Thursday, February 10, 2022

2022 Winter Olympics, Day 7: Skeleton

 It's Day 7 of the 2022 Winter Games! Our country today was Azerbaijan and our event was Skeleton!  

Hayden continues to baffle me. He couldn't get the Netherlands, or Germany, but has no problem with the lesser known countries. He even showed off on this one by writing the capital city (Baku). He said it was super easy, because he drew the flaming towers in the postcard picture on his postcard back during the country project. Some things stick with you, I guess. 


The event the boys bet on for today was Mixed Team Aerials, and both Peyton and Hayden got payouts. The USA won the gold (they're up to three!), China came in with the silver, and Canada came in with the Bronze. 

For our event, I picked up a magentic set of a skeleton. Their job would be to label the skeleton as fast as possible, all while navigating the track on Calib's long board. They could bring over two labels at once from the starting area, to the refrigerator to label the skeleton. For every bone you listed correctly, you shaved 3 seconds off your time. 


I thought about doing this in the kitchen. But, I ultimately decided to use the garage. It had the smoothest surface for the long board, and that fridge has less magnets on it than the one in the kitchen. Less disruption. (Don't mind the mess though, I have Olympic stuff and Snackadium stuff and stuff to go to Goodwill, plus general garage crap out there, so it's kind of a disaster right now). 

So there I was, sweeping out the garage, making a track for skeleton in the garage at 10 am this morning. (I'm not thinking maybe we could just use this for speed skating too, and I wouldn't even need to use the kitchen!) 


Calib had to work this morning, but since it was a timed event, we didn't need to wait to get everyone in one place at one time. This is key to doing the Olympics with a 21, 19, and 16 year old. 

Hayden was up first. He did... okay on the labeling. 

Peyton went next, and did fine on the labeling, but worse on his general time around the track. 


Calib had a good mix of speed and accuracy. 

And he came out victorious by a good amount. We forgot to give Hayden an advantage, since he chose that for getting Azerbaijan correct, so he's banked an advantage for later. (I don't think it would have mattered, anyway. Calib had a healthy lead.) 


Your 2022 Skeleton medalists.... (Ellie refused to move, so I just took the picture). 


Asa and I ran out for some errands this afternoon. We went to wawa for lunch and then over to Aldis, and we ended up running into Calib in line for gas at Costco. I've never felt older in my life. 

For dinner tonight we had Plov. There's a million different recipes for this one, and I couldn't find the exact one we used back during the country project, so we just winged it. Plov is basically a rice pilaf with meat and veggies, so you can do it anyway you want, really.  I forgot to take a picture of my plate, so no Plov picture. But, I did take a picture of the salad and the fruit.. 

And of course, we finished it off with some apple sharlotka! This one has been a staple recipe since the country project, everyone loves it so much. 



The leaderboard after Day 7... 

Hayden is ahead as far as money, but he is tied with Calib for points for their medals (3 for 1st, 2 for 2nd, 1 for 3rd), and Peyton is only two points behind that. Though Peyton is still looking for his first gold. So, it's still pretty close. 

Last night was really cold around here. The dogs did not enjoy it. But, I hear we're going to be on a warming trend soon, so that's good (Although rain is predicted most of Sunday so I'm going to need to do a little moving around of the schedule to avoid an outdoor event that day- and a kitchen event since the Snackadium will be in there! So, I'm not entirely sure what event we'll be doing tomorrow). 

But I do know the country tomorrow is Belgium, but man, there was some discussion about what the spotlight country was. Asa likes to screw with the boys after they've all submitted their guesses and act like he's thinking about what it was, and then he always comes up with the correct answer... because I told him ahead of time so he knows what he's cooking. 

No comments:

Post a Comment