the 90s to come up with a song). 

And finally Peyton... 


He said he had a summer and winter theme because of the Olympics happening so close together. (And a mask, you know, to be Covid friendly). 

And his scores.. 


Your 2022 Ice Dancing Medalists... (Peyton finally won his first gold!) 


Also, Asa and I got gold medals... in waiting for the kids. Getting all three of them to be ready to do something at the same time takes a Herculean effort. 

As amazing as the Ice Dancing competition is though, you're probably here to see pictures of this years Snackadium. A couple years ago, I moved from a cardboard construction of one, to making a very simple wooden one that I could change up year to year. Of course last year I got to make Raymond James Stadium for the Bucs, complete with a watermelon pirate ship! This year, I had a vision for making Sofi Stadium, and I think it turned out pretty well. I wanted to get some kind of canopy for it, so I took some grey material and made basically a pillowcase that I "stuffed" with posterboard to give it that canopy look. It's held up by some plaster of paris pillars I made by filling some paper towel and toilet paper tubes with the plaster and then adding some magnets to both the pillars and the canopy to have it all hold in place. 
Of course out front they have the big "Sofi Stadium" sign, along with the logo, so I made that with my cricut and some blue card stock. 



Of course, there's the river out front, so I made some rock candy for the water. I should have used blue food coloring, but I didn't have any, still, it looks cool. And, on the "stage" made out of blocks you'll find a little peg doll version of Joe Burrow, Matt Stafford, and Snoop Dogg (since he's doing the halftime show). 

On the inside of the stadium, you have the Rams sidleine... 


And the Bengals sideline...  Complete with team colors from tape, logos thanks to my cricut, and homemade pennants courtesy of my laminater and glue gun. 


The field is a bean dip, covered in lettuce and decorated in sour cream for Super Bowl LVI. I used to do a cake, but the bean dip is much more popular. 

Of course it's also the Olympics, and the back end of the stadium features a Super Bowl and Olympic signs, along with some around-the-world-snacks we had leftover (and a few dippers we had left from yesterday's fondue). I even added some colored tape around the bowls to make them into the Olympic rings. 

Of course the stadium is filled with different kinds of chips, PDQ tenders, and Publix subs. 


I used to buy the platter of Publix subs, but we've determined that you get more bang for your buck if you just order a normal sub -or three- and ask them to be cut into six pieces instead of two. It totally works, and they'll even give you the mayo and mustard packets like for the platters if you ask. Also protip: Buy your chips at Aldi and Costco for the best bang for your buck. 

Since sleeping schedules have been so weird, I did one fill of the Snackadium and lunch time..

..and another just before the Super Bowl began.. 



Tomorrow we're on a bit of a break. I find it unlikely we'll be able to swing an event, because Asa has work all day, and Calib has school and then closes. I have an easy dinner planned, and a bet to be placed, but that might have to be it for the Olympics tomorrow. Luckily, Calib opens the rest of the week, so tomorrow is the only issue. 

And now we're off to watch the Super Bowl! I'm rooting a little for the Rams, but I don't really mind who wins. Just hoping for a good game, fun commercials, and an awesome half time show. 

Your look at the leaderboard before I sign off... 










No comments:

Post a Comment